Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springers with front-to-back piston

Darren Petts Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MikB
    I agree about attaching the scope to the barrel, but the most ergonomic way to cock and load would be a push-forward underlever and a popup or rotating loading tap.

Regards,
    MikB
    Aggree on the cocking but the loading would best be dealt with with a pcp style breech and bolt

civvy Guest
    Anyone remember the one shown in one of the Bowkett Files in AGW years ago? He made it using Titan Manitou and Mohawk parts plus others. The piston came back towards you, when fired, with the trigger in the normal position and the cylinder sandwiched between the two . I saw the prototype and it had a sidelever that you pulled towards you even though it pushed the piston forwards . The pellet loading part was a standard Titan pcp bolt action breechblock. It shot well

Pat... Guest

Talking

Hmmmm......

By definition it would be heavy and being short, would also have a very heavy cocking stroke making it unsuitable for the elderly or those of a portly disposition.....

So why are you lot even thinking about it?

draftsmann Guest
    Heavy....short....heavy cocking stroke....

Sounds like the Park rifle. To be fair, there are ways of keeping the weight down - like the use of aircraft alloys a la Whiscombe. Also, if it had a LOOOOONG sidelever extending the full length of the barrel/receiver, like various single stroke pneumatics, the cocking effort would be, well, quite a lot less than those single stroke rifles.

I still think it is a great idea.

One final thought on front-heaviness - would a gas ram help in that department, what with air being lighter than a steel spring and all that?

Adrian

Pat... Guest
    Not a springer but.

There was an article in AGW years ago about a converted Sharp Innova.....the action had been turned around making a military style rifle that pumped from the rear using the 'but' as a lever.......I don't believe that power levels were a problem with that particular design.

What adrian is describing is a sharp innova type design but with a spring/piston instead of a pump and air-reservoir.......and it does seem pretty simple and straight forward.

We did a Giss system double gas ram rifle with rack and pinion control in the 80's, nice to shoot but no more accurate than std rifle, also no one would have been able to afford it as it was a pain to make as it also had a balance pipe coupling both rams to make them truly identicle.
    I resarrected it and sold it to my freind Ian Marys (I think thats how you spell it) when I sold Theoben.
    Forgot to mention both pistons met in the middle ,loading was with a bolt.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy
    I resarrected it and sold it to my freind Ian Marys (I think thats how you spell it) when I sold Theoben.
    Ben
    Ian Maries of BFTO? Bought his SR many a moon back.
    Could you explain the term 'balance pipe'? Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------

And Pat, I don't know who is feeding you with misinformation (probably, Good For Nothing From Surrey) but I happen to be young and trim...relatively speaking.

draftsmann Guest
    That sounds like the ultimate "non-pneumatic" air rifle, Ben. What was the cocking method? A crank handle would be nice to use but would necessitate a noisy ratchet I guess?

I'm curious (now that this thread has Ben's attention ) what would be the production viability of such a design, using either modern production methods (isn't this what made the SLR98 viable compared to the '88?) - or alternatively if some of the manufacture is carried out in China, say?

Adrian

Civvy,

I was just about to mention that article. So I take it you got to shoot the gun? I would be interested to hear about performance and recoil as compared to a Venom lazaglide. It a shame that he hasn't designed any recoiling guns from scratch for BSA

Alex

draftsmann Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by albrown
    It a shame that he hasn't designed any recoiling guns from scratch for BSA
    Particularly as JB used to do some excellent conversions on the older BSA spring rifles.

Adrian

Rustam, the balance pipe connected the front ram to the rear one so when filling they both got exactly the same charge pressure.
    It was under lever cocking,I have spocken to Ian and if he can, will show a picture of it if you are interested.

Ben

civvy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by albrown
    Civvy,

I was just about to mention that article. So I take it you got to shoot the gun? I would be interested to hear about performance and recoil as compared to a Venom lazaglide. It a shame that he hasn't designed any recoiling guns from scratch for BSA

Alex
    It was a long while ago. What I do remember is that it took little effort to operate the sidelever and was very soft in recoil. The main impression was really of the short overall length - it wa no longer than my 12" Titan. It would have stuck in my memory if it had shot like a Lazaglide tune. The only one of those I had was a real scope breaker, very sharp and quick recoil a bit like a gas rammed rifle. Not nice at all.

Smile

Thanks Ben. So was this balance pipe removed after charging or did it form a 'sleeve' within which the pistons moved?

Would most definetly be interested in seeing this rifle. Thanks a lot.

Rustam

Pat... Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustam Bana
    Thanks Ben. So was this balance pipe removed after charging or did it form a 'sleeve' within which the pistons moved?

Would most definetly be interested in seeing this rifle. Thanks a lot.

Rustam
    And how do you ensure both rams leak at exactly the same rate??

coat etc.....

civvy Guest
    That's the reason for the balance pipe.