Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your luckiest air gun deal?

bought an "old" .177 Webley Victor off a bloke advertising in the paper for £30, when I picked it up it was a brand new rifle in its box complete with documentation and original reciept, guy couldn't recall ever firing it!

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Does anyone have one of the later type Mercury or Airsporter S's with the tapered fore-end?
    Yes, I have a few of those in my much-treasured BSA collection!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Won an old metal turning lathe on #### and went to pick it up in rural East Anglia. It was an excellent old Milnes with a shed load of tooling...and in the back of the shed was a rusty old air rifle. At the time, I knew nothing at all about old air rifles, but it was marked "BSA" and looked quite an antique. The seller of the lathe was happy to add the rifle into the sale and I added £50 on to the lathe price. Got it all home and began to research old airguns and found the BBS. Turns out to be a 1906 BSA Standard .177 underlever in the 9xxx serial no. range so quite early. It has cleaned up very well, and with the help of the BBS it has a new washer, is lubed and shoots like a dream!

Purchased a bureau for the spare room from the local classifieds about 10years ago. As I struggled to get it up the stairs and into the room I could hear something clunking around inside it. Took all the drawers out and nothing! - Then I spotted a secret drawer - 2mins later in my hand was this:

I had paid £40 for the bureau!

One of my first purchases on here was a Mk2 Vulcan and a BSA Goldstar for £130 delivered, then there was the Alros M400 thumbhole for £45.

All needed fixing, but seeing as my time was free they were all complete bargains.
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    Not an airgun, but I got a 12 gauge Mossberg Newhaven 600AT for £80.
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

Cool

Hey up all!!

Nickle plated premier for £8, it wouldn't cock, the bloke included two sears from Nibbs that cost a lot more than i paid for the pistol!!

it works fine now

i also bought an original (as in not the turk type) Typhoon in mint condition with everything in the box except the scope.... cost a tenner but i sold it again in a moment of madness

recently had a BSA MK6 airsporter given as a freebie- the lad has an Original mod LG45s, the mod with the muzzle weight that he's giving me when he remembers to bring it to work....

Had this Sheridan Silver streak given as a freebie for parts to repair a benjamin that i'd bought but this was better than the Benjamin so it went to Lawrie Amatruda, he re-sealed it and did some repairs, it shoots finme and holds air forever

I can't remember where i bought this BSA Mercury from but it was broken, i paid (i think!) £30 for it, it shoots like a good un now

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Purchased a bureau for the spare room from the local classifieds about 10years ago. As I struggled to get it up the stairs and into the room I could hear something clunking around inside it. Took all the drawers out and nothing! - Then I spotted a secret drawer - 2mins later in my hand was this:

I had paid £40 for the bureau!
    Are you the Devil by any chance Mark? You certainly have his luck.

Great story, great pistol.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

picked up a cobra strike magnum .25, with .177 and .22 barrels. he wanted a tenner but i beat him up to twenty. i had to buy the two side stock bolts,40p, put it together and is running at 11.5 over chrono with rhinos. its my favourite gun ,i use it all the time and i love the .25 cal. since getting this my .177 hw 100 hasnt been shot(approx a year)
    atb
    simon

Bought a Sharp Innova .177 a couple of years back that had been fired a few times by the wifes owner then stored away, think i paid approx £80 for it?

Needless to say it was in the same condition as it left the factory.

Now here's the really dumb bit.......I sold it!
    Will i ever learn???
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Quote Originally Posted by OLD JUD View Post
    fired a few times by the wifes owner then stored away,
    Thats what I like to see, keep the little lady in her place.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

NEVER had a bargain! Been hoping for a .177 Mercury for oooh let me think-YEARS!!! Nope nothing, not a bean-2010 is going to be the year for all of us though...this time next year we are all going to .....

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Thats what I like to see, keep the little lady in her place.
    Wishful thinking mate!
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

£28 for a HW85 deluxe in .177 the guy just wanted rid as was moving to
    New Zealand,now booked in for the full V-Mach treatment...

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Another post that doesn't involve an airgun, but in about 1984 I managed to get hold of a Baikal recoil operated semi-auto 12g for £40. I don't know how old the gun was when I (well, my dad did the buying) bought it, but I had it for 20 years before I foolishly sold it. Even though I got £200 for it, I still regret selling that gun.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.