Thread: BSA Laser Ginetcs ND-3 Review

BSA Laser Ginetcs ND-3 Review

I Have The ND-3 As Been Discussed.

And AS Gadjets Go Its A Wicked Piece Of Kit .

NO ITS NOT NIGHT VISION .

NO ITS NOT A TORCH / OR A TORCH WITH A GREEN FILTER .

YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG AND UNTILL YOU HAVE USED ONE AT NIGHT YOU WONT KNOW

SO ILL TELL YOU HONESTLY .

I have had loads of different night set ups / Digital Night Vision / Gen + 2 / Lamps / Torches / Spotlights etc.
    Currently using a Pelican 550 Digi As Well .

Now The Green laser is a tiny little size of a aa maglite on your scope mounted option like i have . Its lightwaeight with a tac switch and for normal daytime shooting you forget its there. This is fundamental for me because when i have walked miles to snipe my quarry the last thing you need in this day and age is to lug and extra gun with nv or lots of lamps and batteries for a more powerful lamp.
    One Tiny Battery Last For About 9 hours in the laser.
    Ill Compare the power of the laser to a GREEN LIGHT FILTER As you guys have suggested .
    So ledray GL4 without filter to start with just to see the diifference .!!
    Now its dark the LEdRAY shines 100 metres at a real push.
    The green laser is just a Diffent kettle of fish all together 3 or 4 Times more powerfull than torch . So i'm not going to bother with the green filter on the ledray theres's no point . losing another 30 percent of light with a filter .

Right That Done my laser is mounted on a light stream scope . Which is lovelly shooting in the day . See for miles . I look through the scope turn the laser on adjust the laser beam to match the width of site on the scope & thats all there is too it SIMPLES !
    Power wize Yes Its A VERY Bright Laser Certainly no torches around this small to match the power of this . Trust Me Iv'e Tried .
    Shining The Laser Along The Bank Rabbits Rabbits Rabbits Loads Of Rabbits Everywhere . If I Shine The Laser For A Coup[le Of Seconds The Rabbits Are Not Bothered At The Brighnest At All. Bang Crack One Bunny Down . All Rabbits Hidden.
    That Bank Was 55 Yds away . I'm Shooting with a 22lr cz.
    The night is not the best for weather a bit misty and dull .
    Turn round 360 degrees scanning for more rabbits i see lots without looking through the scope just using the laser and scanning the premises . I looked around to the next embackment 130 yds away . This time its hard to see the bunnies eyes without looking through the scope, But when i lifted my head up again look through the scope and wow again i can see bunnies as clear as any thing . I knows its 13oyds cos i have my LEICA CRF 1200 rangfinder .
    Shoot Bang Crack Sorted . Once you have taken a shot as normal everything hides for ten minutes then come back out again.
    I even find that shooting with night vision although the quarry dont know your there once you shoot they do . OR Miss .
    Know i'm Not Shooting But Just A Quick look Through My Scope Into the fields below . The laser does reach this range but its only through your scope can you really see its affectifness . 300 yds fox Easily Sighted , Rabbits 285 yds just . Deer Quite Easily About 300yds . The screnn at These Distances I Faintly Green Tinged . The Same colour As Gen 2 Night vision . Eyes Pop Out And You Can See Fairly Easily SHOOTING .

Now My Findings i Am very impressed With The laser designator for the size of the thing as it is tiny .
    Also nitrogen purged So Water Resistant So Dont Take Apart .
    Very Tight Circle Of Green Light Around The Scope When Viewing You Certainly Will Never Get A Torch That Can Do That .
    Lasts For Nine Hours On One Lithium Battery .
    Change the width of the laser with your thumb .
    Laser Mounts Good
    Tac Swich / A Bit hard , But i'm Sure it Will Soften A Bit .

SO Power Wize Compared To Torch Of This Size. NOT EVEN CLOSE
    Compared to a dedicated night vision ? NO OF COURSE NOT NOT EVEN CLOSE .

This Laser Is Very Bright So Dont Shine It Anybody .
    The reason Its gets its name nightvision is beacause , When scoping through the scope you get the same green as night vision screen . Its very clear for viewing but that may differ for diffent scope manufactures.

Now Would I Buy One ?????????????

Yes Already Have ! This My Unit I Brought It Had It Since Jan .
    Problems Ive Had #### IT COLD WEATHER . THE BATTERIES I THINK . KEEP A COUPLE OF SPARE WAR BATTERIES IN YOUR POCKET KEEP THEM WARM . CHANGE THEM IF THE LASER FAILS .

This problem sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from that i love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps .

lozninja

Nice review

Thanks

I made up a ND3 type laser and it works as you say but the bunnies did not really like it. They reacted to it the same as they do to the torch, some stay (for a bit) and some run. Some bunnies are very weary of any light at night and some don't seem to care, if you have a permission where they don't care, you will probably do pretty well with one.

Glad you like it though.
    For reg & tuning info visit www.xtxair.co.uk
    XTX on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/XTXair
    Guides on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/XTXair?feature=mhee

Thanks for sharing, its good to hear from someone who has actualy used it & not hearsay ......

Arrow Not the batteries...

Quote Originally Posted by lozninja View Post
    Problems Ive Had #### IT COLD WEATHER . THE BATTERIES I THINK . KEEP A COUPLE OF SPARE WAR BATTERIES IN YOUR POCKET KEEP THEM WARM . CHANGE THEM IF THE LASER FAILS .

This problem sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DPSS (Green) lasers are much more complex than ordinary diode lasers and as such have a few quirks. One is a longer warm up time (typically 5-15min) before the output becomes stable.

The major disadvantage with Green lasers is as you have found. They are quite affected by low temperatures and the output drops dramatically, this is due to the internal alignment changing due to contraction (expansion is equally as bad through overheating, although on low duty cycles and with adequate heatsinking, unlikely.)

So the low temperature problems are not battery related, the reason the battery cures the problem is that they are warm (been in your pocket) and are warming the laser up. A solution is to make your ND-3 a bodywarmer

As for the ND-3 itself here is technical review. Their conclusions were good output and good build quality (not tested as a hunting device btw) but seriously overpriced for what it actually is. A similar output laser with a beam diverger and focus ring could be constructed for ~£40, I cant see how an aircraft grade aluminium tube warrants the extra £280.

I won't argue about its effectiveness as a hunting tool as I haven't tried it however, personally, I wouldn't buy one unless the price was half its current retail as it is overpriced, I can buy a Cobra Merlin + DSA for a few quid more .......

great review,,however i would argue the point that its not a torch?.
    does it look like a torch?
    does it work like a torch?
    the fact that the beam goes on and on doesnt mean its not a torch.
    e very very very good one but still just a hand held device to illuminate.
    TORCH.
    a very good but way overpriced torch.
    im sure your review is spot on for powder burners but for air rifle ranges i would say its way over the top,,anyone who hunts at night regurlary will admit that too bright a light will spook more than any that stay long enough for a shot.
    for my money the ledrdray4 is the ideal compromise between power and portability.
    great at airgun range but as you rightly point out not up to the job of powder rounds.
    the nd3?,i would agree and say if you are looking for a long range light source then yes,great bit of kit.
    not for me though im afraid,but a very well put together review mate,and much appreciated.
    ian

ND-3 Review

Interesting stuff. Has anybody got simular info on the ND-5. I have thought of fitting one to my .17. Can you make up a simular device for less money. If so how ? I am not worried about its performance in cold weather as the cold would affect me first (prehaps i am not so keen as in the old days).
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by point17man View Post
    Interesting stuff. Has anybody got simular info on the ND-5. I have thought of fitting one to my .17. Can you make up a simular device for less money. If so how ? I am not worried about its performance in cold weather as the cold would affect me first (prehaps i am not so keen as in the old days).
    Thanks.
    Not sure if this was the ND3 or ND5 now - but you may like a read.....
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ht=green+laser