Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What puts you off shooting Field Target (FT)

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss
    That is brilliant. You sir, have made my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

im happy to shoot any type of competition, so long as im not pared with someone that thinks the world should stop and hold its breath, because they are about to take a shot.

the question of why hft'rs dont shoot ft is an old one ive heard often, as if ft is superior to hft or harder even, well i think the question should be why dont more ft'rs shoot hft, get yourselves a regular rifle and scope and join the real shooters get down and get dirty.

i shoot for fun, i dont take any of the discipline seriously i only shoot against myself and enjoy the company and banter,
    www.muz-v.co.uk
    never surrender.

I'll be doing some waft's again in the winter, allowing me plenty of time to get my kit, pellets and clicks sorted. Any sport is gona take up allot of time if your setting out to win. But just to take part on a basic level HFT is much less time consuming to prepare for. Probably why i've done more SFT than FT.
    Will
    Pro-Target 3 with a Silver Weaver.
    S200, tweakied, Ginb, with a Burris.
    B+C HW 95 special with a Burris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali-C View Post

What's the deadman position? Is it that one where you sit with crossed legs and bend right over?
    Careful! You'll be encouraging big Chris to have a go with talk like that

I'm still around, looking forward to some summer shooting in the week now... weekends are pretty packed for me these days.

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    i always thought it was a little too regimented, i ,ay be wrong, but that is the reason i have never tried it.

not to say i wouldn't have a go.

The chap who came third in AA grade in SWEFTA last year finished with an average over 93% and he put in the top score on two occasions.

He shoots a Pro-T (£450?) with a mildot scope (£300?) and uses holdover, no dialling.

Palmanda is offline I just keep falling for it!!
    Nothing really puts me off my FT......I have half a half decent Rig......I have loads of fun and Im a terrible shot...

But I enjoy so I dont care

No targets

Just time and money.... sit in a 4x and shoot rabbits these days..that takes up those issues..
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Distance to travel and the spec of equipment that is often used puts me off.
    AMT Lightning Winchester 250
    Berretta Silver Pigeon II ... Nikko Daiwa 12g
    AA TX200 .177 Prosport .22 HW 90 .22 Venom .22

Tried FT when I started - too much fiddling around for my liking - but the people at the club were very helpful. The sitting stance is very stable and I'll certainly use that when I'm shooting bunnies later this year.

Never tried HFT so can't compare.
    It's only a bloody pellet gun for Gods sake!
    BASC member

I have the right kit for FT (S400 .177 with MTC Viper 10x44) but the only club local to me didnt make me feel all that welcome because at the time I shot with 22 (the wrong calibre apparently.)

Most of the shooting clubs I have belonged too havent been the most welcoming and because you may be younger than most of them and your kit doesnt cost thousands of pounds.

Im happy to plink away in and around my little plot of lad near to my stables.
    I was trying to start my own HFT club a little while ago but I lost access to an ideal plot of land

I do miss a bit of company when I shoot though.

Red face

I don't shoot FT, or HFT or plink really.

I've 6 shoots within 5 miles of where I live.
    I can quite literally shoot at any time of day or night and compete against the very best - rabbits, woodpigeon, rats, feral pigeons, corvids etc.
    From my understanding I'm doing what HFT and FT are recreating, but I've got to add to my shooting skills with field craft, knowledge of the quarry and land etc.
    There are no orange lines pointing to the target, no pegs to tell me from where to shoot.
    This agrees with me and my requirements.

I have no silverware on the mantle piece, but we had to buy a second freezer to hold the venison I have harvested.
    I'm not disrespecting your sport, these are my reasons, that have been asked for in the title.
    I accept some people do not want to hunt.
    That's fine but me too.
    But for me, person to person competition just does not do it.
    I hope this helps.

Danny
    Follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/gr8funtargets
    gr8fun.net

Interesting one this.
    I am shooting my first FT in about six years on Sunday it's only a club shoot but last year due to work commitments I didn't have the spare time to learn range finding and sort out the twidling etc so I kept to HFT.

That said I will be using the mark one eyeball and using holdover/under on Sunday, HFT but with a little extra distance.

I do prefer HFT and the biggest reason is as long as I hit metal I can go home with a reasonable score.
    On Sunday if I can score more that fifteen out of thirty I will be well chuffed
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labottomy

I'll say this. It wasn't until I started shooting FT about ten years ago that I started to get my head properly round the effect that the wind has, and I will admit that in earlier years I shot at pigeons and rabbits with far less consideration for the wind, and for that matter for the quarry either.

I'm not proud of that, and my advice to anyone who wants to go after live quarry is, spend some time on the range with the tin chickens first.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Richards View Post
    I have the right kit for FT (S400 .177 with MTC Viper 10x44) but the only club local to me didnt make me feel all that welcome because at the time I shot with 22 (the wrong calibre apparently.)

Most of the shooting clubs I have belonged too havent been the most welcoming and because you may be younger than most of them and your kit doesnt cost thousands of pounds.

I do miss a bit of company when I shoot though.
    Perhaps you should have joined us at Tondu Ar & Ftc then? The bit to note is Ar. Air Rifle. Any rifle (non Fac) and scope, open sights even. All you will recieve from us is help. Plus some Banter

I presume you went to Castleton? .22 is not the wrong calibre, but its easier to shoot .177 in ft for exampledue to drop, especially if your rangefinding is not spot on. It should have been explained that if your rangefinding is spot on, the pellet drop is not an issue.

If you want some company, pop down to Tondu on a saturday and have a chat + shoot, you have to be carefull how you say that
    Ostler Ev2 in Warren Edwards off set (Pope) + Prem ret x45 Comp Series luepold
    Oaktree FTC
    Air Arms XTi50 Test Pilot