Thread: In what ways can overfilling a PCP damage the gun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In what ways can overfilling a PCP damage the gun

I overfilled my s410 about a month ago by a far amount. Around 250bar when max 190. I noticed straight away and shoot the air out until it was back down to around 180 bar.

my question being what could this have damaged.

Since my up I have noticed the action makes a fairly loud tinging sound when it's fired. The grouping seems be have be effected slightly too but there was wind when I tested it so not a fair test really.

looking back at it I should have found away to empty the air without firing it as that is what has probably has coursed the damage. But I panicked and just dry fired it down to a safe pressure.

I doubt you've done any real harm at all.

The pinging is quite normal on the air-arms.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

The MSP is finely etched into the front lefthand side of the air cylinder, mine is 200 BAR and I think that's pretty standard.[Here's a pdf of the Manual for the S400/410 if you don't have one].

Most pressure vessels are tested to 1.5x their normal operating limit, and the point at which they fail may be much higher. I don't know how AA's test their cylinders or to what pressure.

You've exceded the stated MSP significantly.

I'd shoot the gun empty and check very carefully with a straight edge, and visually, that the tube isn't deformed in any way, even then I'd probably replace it given the consequences of a failure. They aren't very expensive (£30-35) from Chambers.

Your lucky you havn`t flared the tube . AA tubes are oringed at the ends as a safety feature . At around 250 bar the ends flare and it releases all the pressure in a safe way but your tube is then knackered . As posted above if its still shooting and holding air probably no harm done .

Quote Originally Posted by nutshot View Post
    Your lucky you havn`t flared the tube . AA tubes are oringed at the ends as a safety feature . At around 250 bar the ends flare and it releases all the pressure in a safe way but your tube is then knackered . As posted above if its still shooting and holding air probably no harm done .
    yep that happened to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by alltest400 View Post
    yep that happened to me lol
    Twitchy ring moment I bet

lol
    it dow half make you jump i tell ya

always is when your end flares
    the defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors
    Henri Bregne 1837 - 1899

Quote Originally Posted by Guy545 View Post
    I overfilled my s410 about a month ago by a far amount. Around 250bar when max 190. I noticed straight away and shoot the air out until it was back down to around 180 bar.

my question being what could this have damaged.

Since my up I have noticed the action makes a fairly loud tinging sound when it's fired. The grouping seems be have be effected slightly too but there was wind when I tested it so not a fair test really.

looking back at it I should have found away to empty the air without firing it as that is what has probably has coursed the damage. But I panicked and just dry fired it down to a safe pressure.
    Might be worth speaking to Air Arms I'm sure that you will get sound and expert advice off them.

Martin