Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Chrony (F1) Mods.

Shooting Chrony (F1) Mods.

Update
    For an easy PC interface see Stots thread here

Remote control (simple)

The simple remote for the F1 and Alpha allows you to step through some statistics and the shot memory using the F1's built in display. This is otherwise only available using the Function button on the Ballistic printer.

Being a cheapskate I wasn't going to fork out $16 for the remote (especially since it would probably be nearer £20 by the time I got one over here ) so I knocked one up quickly from my junk box. If you buy the parts from Maplins it will still come in at under £5. (Part numbers in italics)

Parts list:
    3.5 mm Stereo jack [Code: HF98G £1.29]
    Pushbutton switch [Code: FH59P £1.29]
    ~1 metre 2 core cable [Code: XR20W 69p Per metre]
    Small box [Code: N78BQ £1.49]

How to:

Mount the switch in the box.
    Solder the cable across the two connectors.
    Solder the other end to the Sleeve and Ring of the audio plug. Diagram
    Yes it's that simple!!!

Completed remote.

If you build this keep the box you mount the switch in fairly small then it fits nicely inside the chrony

Usage.
    (Taken from the manual)

The push button on the Remote Control is the equivalent of the FU button (or Function button) on the Chrony Printer.
    The F-1 Chrony will provide you with summary data such as Hi, Lo, Average velocities and the total number of shots fire. Plus: Extreme Spread, Standard Deviation as well as numbered shots and retrieval of individual shot velocities.

1. Deleting Single Shot:
    Press & release the button repeatedly until the desired shot number is displayed (NOT the velocity). Press & hold the button until display flashes. Release button immediately. The Chrony will automatically adjust the statistics.
    2. Starting a new String:
    Turn your Chrony OFF and the ON again. Or, (if you don’t want to get up) press & release the FU button until -Hi- is displayed. Hold the button in until the display changes to -CL-, then release the button. -Clr- is now displayed. Press & release the button until the display changes to -CLS-, then press & hold button in until the display flashes. Release button immediately.
    3. Retrieve Information:
    Anytime you wish, you may view the data you have produced. To do this, simply press the button, identify the information you are about to receive, release button and read the information. Repeat this process for each piece if information shown below.

[CODE]What you see on press What it means What you see on release
    -Sn-
    String number Will always be #1 with the F-1 Chrony;
    -Lo-
    Lowest velocity velocity of the slowest shot
    -Hi-
    Highest velocity velocity of the fastest shot
    -Av-
    Average velocity Average velocity of all shots
    -ES-
    Extreme Spread Hi velocity minus Lo velocity
    -Sd-
    Standard Deviation Standard deviation of string of shots
    -To-
    Total number of shots recorded since Chrony was turned on. The number of shots fired.
    -10-
    # of last shot fired velocity of 10th shot
    -9-
    # of next to last shot fired velocity of 9th shot[/CODE]

etc., etc., repeat until all the shots have been shown, then -[ ]- appears. This means the end of the data and, that you are ready to shoot again. If you press the button again, you start the viewing cycle over again. Simply pressing and releasing the button takes you from one piece of data to the next.. If you wish at any time during the viewing process to return to the working mode, stop pressing the button and wait 15 seconds. It returns to the working mode by itself. Sometimes, if you hold the button down for more than two seconds at a time, the unit will go into a sub-menu. Wait 15 seconds, it will return to normal by itself. When you think that you may have done something wrong, take your hands off, and it will go back to normal by itself.

Next mod (when I get time) will be slightly more involved. A LED light source for indoor use, battery powered. The genuine units are ~$60 I reckon it can be done for under a tenner.

ATB
    Last edited by SpikeG; 03-07-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added a few images and Maplin part numbers.

Placeholder for LED lightsource when done. (That way I have to do it )

Test record (Airgun) in *.doc format. As a PDF here
    Crib sheet (Short explanation of display readings, small enough to laminate and tape in the bottom of the chrony) As a PDF Here
    Manual for the F1 (in PDF, I couldn't find this anywhere so knocked it up quickly)
    Quickstart Manual for F1 etc (Again in PDF)

All of above in one Zip file. Here.

Added 22/6/09

Muzzle velocity chart in PDF format. Here.
    Covers:
    • .177 Heavy
    • .22 Heavy
    • .22 Extra heavy
    • .22 special *

*(Very light, Bisley Magnum & H&N 30grain)
    Last edited by SpikeG; 22-06-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added links.

Thumbs up

Wow, this is pretty useful stuff.

Thanks Spike!

You can get this info from a standard F1? Cool.. I was going to build this, its too easy not to!

Also going to try and build the PC interface. Problem as i understand it is getting the MOSFETs that wont fry from static from the jack tip, cant get them in Maplin. I was going to incorporate a switch which grounds the Jack in one position and allows data in the other. Should mean the MOSFETS wont fry as long as I dont forget to use it.

Cheers
    Stot
    Guns: SLR98 - Phoenix - Ultra - HW45 - P800
    Chronographing: www.chronoconnect.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stot View Post
    You can get this info from a standard F1? Cool.. I was going to build this, its too easy not to!
    The only ones you cant are the pre 2000 models (iirc) as they don't have the serial connector on.

As for easy... yup
    It could even be built without a soldering iron, using a lead from a scrap pair of headphones some terminal strip and duct tape

Cool mine does have the jack so ill be heading to maplin later.

Cheers
    Stot

Muzzle velocity chart added to third post. (Ideal to laminate and keep with Chrony)

I've got the LEDs for the lights now so I'll build and do a tutorial in the next few days, time permitting.
    Last edited by SpikeG; 22-06-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks for the heads up Spike, I will be off to Maplins in the morning
    ATB
    G.

sniper22 Guest
    can you build a cable to interface with my pc? pref usb. also is the software available?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper22 View Post
    can you build a cable to interface with my pc? pref usb. also is the software available?
    That's in development Tony (sort of) I'm experimenting a bit, as is Stot but it's a) Getting the time and b) Getting it to work

There is a company who sell serial and usb interfaces with software called ChronoCap but it's not cheap enough @$75 (for me anyway) to be tempted until I've given up trying to make one.

Shooting chrony also do software and a serial interface but I'm led to believe the software is specific to Beta and Gamma chronys, rather than the F1.
    Last edited by SpikeG; 23-06-2009 at 05:58 PM.

sniper22 Guest
    pooh and again more pooh

Gloucester or Cemaes or somewhere in between
    It would be interesting to see if the timing pulse could be used for triggering external devices like flashguns and cameras I'm guessing when the first beam is broken it sets a pulse high and then resets it to low when the 2nd beam is broken. The pulse length then gives you a time over a set distance, then calculates the velocity based on the beam separation.
    Weapon of choice: A 600mm Canon. Author of the Pellet Photobase. Twitter me or Burp the Frog
    "It's not what you feel that matters, it's who you touch"

Ive actually got something on the go right now that should work and is going to be real easy to make. Should have something next week.

As for software. I found a piece of DOS software that will create a list of shots with power in lb and joules when you enter a pellet weight. You can then save it off and pull it into excel or something similar.

The software works with Chrono or Combro too.

>HERE<

Cheers
    Stot

Id be interested in trying out the camera trigger idea too.

Cheers
    Stot