Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Meteor Mk1 trigger

BSA Meteor Mk1 trigger

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would have a diagram of the trigger assembly for a MK1 Meteor?
    I have one that I tried to put back together a few years ago and gave up after many a frustrating hour but I came across it the other day and thought that I would give it another go, I'm sure it's easy one you know how..

Only the bottom pin has been taken out and the rest of the mechanism seems to be all intact. I have the pin, a trigger and a funny shaped spring which I can't seem to put together.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Rob
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day..

THIS may be of some help.

There is also a couple of photos of the Mk 1 trigger, assembled and in bits, in the book AIR RIFLES AND PISTOL MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Q. Cobham.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks for that Ian, I do believe that I have managed to put it back together, only problem now is that it will not cock, the piston goes back no problem but does not seem to catch.
    I dont think anything is missing and it does not look too worn.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Bully View Post
    Thanks for that Ian, I do believe that I have managed to put it back together, only problem now is that it will not cock, the piston goes back no problem but does not seem to catch.
    I dont think anything is missing and it does not look too worn.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
    You may have one of the springs in wrong, so the sear isn't being activated. Will the sear catch if you push the trigger forward whilst the piston is fully back?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    You may have one of the springs in wrong, so the sear isn't being activated. Will the sear catch if you push the trigger forward whilst the piston is fully back?
    Thanks, I have just tried that and it does not catch even with the trigger pushed forward?

Please do not be offended if I ask if you have added washers or fitted a longer spring such that the spring is becoming coil bound when you try to cock it?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Please do not be offended if I ask if you have added washers or fitted a longer spring such that the spring is becoming coil bound when you try to cock it?
    Cheers, Phil
    No offence taken, the gun is as it was when it left the factory, apart form the not cocking thing that is going on now.

Thanks, Rob

Is it possible that you have the trigger spring the wrong way around, with long side on top of the sear and the shorter side underneath?...if so, I think that would cause your problem...flip it around 180 degrees and put it back in

blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Is it possible that you have the trigger spring the wrong way around, with long side on top of the sear and the shorter side underneath?...if so, I think that would cause your problem...flip it around 180 degrees and put it back in

I must admit I am not totally sure that the trigger spring is back in right, even with looking at the diagram..

I have just had another go at it am totally stumped, I'm pretty sure it's all to do with the trigger spring but just can't get it in the right way.

It's ages since I last took a Meteor trigger apart, but I've edited the chambers diagram to better show the spring, have a look here, I think that's right?...
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    It's ages since I last took a Meteor trigger apart, but I've edited the chambers diagram to better show the spring, have a look here, I think that's right?...
    Fantastic, thanks.

Yep that spring is deffinatly in the right way round, it's the kind of "s" shaped one that I am not sure about, it feels like it's in the right place but on closer inspection I dont think it can be as the trigger adjuster screw would be doing nothing.

This is an enlarged section from an original Mk.1 parts diagram.
    Hope it helps: Meteor Trigger
    If you click the cross within a circle icon that should appear, it will enlarge even more.

oops, sorry, I meant the sear spring in last post but it matters not if it's in there right

I think the trigger spring...the hooky bit goes over the back of the trigger, the loop goes in line with the trigger pivot hole, held by the pin, and the other end slips under the trigger stop pin?...like I said it's been ages
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    If you click the cross within a circle icon that should appear, it will enlarge even more.

Excellent stuff, much better than the chambers diagram
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post

Now that is nice and clear, thanks.

I am pretty sure that the trigger is now back as it was meant to be..gun still not cocking though. looks like I will have to dig deeper.