Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is there a pistol that rivals the hw45 in power,acuracy and build qaulity

is there a pistol that rivals the hw45 in power,acuracy and build qaulity

well as in the title my brother has a hw45 and id like something different to him but id like something that rivals the hw45 in power (dont want to be shooting a target for a hour then the hw45 comes and blowes it to pieces ) and in accuracy and build qaulity but of similar price (200-300) probably asking alot

would this be

on par at all

http://www.drapers-airguns.co.uk/ind...9l90n3omj79q07

cheers t-m

The Webley Alecto springs to mind, it's a great pistol. I own a HW45 Silver Star and my mate has the Alecto and to be honest the Alecto is easy to shoot with it having no recoil. Price wise of top of my head is about £210 ish mark, maybe a bit more now with the vat increase

The Diana RWS LP8 is the natural rival to the HW45.

Try reading this thread.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....5-vs-Diana-LP8

Remember you can find yourself in a whole lot of trouble if you have an air pistol which is more powerful than the law allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The Diana RWS LP8 is the natural rival to the HW45.

Hmm, not totally sure about that. Whilst the LP8 is powerful, it is similar to a BSA Scorpion in terms of handling due to its size, and the fact the barrel is out front makes it unbalanced by comparison to the 45.

The Alecto is a good pistol, so I agree with Robin (and I see that there is a long-barreled version of the Zoraki HP-01 also available), but being mainly plastic the build quality isn't quite up there with the German number (though it is good plastic). Weights are similar, with the standard HW45 being about 1150 grams and the Alecto/standard HP-01 being slightly lighter by 50g.

Having both of the pistols in question (but not the LP8, though a friend does have one) I prefer (so yes, my personal preference) the Alecto, as the grips are more conducive to a good hold (gap narrowed slightly but not overcome if you get the Silver Star version). However, the HW45 outwardly looks more substantial.

Try the Alecto - it is cheaper and is a very good pistol, even if it is not really a Webley. The trigger is also more adjustable, and is easier to set the pistol up to most hand shapes. See if your local shop will let you try one if they have a range.

Only other combination of power/accuracy I can think of starts going down the PCP route.

The Diana LP8 comes from the same heritage of German gun making as the HW45 ergo a natural rival. Has nothing to do with differences in design, of which there are.

The Alecto by comparison is an overly complicated poorly made piece of Turkish tat with a rubbish trigger. IMHO of course.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If you want a short rifle with a pistol grip on it the LP8 sounds fine, you'd be better finding a good BSA Scorpion pistol though, as a semi collectable the scorpion is not going down in value after you buy it
    There's a lot of big break barrel pistols that produce good power, there's a Browning about at the moment that's also quite good.
    The Cometa Indian is a bit down on power over the HW-45 but it's a quirky bit of engineering if that takes your fancy and some reviewers really rate it's trigger.

As for matching the engineering of the HW-45 I really don't think any of them do
    Read up & let us know what you choose, there are no wrong choices
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

BSA Scorpion, Original 5/10, Crosman 1322/1377(if you don't mind pumping and very robustly built) but if you want something really good the FWB65/80 does about 4ft.lbs and is by far the most accurate spring pistol even out to 25 yards...a Rolls Royce of spring pistols.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    shame you cant still buy brococks and the like as a Taurus 6" revolver in .22 tac makes the HW45 look a bit limp. on the limit power and 6 shots in single or double action.

Not as immediately accesible as the single shot springer but mmmm much more satisfying.

The law change put SELF CONTAINED gas cartridge air guns into Sec5.1. However as per the muzzle loader conversions of the Taurus to take nitro and shotgun primer...it should be possible to create a setup where the air cart is loaded separately to the pellet (2 piece cylinder).....just a thought
    Gun control means using both hands.

I own an HW45 and an Alecto

Totaly different to shoot.

Alecto probably has edge re accuracy but is no where near build quality of HW45. Good for the money. I needed to get over my aversion to plastic and the tactical look before I could buy it though. Its growing on me.

HW45 is my favourite springer. Developing technique to master the recoil is the thing - then its very accurate. Different grips help. I fitted these:
    http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/DSC06035.jpg

Have to disagree with Taylor though - I find the Alecto trigger excellent. I even like the design of the safety!

Do you have charging equipment? if so what about one of the brocock pcp jobies? Its in your budget, the quality looks good and it should be at least as accurate and probably more powerful than the hw45.
    hoplophobe

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
    Have to disagree with Taylor though - I find the Alecto trigger excellent. I even like the design of the safety!

I think Taylor was trying to be controversial (IMHO, of course).

I agree with Hollowpoint - the AimX range are good. I got one of the standard Atomic ones, not the Grand Prix. Wish I'd got the GP version, as the rear sight block on my Atomic doesn't remove to leave a sight rail, unlike some of the later ones. That said I could still use an offset mount on the dovetail in front of the loading port. They are good pistols (only mildly annoying thing with mine was I had to dremmel the trigger slightly shorter - obviously when they try them in the factory it is with the woodwork off, and the bottom of the blade caught on the inside of the trigger guard). You'd just have to ensure you'd obliterated the target before the air ran out...

Nope, on the occasions I’ve handled and shot the Alecto I found the trigger to be inconsistent and spongy. Not a patch on the trigger on the HW45 nor, for that matter, the HW40.

Perhaps I have the bar set a little high as I generally shoot match pistols. I’d still plump for the German Diana pistol tho’.

edit : IMHO

Compared to a match pistol yes it isn't as good - compared even to my old LP10 it's not as crisp. Compared to my AA Alfa it's quite unimpressive (I can't go any further than that, as pistols aren't really my thing and I haven't got any better ones than those ) BUT for a fairly cheap pistol at fullish power (unlike most target pistols) and no recoil effects it's not too bad at all.

(LP10 being the old M&G Original Diana, not the modern Steyr)

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    Do you have charging equipment? if so what about one of the brocock pcp jobies? Its in your budget, the quality looks good and it should be at least as accurate and probably more powerful than the hw45.
    Output variation with different pellet weights mean that if I set one of my PCP pistols to 5.7 with a reasonable pellet (which is what my HW-45 runs at) it would be over limit if tested with a heavy pellet so I keep my PCPs at about 5.2 max as this then still gives sub 6 with Bis Mags etc.

The HW-45 isn't supposed to be a match pistol, the trigger isn't as wonderful as my FEG GPM-01 and it isn't as crisp as my Crosman Model 88 Skanaker, it isn't as precise as my DU-10 Condor, it's probably not as good as my Twinmasters or my Aim-X Atomic.
    But it isn't supposed to be, and mine is set at 3.5 lbs as I bought it for dry fire and target practice in preparation for full bore pistol shooting with a 1911 A1, and in this it excells!
    If you can master the HW-45 using target pistol training techniques you will be able to shoot a decent group with a Government Model 1911 from the off ;-) It's a real world Springer that rewards practice and consistant good technique and not something that rewards a quick plink with no dedication, some people don't like it for that, I love it for precisely that!
    Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 05-02-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    For build quality on the cheap, you can get a Webley Senior for about £100, but it won't have the same power as the HW45. Nice to shoot and accurate enough to keep you interested. And it'll last longer as well. One of mine's 72 years old, and still going strong.