Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
I'd be interested to hear the results of the o-ring experiment. Does it increase the power at all?
I've got a spare MKIII which is there solely to act as a donor rifle for spare parts should the others need them. It exhibits nearly every fault that the Hawks are renowned for.
Hi Harry

I've not tried the O rings in a working gun yet as I need to get a few parts from John Knibbs' before I start.
The original PTFE rings never seemed to work very well and when they did they didn't last very long. On hydraulic applications a PTFE ring like that would have a rubber ring under it to force it outwards onto the cylinder wall to create a good seal. The Hawk and Osprey rings just tend to sit on the piston with no inbuilt spring to keep them in contact with the cylinder wall.

The 19mm Id x 2.5mm O rings when fitted give an overall crush of 0.028" with 0.014" crush per side. This is a little bit less than I had hoped for but should still work well enough in a small cylinder (24.8mm). When I eventually get around to sorting my Hawk I'll be fitting two O rings to the piston and the gap between them will be used as a reservoir of MS50, this is an old John Bowkett trick I'd like to try and the Hawk lends its self to it rather well.

I'm hoping for a small increase in power with this mod as the piston will have a more positive seal using O rings, so all the air in the cylinder should go up the pipe instead of some blowing past the PTFE rings. I always find O ring seals give a really good shot to shot consistancy as well, so using O rings on the piston should be a win -win situation.

All the best Mick