Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venom Mach trigger unit

Venom Mach trigger unit

"The firm (Bennett Engineering) that produced the Mach1 parts for Ivan had a rogue engineer that took credit for Ivan's genius and shared the Mach1 trigger secrets with Air Arms. The TX200 production trigger was inspired fully by the changes Ivan had worked so hard to design. Once again Ivan was devastated and as a genius without a chance to protect himself there were opportunists ready to pounce. Brits on Brits. So why do I not carry AA? HMMM! I guess my memory isn't all that bad after all."

Anyone shed any light as to the truth of this statement? Who's he talking about, Ken Turner?
    Last edited by POK!; 11-03-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    "The firm (Bennett Engineering) that produced the Mach1 parts for Ivan had a rogue engineer that took credit for Ivan's genius and shared the Mach1 trigger secrets with Air Arms. The TX200 production trigger was inspired fully by the changes Ivan had worked so hard to design. Once again Ivan was devastated and as a genius without a chance to protect himself there were opportunists ready to pounce. Brits on Brits. So why do I not carry AA? HMMM! I guess my memory isn't all that bad after all."

Anyone shed any light as to the truth of this statement? Who's he talking about, Ken Turner?
    Who is who talking about Pok??
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Rockdrill may know. I seem to remember him mentioning the Venom trigger, when I suggested the CD was similar in geometry to the Rekord. Where did that quote come from, BTW?

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Tim McMurray on Yellow Forum. He was official US outlet for Venom stuff IIRC.

Sorry are you implying that airarms nicked the Venom trigger? Cos if you are, I thought that was a well known fact.
    I thought that Venom basically improved on the record trigger and then when 'a' chappie who worked at Venom went to airarms, he took the design with him (name no names).

Ps. wasn't just Ivan that was hacked off!?

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    Tim McMurray on Yellow Forum. He was official US outlet for Venom stuff IIRC.
    Hi POK

From Tim's earlier posts I think he was not only US distributor for Venom products, he was licenced to fit them as well, and put the Venom sticker on.

I have a picture in an old Airgunworld of Tim talking to Gerald Cardew and John Bowkett which indicates how far up the tuning tree he was back then (and still is).

The thread you took the quote from makes very interesting reading so I thought other members may like to read it all.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...ted+%28pics%29

I only have one old article on Ken Turner in Airgunworld and I don't think it says if he worked for Bennetts or not, but I'll check over the weekend.

I know I've read that Ken Turner worked on the Mach 1 but I couldn't make out if that was before, during, or after he worked for Air Arms.

All the best Mick

So according to Tim's article, Venom nicked the Rekord trigger in the first place? Surely an element of pot/kettle/black here..

The firm (Bennett Engineering) that produced the Mach1 parts for Ivan had a rogue engineer that took credit for Ivan's genius and shared the Mach1 trigger secrets with Air Arms. The TX200 production trigger was inspired fully by the changes Ivan had worked so hard to design. Once again Ivan was devastated and as a genius without a chance to protect himself there were opportunists ready to pounce. Brits on Brits. So why do I not carry AA? HMMM! I guess my memory isn't all that bad after all."

'History does get distorted over time, but rarely totally inverted', Arthur Miller

'All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order' , Eric Morecambe

This was told to me by a reliable source at the time

Ken and Ivan were pals at one time, Ken was the one who originally designed the Lazerglide tune, when they went their seperate ways Ivan brought out the Lazerglide and Ken started on the TX which is basically what the 77 should have been like in the first place (central barrel etc)

I had one of Kens stainless 80s and it didnt have the Rekord trigger it was closer to the Mach1
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Who cares

There would seem to be only so many ways of designing a central rod piston guns trigger mechanism. They're bound to wind up looking the similar in the end. Look at the new RWS TO6 trigger unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof51mtw View Post
    The firm (Bennett Engineering) that produced the Mach1 parts for Ivan had a rogue engineer that took credit for Ivan's genius and shared the Mach1 trigger secrets with Air Arms. The TX200 production trigger was inspired fully by the changes Ivan had worked so hard to design. Once again Ivan was devastated and as a genius without a chance to protect himself there were opportunists ready to pounce. Brits on Brits. So why do I not carry AA? HMMM! I guess my memory isn't all that bad after all."

'History does get distorted over time, but rarely totally inverted', Arthur Miller

'All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order' , Eric Morecambe
    Well said Sir
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    This was told to me by a reliable source at the time

Ken and Ivan were pals at one time, Ken was the one who originally designed the Lazerglide tune, when they went their seperate ways Ivan brought out the Lazerglide and Ken started on the TX which is basically what the 77 should have been like in the first place (central barrel etc)

I had one of Kens stainless 80s and it didnt have the Rekord trigger it was closer to the Mach1
    Ken Turner told me exactly the same story Baz-and he is 100% a gentleman
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Venom supplied me with a Mach 1 trigger unit for an HW77 well before my Mach 1 was built. I put my name down for a Mach 2 but it never turned up and I got my deposit back. I did see around 8-10 Mach 2 actions in the white at Venom's workshop at one time but none of these had my name on. I've always believed that the Mach 2 concept eventually morphed into the ProSport but no doubt someone on here will have better information on this point.

D.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

It was my understanding that KT designed the TX range and was also involved with Venom. So who's the rogue engineer? That's the bit that makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Venom supplied me with a Mach 1 trigger unit for an HW77 well before my Mach 1 was built. I put my name down for a Mach 2 but it never turned up and I got my deposit back. I did see around 8-10 Mach 2 actions in the white at Venom's workshop at one time but none of these had my name on. I've always believed that the Mach 2 concept eventually morphed into the ProSport but no doubt someone on here will have better information on this point.

D.
    I'd say that you were not far off the mark with that belief. I saw a photograph of the Mach 2 for the first time, early last year and the resemblance it bore to an Air Arms Pro-Sport was uncanny - almost the same rifle, if I recall. I was off the airgun 'scene' at the time the Mach 2 was in production but am I correct in thinking that they retailed for around £600?!!