Thread: Can Anybody Please Help Me With This Final Umarex Colt 1911 Problem???

Can Anybody Please Help Me With This Final Umarex Colt 1911 Problem???

Hi ive just replaced all the seals and even the complete valve unit on my umarex colt 1911 A1 this has cured the leak and it now has plenty of power but when i use it on single action (pulling the hammer back) ive noticed the magazine isnt rotating all the way round and on the left hand side of the head of the pellet there is a 1mm mark pressed into it where its jammed on the barrel instead of lining up with it, but when its used on double action it works faultless every time but on single action it will not shoot one pellet out of the mag,
    so can anybody please help me with why the magazine isnt lining up on single action but it is on double action,
    thanks for any help given, cheers Andy

pic`s here of mag and damaged pellets

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/...gedpellets.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/...1911mag-01.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/...ner/1911A1.jpg
    Last edited by airgunner.177; 21-12-2010 at 06:44 PM.

indexing pawl

Ive just found out it might be the tip of the index pawl thats worn and not turning the mag enough on single action so ive just had a look on the chambers web site but cant identify the index pawl that i would need to buy to fix my pistol does anybody know the part number for this item,
    cheers Andy

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Mag advance pawl is

SR12 Page 6

ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Mag advance pawl is

SR12 Page 6

ATB,
    Nick
    Cheers Nick your a good un mate just found it, hope fully that will put it right after christmas when i get to order it, just taken mine out and had a good close look at it and the very edge where it pushes the mag round is worn so it looks like the pawl is the problem after all

ATB Andy

colt 1911

hi i have the same problem with all my colts from new .try a drop of gun oil on the indexing pawl .i have been using marksman pointed pellets with no problem .atb mark

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by royalscotsgrays View Post
    hi i have the same problem with all my colts from new .try a drop of gun oil on the indexing pawl .i have been using marksman pointed pellets with no problem .atb mark
    Hi Mark, ive tried pleny of oil on the indexing pawl but it makes no difference but ive not tried pointed pellets as i like to use round or flat headed pellets in my guns, the indexing pawl has a bit of wear on the corner where it makes contact with the magazine and when i look down the barrel with an empty mag and no co2 cartridge in it and cock the hammer a can see the magazine isnt in line with the barrel by approx 1mm so its not rotating round far enough thats why the pellets are hitting the side of the barrel and not firing, i dont know why this is happening on two new pistols though i wouldnt be happy if i had bought mine new and had these problems, its making me wonder now even if i replace the indexing pawl whether it will ever fire properly on single action but for the sake of spending £4 plus p&p i`ll give it ago and see what happens,
    cheers Andy

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Mines not failed to index properly in my ownership so I don't think it's a model specific issue...
    Having bought a new valve unit that I'm sure wasn't cheap and seals and now a pawl that you're not sure will fix the problem - I think nows the time to send it to someone like Brocock or Armex for repair....

Thumbs up Colt 1911 update

Hi just to update the problem i had with my umarex colt 1911 a1 today the indexing pawl arrived from chambers i fitted it tonight and tried the pistol and at last it works perfect every time, at last problem solved, thanks to everybody who took the time to reply to this thread especially Nick it was appreciated,

ATVB Andy

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Andy,
    I'm really pleased that you've sorted out your pistol!
    The 1911 is a really good gun when it's running nicely
    Regards,
    Nick

Can wear to the indexing pawl be minimised by maintenance or best practice or is it just a function of use? Is it particularly the Colt or are CP88, CP99 and Beretta et al susceptible too?

Adam,
    I've looked at quite a few and it does appear that the tolerances on the various parts on the 1911 result in a system where the pawl is often only just lifting enough to index, a little wear can drop it out of tolerance & result in failure to index. When the mechanism is very close to indexing but doesn't quite lock the mag the symptoms can look like low power shots but the cause is an indexing fault.

If you open the slide and insert a rod where the mag carrier pin usually goes to allow the mechanism to function the pawl should lift very close to the top of it's slot, with the trigger fully back, most don't.

I've just re-machined two to increase lift by 0.3mm and at the same time sleeved the drive pin in PTFE for super-smooth mag drive and extended mechanism life

On a standard gun I recommend Moly Grease in the trigger slot which drives the pawl and on all local sliding surfaced,
    ATB,
    Nick