Thread: Webley Hawk MkIII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Quite right harry mac
    And it did give me a spare piston and cylinder to try O rings out on (19mm Id x 2.5mm works Guy ).
    I'd be interested to hear the results of the o-ring experiment. Does it increase the power at all?
    I've got a spare MKIII which is there solely to act as a donor rifle for spare parts should the others need them. It exhibits nearly every fault that the Hawks are renowned for.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I'd be interested to hear the results of the o-ring experiment. Does it increase the power at all?
    I've got a spare MKIII which is there solely to act as a donor rifle for spare parts should the others need them. It exhibits nearly every fault that the Hawks are renowned for.
    Hi Harry

I've not tried the O rings in a working gun yet as I need to get a few parts from John Knibbs' before I start.
    The original PTFE rings never seemed to work very well and when they did they didn't last very long. On hydraulic applications a PTFE ring like that would have a rubber ring under it to force it outwards onto the cylinder wall to create a good seal. The Hawk and Osprey rings just tend to sit on the piston with no inbuilt spring to keep them in contact with the cylinder wall.

The 19mm Id x 2.5mm O rings when fitted give an overall crush of 0.028" with 0.014" crush per side. This is a little bit less than I had hoped for but should still work well enough in a small cylinder (24.8mm). When I eventually get around to sorting my Hawk I'll be fitting two O rings to the piston and the gap between them will be used as a reservoir of MS50, this is an old John Bowkett trick I'd like to try and the Hawk lends its self to it rather well.

I'm hoping for a small increase in power with this mod as the piston will have a more positive seal using O rings, so all the air in the cylinder should go up the pipe instead of some blowing past the PTFE rings. I always find O ring seals give a really good shot to shot consistancy as well, so using O rings on the piston should be a win -win situation.

All the best Mick

Hi, I have just aquired a MkII Hawk and it like Harrymac has described in post 3 the end cap pin has distorted the piston tube and the trigger block has fractured and broke off, I was able to set the trigger and chrono it with Bisley Magnums .177 and recorded 10.78ft/lbs, obviously uprated spring at some time. There was no safety. I wonder if it was safer using without than with one? All the recoil and stress has created a split in the stock(repaired) and this pressure has travelled back to the trigger guard pin and transfered leverage to the trigger block (chain reaction) causing metal fatigue and snapping welds. I was hopeing to resurect this gun but it is looking rather doubtfull now.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by westy1946 View Post
    Hi, I have just aquired a MkII Hawk and it like Harrymac has described in post 3 the end cap pin has distorted the piston tube and the trigger block has fractured and broke off, I was able to set the trigger and chrono it with Bisley Magnums .177 and recorded 10.78ft/lbs, obviously uprated spring at some time. There was no safety. I wonder if it was safer using without than with one? All the recoil and stress has created a split in the stock(repaired) and this pressure has travelled back to the trigger guard pin and transfered leverage to the trigger block (chain reaction) causing metal fatigue and snapping welds. I was hopeing to resurect this gun but it is looking rather doubtfull now.
    What shape stock is it in Westy? Early or late MkII?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.