Thread: Theoben SLR.

Question Theoben SLR.

I went to my local gun shop and they had a 22 Theoben SLR Gas ram seven shot that looked very tempting. Now this was an older gun with a standard seven shot mag and because it's a gas ram there is no recoil. as with a springer, and no need to refill from a tank, as with a Pcp,, Sounds perfect i said,,, But i don't know anyone that's owned one, and i don't know any reviews for it,,,So,, are they any good?
    If i'm going to shell out another £350 on a rifle, I want to know a bit more about it first!!! So, has anyone had one?
    Current Guns, Hatsan Gladius, Hatsan Galatian, Hatsan AT44 Craftsman Vit Bullpup, Brocock Compatto, Air Arms S200, AA TX200 hc, AA TX200 sr, Hammerli AR20FT, Benjamin Trail NP2 Walther cp99

There's a good report on the Theoben SLR here:

http://gunmart.net/gun_review/theobe...theoben_slr98/
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Slr88

Hi there,
    The theoben gas ram rifles do still recoil just in a different way!.I sold my slr88 about a year ago but its the only gasram rifle i would have again.I dont get on with the recoil of a gas ram and i would try before you buy if i was you!.
    ATB
    Steve

Theoben

Hi Buddy, I've had a number of Gas Ram and they are a fine weapon.

But, when you start plinking if you don't achieve a reasonable degree of accuracy hitting the target, you will lose interest. Not to say a WH90 or Theoben Evolution are not accurate but not as easy and rewarding for a beginner to use as say an Air Arms TX200 or Weihrauch 95,or 97.

Depending on what you have in mind of course. You can buy a new Springer for that money.. But only those two makes for me!! A new Evolution cost's around £430 look where to buy, a Lifetime Free service and warranty is offered. Theoben offer extended 10 year cover for about £25
    Last edited by William Tell; 13-07-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: error

I love my evolution and wouldn't part with it, but took a while to learn to shoot after using a pcp. They have a sharp recoil and if you miss you can't see where the pellet went. Apparently the .22 ones are less fierce than the .177. I would always advise someone to try before they buy as they are marmite guns. Mine is 8yrs old and the blueing is flawless. I do think Theoben make quality guns
    Bsa R10 Mk2 .177, Theoben Evolution .177 CS800, TX200HC .177, HW100T .177 Bullpup, Airwolf MVT .177, Ray Neale Titanium JIm Vickers stock .177

Mean't to add, never buy a s/h gas ram rifle without getting it chronoed to make sure its up to power and consistent. People often offload them if there is a problem with the ram. On theobens the ram can be repressured if its low but you will need a special pump, better to get the shop to sort it if there is a problem
    Bsa R10 Mk2 .177, Theoben Evolution .177 CS800, TX200HC .177, HW100T .177 Bullpup, Airwolf MVT .177, Ray Neale Titanium JIm Vickers stock .177

Re Review.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    There's a good report on the Theoben SLR here:

http://gunmart.net/gun_review/theobe...theoben_slr98/
    Just read that review and found it very enlightening.!!
    The SLR in the shop is the 88 model and he did say it was now a collectable one, and after a second try it does have some recoil,, but not a lot.
    I was originally looking for a HW97k in 22 (because they are now more affordable) but he only had one in 177.
    I have had a HW95 before and found the recoil a bit too harsh so i went over to a Webley Raider twin shot pcp (After giving my self a black eye from my scope on the HW95) and later i found out that some plonker had fitted a 15lb spring to the HW95 before i had it, Which made the recoil as bad as it was. Anyway,, I've always liked the HW97k, and even though they are springers and single shot they can be tuned to virtually remove all recoil which is a road i would go down to improve the action of what i consider to be one of the best guns ever made( just my opinion so don't have a go at me)
    Current Guns, Hatsan Gladius, Hatsan Galatian, Hatsan AT44 Craftsman Vit Bullpup, Brocock Compatto, Air Arms S200, AA TX200 hc, AA TX200 sr, Hammerli AR20FT, Benjamin Trail NP2 Walther cp99

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.k View Post
    I went to my local gun shop and they had a 22 Theoben SLR Gas ram seven shot that looked very tempting. Now this was an older gun with a standard seven shot mag and because it's a gas ram there is no recoil. as with a springer, and no need to refill from a tank, as with a Pcp,, Sounds perfect i said,,, But i don't know anyone that's owned one, and i don't know any reviews for it,,,So,, are they any good?
    If i'm going to shell out another £350 on a rifle, I want to know a bit more about it first!!! So, has anyone had one?
    £350 is a very good price for a slr if i was you i'd buy it .The slr88 are supposed to be better than the newer models .cheers marcus

My take on the SLR and Gas rams

Hi,

I have owned a number of Gas-ram rifles, one of them being an SLR98, from the research i conducted before purchase a lot of owners state that the SLR88 is a better built rifle (in quality terms) than the 98 and if this is the case then i can only assume that it must be a good rifle as i base the following information on ownership and use of my own SLR-98 which was in .177 calibre ~:

Well built
    Nice deep bluing
    Looked lovely with the Walnut Thumbhole stock
    Super accurate
    Consistent
    Well balanced
    Never malfunctioned
    Had a little manageable recoil, which i like
    Was not too snappy when shot
    Was not pellet fussy
    7 shots on board
    Never leaked or lost power

Loudness
    My only gripe with the rifle was it was a bit too loud for hunting and let off a fair old crack when shot, you can add a silencer which does dampen the sound but in my opinion it ruins the looks of the rifle (its a bit like putting a beard on Cheryl Cole) it just didnt work for me.

177 vs 22
    I have also used .22 calibre Gas-rams (not the SLR88/98) and did find them to be less harsh on the firing cycle/snappiness, you get more of a soft "thwump" noise and feel than the snappy fast crack of the 177, but to be honest both calibres are good and despite some problems some people have had with Gas rams i have never personally had any problems with them and i own three at present and have owned 8 in total.

Buying one - a couple of tips
    Personally i would shoot it and cycle at least 5 magazines through it and i would also ask that they test it over a Chrono for you prior to purchase, i think the best setting is 11.30 ft lbs when using H&N FTT pellets which is the make that Theoben themselves recommend and the make i used in mine

All the best

Vince

theres good rammers and bad uns try before buy for definate,I think the slr is an awsome looking gun always wanted one but after my brand new .20 evolution walnut full length I leant that good lookers dont always make good performers,

Remember Dont be fooled by good price and good looks,

But if you get a good un your in for a real treat I swear blind I had an early fenman that was as good as my tx200 at the time up to around 30yards it would group inside an inch circle.

But beyond thirty the tx was king.

They are a rugged gun in the field you can feel how strong they are with the weight,great for hide shooting and barn ratting.

Just to throw a spanner in the works you could get an s410,or axsor for that money that could throw inch groups at 40yrds and more!!

just read you said it was an 88,if that is true Id buy it,just because they are collectable and getting quite rare now and the 88s were the best.

As a shooter who has owned both SLR88 AND SLR98 I don't agree with a lot of what has been written here.
    The SLR88 is better made no doubt about that. It was discontinued because it cost too much to make. A lot of excellent specimens are around because they don't get used! The trigger is pretty dire and there is a feeling-incorrect in my view-that the earlier models should be kept as 'investments'. I had a beautiful example of the SLR88 with a gorgeous walnut thumbhole stock. I kept it for a while and made a small amount when I sold it. Investment? I don't think so-at least not in our lifetimes. In the longer term you have the worry of what will happen to the O rings in the gas ram. Personally I wouldn't bother but others are free to disagree. If you insist in buying one as an 'investment' then go for the Imperator .177.
    If I wanted to use the rifle I would buy a SLR98. However very few are made in .177 and even fewer in .20 which to me is the best calibre for legal limit hunting.
    Bear in mind as a practical point, the danger of dry firing an SLR is very high. There is no 'stop' on the 7 shot magazine so if you miss-count, the last shot will go off without a pellet in the breech. For my money the SLR88 or 98 is far too expensive and so I don't own one. If you like the gasram system-which I do-I'd buy a Fenman (Evolution Carbine) in .20. Much cheaper and better in every way in my view.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.