Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In what ways can overfilling a PCP damage the gun

In what ways can overfilling a PCP damage the gun

I overfilled my s410 about a month ago by a far amount. Around 250bar when max 190. I noticed straight away and shoot the air out until it was back down to around 180 bar.

my question being what could this have damaged.

Since my up I have noticed the action makes a fairly loud tinging sound when it's fired. The grouping seems be have be effected slightly too but there was wind when I tested it so not a fair test really.

looking back at it I should have found away to empty the air without firing it as that is what has probably has coursed the damage. But I panicked and just dry fired it down to a safe pressure.

I doubt you've done any real harm at all.

The pinging is quite normal on the air-arms.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

The MSP is finely etched into the front lefthand side of the air cylinder, mine is 200 BAR and I think that's pretty standard.[Here's a pdf of the Manual for the S400/410 if you don't have one].

Most pressure vessels are tested to 1.5x their normal operating limit, and the point at which they fail may be much higher. I don't know how AA's test their cylinders or to what pressure.

You've exceded the stated MSP significantly.

I'd shoot the gun empty and check very carefully with a straight edge, and visually, that the tube isn't deformed in any way, even then I'd probably replace it given the consequences of a failure. They aren't very expensive (£30-35) from Chambers.

Your lucky you havn`t flared the tube . AA tubes are oringed at the ends as a safety feature . At around 250 bar the ends flare and it releases all the pressure in a safe way but your tube is then knackered . As posted above if its still shooting and holding air probably no harm done .

Quote Originally Posted by nutshot View Post
    Your lucky you havn`t flared the tube . AA tubes are oringed at the ends as a safety feature . At around 250 bar the ends flare and it releases all the pressure in a safe way but your tube is then knackered . As posted above if its still shooting and holding air probably no harm done .
    yep that happened to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by alltest400 View Post
    yep that happened to me lol
    Twitchy ring moment I bet

lol
    it dow half make you jump i tell ya

always is when your end flares
    the defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors
    Henri Bregne 1837 - 1899

Frankly I find it absolutly F..ing appaling that anyone using high pressure air can be so inatentive/clumsey/bone-idle/stupid that they pay so little attention to chargeing that they can over fill a cyl by 5bar nevermind 50bar bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If my dive bottle is in use then my hand is on the valve, it takes less than a minute to top off a bottle, surely to god even the stupidest people can pay attention for that long.

And yes this is ment to sound that harsh.

...you are right really but there are sometimes very good reasons for this, like Gauge failure or sticking, i have seen just that scenario.
    The person filling the rifle assumed he was getting low on air in the bottle, hence the pressure not going up at the rifle then 'BANG' half a crown sixpence
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    ...you are right really but there are sometimes very good reasons for this, like Gauge failure or sticking, i have seen just that scenario.
    The person filling the rifle assumed he was getting low on air in the bottle, hence the pressure not going up at the rifle then 'BANG' half a crown sixpence
    that's what happened to me, my gun wasn't reading full. so i put a touch more air in, then i saw the cylinder expand.
    good thing it was an s410!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Frankly I find it absolutly F..ing appaling that anyone using high pressure air can be so inatentive/clumsey/bone-idle/stupid that they pay so little attention to chargeing that they can over fill a cyl by 5bar nevermind 50bar bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If my dive bottle is in use then my hand is on the valve, it takes less than a minute to top off a bottle, surely to god even the stupidest people can pay attention for that long.

And yes this is ment to sound that harsh.
    Whereas i can't disagree with your content......

I bought a brand new 300 bar bottle that had a faulty gauge. The gauge stuck at 160 bar. Of course when filling a s400 there is a point where the air in the cylinder equalises and you get a click. My gauge went up to 160 bar and stopped...at this point i thought that the pressure had stabilised so turned the bottle up a bit more to get my desired 185 bar. That's when the rifle cylinder flared on me.

The rifle cylinder was replaced (and paid to be re dipped by hydrographics) by the gun shop i bought the bottle from and all gauges in stock were removed and checked.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

secretagentmole Guest
    The guy who refills my divers bottles always checks the gauges before he sends them back, he wants to keep his customers....

Best get a 232bar bottle
    BSA R10 J.B tuned .22
    AirArms TX200 MK3 .177 - SOLD

I forgot to say in the OP that the reason for the overfill was Gauge failure and not me being " inatentive/clumsey/bone-idle/stupid ".

anyway thanks for the replies looks like i got lucky and hopefully no harm done.