Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HFT Guns what should be allowed?

HFT Guns what should be allowed?

Having picked up an airgun magazine today I note with rather surprise that someone has written in on the topic of should certain guns be allowed in HFT.

These seem to fall mostly in the category of dedicated FT guns or modded 10 metre match rifles not wishing to name the makes that they feel perhaps should be banned from taking part.

Could you start to say the same for scopes as there are scopes and there ARE scopes.

As for me if the gun is under the legal requirement for foot pound, surely it is the person that pulls the trigger and has the skill as where to hit the target at the end of the day.

Where do you draw the line in deciding if a gun is legal for HFT, if it ticks the under 12 foot pound box and the stock measurement box.

I am new to this as I only started shooting last year and yes I am one of the cuplrits with one of the named guns, but I don't think I set the world alight, well not yet anyway with my scores, mainly low 50's or high 40's, but I love shooting it and love HFT and trying to beat my best score of 52 so far.

I'm not a hunter and have no intention of being one, but metal target or paper target shooting now that's another matter.

I do hope I haven't upset or offended anyone with this post.

Nicky
    Team Kibworth 2011 UKAHFT.
    Proud to be part of the Daystate UKAHFT winning team 2010.
    http://www.cambridgehft.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by pistolgirl View Post
    surely it is the person that pulls the trigger and has the skill as where to hit the target at the end of the day.

I am new to this as I only started shooting last year
    Looks like you've grasped a concept it takes some shooters years to work out

Where was the article by the way?

I saw that letter too, the guy was shooting a rather nice Steyr in the prone position I believe.
    So what about the new Steyr "Hunter" would that be aloud?
    What about the Walther Dominator "Hunter", same again.
    Just because the main Hunting rifles use sporter stock design's don't make them just for hunting, What about an s400 in a GinB or Paul Wilson? does that make it a target only rifle or a flash hunting only rig.
    I think the guy who wrote that letter is missing the point, if it was "just for Hunters" then go shoot the bunnies on your permission. It is at the end of the day a target disaplin, the "Hunter" part of HFT is, I would think, down to positional shots like kneeling and prone etc not because it's for hunters only, It was origionally and still is a sport where the newbie and Hunter can mix it up with the target only guys on an equal level. Some guys are better shots than others, give them an s200 and they would still put in some top scores. I shoot a Steyr because I like them not because im crap with anything of less value, Im just as crap with the Steyr lol.
    You shoot with the best you can afford, simples.
    FX Streamline STX/Aeron. MTC Connect 3-12x24 SCB

i to shoot with a steyr/viper combo which for me is the ideal kit. other people think the ideal kit is an s200 or perhaps even a daystate. i dont think id shoot any worse if i opted for one of these its just that ive chosen a steyr. like the pistol girl says it the twit pulling the trigger that misses!
    cheers
    dop
    M.A.D FOR IT!

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Which mag is it in? I've got to take Andrea to A&E so will have time to compose a good reply!

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by pistolgirl View Post
    Having picked up an airgun magazine today I note with rather surprise that someone has written in on the topic of should certain guns be allowed in HFT.

As for me if the gun is under the legal requirement for foot pound, surely it is the person that pulls the trigger and has the skill as where to hit the target at the end of the day.

Nicky
    old saying Nicky and you seem to be pretty wise......beware the man(or lady in this case) who shoots the 1 gun

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    Like you said, at the end of the day it's the person with the skill, the gun is only a tiny little part of that.
    The letter says 'should it be restricted to hunting only rifles?' How would you go about enforcing that? You can use any gun for hunting if you wish, thinking about it, target rifles are designed for maximum accuracy, and hunting requires maximum accuracy, so wouldn't taking a target rifle hunting make perfect sense? Yes, they can be a little on the heavy side, but for laying up and ambushing etc.
    Sorry, thinking out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    Which mag is it in? I've got to take Andrea to A&E so will have time to compose a good reply!

Ryan
    It's in the feb edition of airgunner page 17.
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

HFT guns

Well thanks everyone for your kind thoughts i'm glad it wasn't me that was missing the point with the article, I love my Steyr and yes it is a hunter although now sporting a beautiful GinB stock and Leupold scope, I get a lot of pleasure from shooting it and everytime I learn something new, it's a great sport but this person seems to be anonymous with just initials in the mag and clearly doesn't understand the concept of HFT.

Can't wait for the UK's to start again.

Nicky

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali-C View Post
    Like you said, at the end of the day it's the person with the skill, the gun is only a tiny little part of that.
    The letter says 'should it be restricted to hunting only rifles?' How would you go about enforcing that? You can use any gun for hunting if you wish, thinking about it, target rifles are designed for maximum accuracy, and hunting requires maximum accuracy, so wouldn't taking a target rifle hunting make perfect sense? Yes, they can be a little on the heavy side, but for laying up and ambushing etc.
    There's no way I'd treat my hunting guns like my HFT rifle or even consider using them in some of the conditions the Walthers come out to play in! I feel a letter to the editor coming on!

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

HFT guns

I think i'm going to write in as well as clearly the person who wrote the article is missing the point and hasn't got a clue about HFT and what it is all about.

What do they expect people to shoot Pea shooters.

Now thers's an idea!!

Nicky

Ryan
    Spiderman outfit off the top of the wardrobe again?
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

Quote Originally Posted by Ali-C View Post
    Well I'm ok cos if I go hunting my Wolf is the gun I use
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    Spiderman outfit off the top of the wardrobe again?
    Don't be silly......Ryan ONLY does Batman

Ryan..is Andrea ok mate?...drop me a PM/email
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Feral is offline One of my mil dots is missing
    There's no way I'd treat my hunting guns like my HFT rifle or even consider using them in some of the conditions the Walthers come out to play in! I feel a letter to the editor coming on!

Ryan
    When I read the offending letter a couple of weeks ago my first thought was 'I wonder if Ryan is going to be writing in to point out his Walthers get carted up hill and down dale'

actually it was my second, my first thought was 'Not this old chestnut again'

Good post Nicky!

Atb

Cliff
    Walther dominator Lightstream FFP, s200 with Viper 10x44 - Buxted HFT My A4 Targets - HFT Kill zone sizes