Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 12ft/lbs Limit Is Really Stupid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think the 12ftlb limit is fine for hunting especially in .177. FAC air is great for pushing the envelope a few yards further, but who can estimate hold over consistantly once it gets greater than 4 inches in the real world. Add windage to the problem and the .22lr comes to the fore or even something stronger if the land permits.

"Extra 10yds"

As stated FAC air rifles will open up a new world for you as far as range goes, although I like .177 theres not really that much point as you can more or less choose your velocity in .22, for reliable pellet performance you need to be comforatably below the speed of sound though, my fav is about 950fps with JSBs or around 30ftlb, accurate and humane for 70+ yds if your shooting is up to it and wind permitting, otherwise as stillair says get a rimfire too

Baz

bozzerman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baz
    "Extra 10yds"

As stated FAC air rifles will open up a new world for you as far as range goes, although I like .177 theres not really that much point as you can more or less choose your velocity in .22, for reliable pellet performance you need to be comforatably below the speed of sound though, my fav is about 950fps with JSBs or around 30ftlb, accurate and humane for 70+ yds if your shooting is up to it and wind permitting, otherwise as stillair says get a rimfire too

Baz
    ....well I'm taking rabbits with my meteor .22 at 65 yards.....so like I said.....@ another 10 yards.

B Z

Ok Ok .... so it's a bit more than 10 yards.....I'll shut up now.

B Z

Smile

very interesting thread being unfortunatly old enough to remember those halcyon days when a shot gun certificate was purchased from the post office and there was no limit on power to air rifles .there were some examples that would now be in the f.a.c. territory i had a very nice original underlever which had tremendous power but with the pellets and scopes then available to the general public the pwer couldnt be applied accuratly. obviously this is now not the case and i would very muck like to try an f.a.c. pcp just to see if these distances are realy acheivable and still allow consistant clean kills. i have to say my feeling is that much over 40 metres and no matter how good the gun and scope the kill percentage would start to drop due to the need to be so accurate as obviously the longer the range the more the poi changes due to very small movement from the muzzle.

engineer

loiner1965 Guest
    i would be in favour of regestering my air rifles for increase power and paying a small fee,,,would separate us from the mindless morons out there,,,,

heres some facts I have learnt from my FAC Daystate, zeroed in at 35 yards shooting at about 28 ft lbs with air arms fields, from 30-45 yards I dont need to worry about hold over much, at 55 yards I hold over just slightly less than one dot on my mil dot recticle, at 75 yards two full mil dots on the recticle at rougly 110 yards (though this was not measured accurately) 4 and a half dots on the recticle, and with a moderate wind (6-7 mph) 4 dots of windage to the right, at that kind of range I dont think the windage is too bad though would not try it on live quarry, these tests were done off a bipod on an open range using a knock down target, I dont know how tight the groups were but it put the target down every time once I sussed the right amount of hold over, I have taken quarry with success at all these ranges bar the 110 yards one, also if you check chairgun at 100 yards and fac is still carrys about 17 ft lbs I dont know if chairgun is accurate or not I dont know but food for thought.

I'm with Baz on that. Once you get above -say- 16 fpe, .22 is the way to go in FAC airguns. I've had clean kills out to 65 yards, and the gun could reach farther with good accuracy, but my eyes couldn't
    As for the inception of the 12 fpe rule, it's my understanding it was done by british industry to protect their own products from the hot rod "invaders". By making the higher powered guns a bit more difficult to get for the general public, they saved their jobs. It's a pretty moot point these days as the english airgun industry makes some truly amazing FAC air rifles RB