Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is there a pistol that rivals the hw45 in power,acuracy and build qaulity

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    although powerful, it's not as powerful as some like to think,
    I think HW must have tuned down the later pistols, as the earlier ones all seem to make good power, but the hand cannon reputation still remains. Mine that I got off here a few years ago, came without the tru-glo sights and without any fettling from me does near 600fps with RWS Gecos all day long. The one I got new in 1986 although I sadly no longer have it, had a fair bit of poke too, but chronos weren't as common back then.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Nick,

Interesting your comment on the HW45 trigger, just by way of a different viewpoint, I have an HW45 that was given to me as a Christmas present in 1986 by my late father.

I have worked with the available adjustments on the trigger of this pistol and the result is a very precise, crisp, light two stage trigger that to be honest equalled the trigger release on the FWB 65/80 pistols that I have also owned (considerably better than the trigger on an Atomic I had as well).

The other thing, despite seeing an awful lot of shots since I got it, it still knocks out a 14.5 gr pellet at around 410fps.
    Very interesting that yours equalled the FWB pistols. My HW45's trigger is reasonably light, has a genuine two stage action and the let off is pretty crisp, but it's not as good as the HW75 I have, and nowhere near as crisp as the FWB65 I have. The trigger on my FWB is damn close to that of my LP10 which although not the later ball bearing model, is the best trigger I've ever used on a pistol.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Nick,

Interesting your comment on the HW45 trigger, just by way of a different viewpoint, I have an HW45 that was given to me as a Christmas present in 1986 by my late father.

I have worked with the available adjustments on the trigger of this pistol and the result is a very precise, crisp, light two stage trigger that to be honest equalled the trigger release on the FWB 65/80 pistols that I have also owned (considerably better than the trigger on an Atomic I had as well).

The other thing, despite seeing an awful lot of shots since I got it, it still knocks out a 14.5 gr pellet at around 410fps.
    Mine is set at about 3 1/2 lbs, I know I could lighten it considerably buit It's proven remarkably good for keeping me ready for shooting 1911s when I visit abroad
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Thumbs up B s a

Quote Originally Posted by TARGET-MISSER View Post
    well as in the title my brother has a hw45 and id like something different to him but id like something that rivals the hw45 in power (dont want to be shooting a target for a hour then the hw45 comes and blowes it to pieces ) and in accuracy and build qaulity but of similar price (200-300) probably asking alot

would this be

on par at all

http://www.drapers-airguns.co.uk/ind...9l90n3omj79q07

cheers t-m
    B S A Magnum 240 was indeed a fine pistol & a possible contender...mike...

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    my vote is also for the sheridan pistol , but it goes off like a cannon
    otherwise i woulda kept mine, , must rank as one of the loudest air pistols ever i would think , great gun though will prolly only last a lifetime or three
    i think a silencer spoils it a tad , so i gave it up .
    Getting Old

Quote Originally Posted by Aardys View Post
    my vote is also for the sheridan pistol , but it goes off like a cannon
    otherwise i woulda kept mine, , must rank as one of the loudest air pistols ever i would think , great gun though will prolly only last a lifetime or three
    i think a silencer spoils it a tad , so i gave it up .
    And if I recall correctly I bought it off you!

Only to sell it a while later after fitting custom grips and a red dot. Silly of me.

Now have another two!

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    B S A Magnum 240 was indeed a fine pistol & a possible contender...mike...
    Disagree. The "magnum" moniker is truly misleading and the grip design is absolutely awful, must have been designed by a crab for a crab, not a human being.

Trigger not a patch on the HW45s either which as pointed out above, when adjusted properly offer seriously impressive performance.

I think the OP did well to buy what he did. If not an HW45 and one does not mind the fact that the running costs are not zero, a CO2 pistol from the likes of Crosman and co offer poke and accuracy and so many opportunities for customisation.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
    And if I recall correctly I bought it off you!

Only to sell it a while later after fitting custom grips and a red dot. Silly of me.

Now have another two!
    hahah yes i sorta wish i had of kept it just for club use i spose ,
    maybe i will get another one day
    Getting Old

I like many pistols for many reasons and I think some great ones are getting a mention on this thread. I agree that the bsa 240 has not the best grip but I think it has to be up there for style balance and power.
    Just to add some more to the pot how about;Drulov DU-10 condor and FAS 604.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAZY View Post
    I like many pistols for many reasons and I think some great ones are getting a mention on
    Just to add some more to the pot how about;Drulov DU-10 condor and FAS 604.
    yeh great idea , if they didnt jam so much or send two down at a time
    i never tried a Fas yet
    Getting Old

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardys View Post
    yeh great idea , if they didnt jam so much or send two down at a time
    i never tried a Fas yet
    My DU-10s only spit two when getting low on gas, they've never jammed
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Exclamation BSA Magnun 240

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Disagree. The "magnum" moniker is truly misleading and the grip design is absolutely awful, must have been designed by a crab for a crab, not a human being.

Trigger not a patch on the HW45s either which as pointed out above, when adjusted properly offer seriously impressive performance.

I think the OP did well to buy what he did. If not an HW45 and one does not mind the fact that the running costs are not zero, a CO2 pistol from the likes of Crosman and co offer poke and accuracy and so many opportunities for customisation.
    Each to their own i still prefer the Magnum, for me consistent & the grips were fine, i also agree with nick re the du10 a good consistent pistol with no problems, although i prefer the Zastava 45 clone despite its small grip...mike...

powerful and well built.

Quote Originally Posted by TARGET-MISSER View Post
    well as in the title my brother has a hw45 and id like something different to him but id like something that rivals the hw45 in power (dont want to be shooting a target for a hour then the hw45 comes and blowes it to pieces ) and in accuracy and build qaulity but of similar price (200-300) probably asking alot

would this be

on par at all

http://www.drapers-airguns.co.uk/ind...9l90n3omj79q07

cheers t-m
    the bsa scorpion is fantastic once improved it will impress anyone .especialy in.22.as said again the crosman 1377 classic is outstanding.no recoil.full power ,and what a muzzle crack.again once its sealed better its fabulouse.45s are nice but they arnt the best performers .but the quality is good verry good.my moneys with a scorpion .lots of them lol

HW 45 all the way, the Alecto looks a good pistol but when I held one, very nice feel, lighter than the 45 but plastic don't cut it for me, the lack of recoil makes it feel like a toy, master the 45 and other pistols will pale into insignificance, however this is only my opinion, I tried lots of different pistols but buy the 45, change the grips and you have no need to buy another pistol....

Another vote here for the Scorpion, mine is running at 5.3 ftlbs in .177 with a POK! spring, delrin guide and a Venom Slimtech moderator. Smooth, powerful and accurate.