Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10M airpistol recomemdations

10M airpistol recomemdations

Hi me and my 14 year old son have recently taken up pistol shooting ,i can use the club pistols but he struggles with the weight , any recomendations for a first pistol, would love to get him a steyr lp2 compact but pockets not big enough.any more affordable options.

10M airpistol recomemdations

not really, save up and be happy with Steyr, there is no compromise with target pistols if you want to shoot competition standard. I know I won't be popular for saying that but it's the truth, at least for me.
    Pro Sport .177 v-mach, Feinwerkbau 600 su,
    Ruger 10/22 in Boyd custom stock, Kid Trigger unit and Tac Sol Barrel.
    Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporter, Anchutz 1907 in Precise Alu stock

I agree. if you want to shoot well, you need the appropriate tool. I have seen people try and shoot with gamo or twinmaster, when they change to a Steyr, Walther or Feinwerkbau, their confidence and ability improves dramatically. Look for a second hand one - you might just get a sub £500 one!!

Sorry, but it really is worth it

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I really have to agree, the Steyr LP2 Compact is an excellent pistol for juniors, ladies and us old men, we have a lot in our club used by all the above and a national team senior just because he likes it! They rarely come up s/h and when they do they go for good money, so consider it an investment.
    If you are really strapped for cash you could consider a FAS 604, weighs about the same, good trigger, nice ballance, it is a SSP so if he's a small he may find it dificult to cock but we do have a small pony club girl using one so he should be OK. I use mine for practice at home as its quieter and I don't have to bother with air, I shoot the same scores as I do with the LP2 compact.
    have one for under £200 which is good value. (Just looked in their s/h and its not there so may have been sold)
    Good Shooting
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 26-01-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    a steyr compact is a very good choice for a junior,as most target pistols are too heavy for them to use one handed,they are expensive,but will always get your money back if you decide to sell it in the future. A member at my club had one for sale a while ago,but not sure whether he ever sold it. If he still has it I will PM you his contact details
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

If you are really strapped for cash you could consider a FAS 604, weighs about the same, good trigger, nice ballance, it is a SSP so if he's a small he may find it dificult to cock but we do have a small pony club girl using one so he should be OK. I use mine for practice at home as its quieter and I don't have to bother with air, I shoot the same scores as I do with the LP2 compact.
    have one for under £200 which is good value. (Just looked in their s/h and its not there so may have been sold)
    Yes the FAS604 has been sold, but keep an eye on the website stock does change frequently.

David

Another quality lightweight is the Walther LP300 Club Light.

Rutty

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    What about a CO2 pistol? They were good enough for the Olympics not so long ago.

Air Arms Alpha aren't bad as an introductory pistol

Tau 7's are great and FAR cheaper. There's also a Tau 7 junior if necessary.
    You can use older co2 guns, no problem. Some brands have the choice alu or steel cilinders. Some also longer/shorter.
    Would buy a Steyr. Unless yr son is some kinda natural talent, he doesnt nééd 1.

Rohm also has a nice choice in pistols, the Action is quite light.
    ATB,
    yana

The Rohm pistols seem to have accuracy problems - they are better than the entry level pistols, but no where near as good as a dedicated match pistol. We have a couple at the club, and they are very inconsistent. They don't hold their prices as well as a dedicated pistol. How about a FWB P34. Can be a bit heavy to start with, but fantastic to shoot with!

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

thanks guys

Thanks for all your advice, i think ive come to the same conclusion will have to save for a steyr lp2, He is so enthusiastic im sure the investment will pay off . I feel bad when i see him struggle with the club guns they are just too heavy for him.

also if he gives it up i can stick some bigger grips on it and use it my self,Ive got the bug as well its great that i can participate in a sport with my son

That's what I di - it used to be my daughter's pentathlon pistol!!

Adrian

Sorry, but I dont know ANY shooter that outshoots a Rohm. Have you ever looked at the test target of a Rohm? Thats what its inherently capable off. 3-5mm groups. Havent seen anyone shooting anything near it.
    Rohms are perfectly good pistols. The ónly differences with the expensive one's are: better(more sensitive)trigger, better adjustability, better finish. Thats it.
    Havent heard of accuracy problems on Rohms and we have several around(private owners). Ofcourse every pistol can brake down or cause problems. ESPECIALLY gunclub guns. They're not maintained, they're abused and not cleaned. They ALL have issues. But its never the guns fault. Actually, the new Rohms are 'known'for very good shot to shot consistancy. Most inconsistancy in shots are a shooters problem not a pistols.. My Aeron had reg problems twice , my Morini leaked and my Steyr doesnt group well. Give me a Rohm.
    Unless yr shooting toplevel(370+ ex 400), you wont outshoot a Rohm or nééd a topgun, believe me..
    ATB,
    yana