Thread: Armour Piercing Pellets!

Armour Piercing Pellets!

Just surfing the net and looking at air gun videos on Youtube.

Watched an interesting video on "armour piercing pellets".

Basically a standar .22 hollow-point with a .177 steel BB superglued on top.

There were showing twice normal penetration as a standard pellet.

Can anybody see a use for this as a humane hunting pellet?

Can't say I've seen many rabbits with plate mail on recently

ps If you wsih to look there are some other weird and wonderful pellet videos on youtube including glow in the dary "tracer" pellets...
    Daystate Regal 177; HW100 KT 177; AA S410K 177; AA TX200HC 177; FX2000 22

would be surprised if you could even hit a rabbit at 20 yards let alone make a humane well placed kill shot with with a pellet modded like that

don`t tell me there`s armour clad rabbits out there

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Shooting steel things is bad. I don't even like the ordinary BBs. The chance of richochette is so much higher with a steel projectile. Unless you are out after tanks best to stick to lead.

To be humane you need a few things to happen with any pellet or ammo:

1. Accuracy- hit the right spot (brain) with enough power and the animal will be dispatched. Traditional wisdoms says Dome pellets tend to be manufactured with the most consistency.

2. Expansion- not so relevant with airguns as generally not enough power to really expand, but you idealy need as much of the pellets energy transferred to the target/animal so that the energy causes death. If the pellet overpenetrates it means that not all of the energy is retained at the point of impact.

I'd stick with standard dome headed pellets that are accurate in the gun used. Tracer pellets sound fun for plinking though
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple. -O.W. 1895

The original Prometheus ammo had a steel head: great for perforating thin sheet steel but not so hot in the accuracy stakes. There was another brand with a steel ball embedded in the pellet (Champion?) - also useless. In my opinion, you can't beat a well-made lead round headed pellet for most applications, although the flat head can be useful on rats.

D.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

when I brought my first .25 I brought every pellet under 25gn I could find, including the Gamo Rocket which is one made with a steel ball in the end (don't know if its the one on u-tube or not) found it hopeless, it tumbles in flight, possably designed for an FAC rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    The original Prometheus ammo had a steel head: great for perforating thin sheet steel but not so hot in the accuracy stakes. There was another brand with a steel ball embedded in the pellet (Champion?) - also useless. In my opinion, you can't beat a well-made lead round headed pellet for most applications, although the flat head can be useful on rats.

D.
    These i believe
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/56283...pion+Ballistic...

Nat1,

Yes, those are the pellets. In fact, I find I still have a tin of them in my ammo depository.

D.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

I can remember shooting "Prometheus" steel tipped pellets through old car door skins 30 odd years ago. They were great for that, but nothing else. I would suspect that the modern equivalents fall into the same category.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !