Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was the HW 77 the first springer to have a sliding cylinder/breech?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Was the HW 77 the first springer to have a sliding cylinder/breech?

If so this was quite a advance in spring gun Technology

Hi

I think the 'orrible Chinese Lion was before the 77 (not 100% certain though)

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Yes, the Chinese Lion had one well before (1979?) the HW77. In fact there was the Feinwerkbau 150 (elegant mother of the 300 series, which has it also) in the late 60s (I think) and the Haenal 312 (really biazarre system that one had with a sprung-loaded barrel) and even a little Relum sidelever which had no safety devices and could chop your fingers off.

So there's three just for starters! The HW77 came out in 83 didnt it?

Interesting stuff thanks

As mentionned above, FWB 150 available from January 1963 is probably the first. [Photo, more in my sig].

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    As mentionned above, FWB 150 available from January 1963 is probably the first. [Photo, more in my sig].
    That is impressive I thought it was a later invention.

The Anschutz 220 (another pic HERE) was patented in 1958, compared to FWB's 1961. Not sure which was built first but I think it might have been the Anschutz.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The Anschutz 220 (another pic HERE) was patented in 1958, compared to FWB's 1961. Not sure which was built first but I think it might have been the Anschutz.
    Goshly, not seen one of them before. Nice clean lines. Are they rare? Recoilling presumably?

Right you lot,OUT!

Who let you lot out of collectors corner? Posting pictures from the late fifties in the general section, the very thought!
    "Putting a country take on things..."

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    " Very nice mate "

However I looked at that rear cocking side lever design, & It works against you regarding effort !
    When you are getting to the hardest part of the cocking sequence its up to 90 degrees ,

Any break barrel has a lot less than this when coming to the end of the cocking stroke , ( IE, Mechanical advantage due to much less angle & More leverage )
    Just a thought ! I decided on my gun to use the standard cocking sequence with the mechanical advantage ,

( Give me a lever , Give me a Fulcrum & lift the earth ) Ha ha,
    Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    " Very nice mate "

However I looked at that rear cocking side lever design, & It works against you regarding effort !
    When you are getting to the hardest part of the cocking sequence its up to 90 degrees ,

( Give me a lever , Give me a Fulcrum & lift the earth ) Ha ha,
    Ged.
    Even with a high-power Maccari spring in it, I could still cock the Feinwerkbau 150 with two fingers, piece of 'cake'. ATB Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Goshly, not seen one of them before. Nice clean lines. Are they rare? Recoilling presumably?
    Actually semi-recoilless. They have a small diameter opposing piston above the trigger unit that cushions the recoil. It works quite well and is dead simple. Like the much later Anschutz LG380 the cushioning takes place within the cylinder and out of sight. (Some pics of the LG220's rear piston 2/3rds of the way down this AVA thread).

The pneumatic anti-recoil system of the LG220 was replaced within a few years by the very successful hydraulic system of the LG250. Ironic in a way because while the LG250s now need their oil dampers resealed and refilled - and this repair is critical to the rifle's survival if the damper is ineffective - the LG220s seem to go on an on.

From my own limited experience, the LG250's anti-recoil system was much more effective when in good order, but I think that meant the LG220 was built more robustly in the first place. So when its air-damping system starts to fail, ie. due to worn rear piston seals, the recoil doesn't start to destroy the innards. (I could be wrong about this!).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by exmoor beast View Post
    Who let you lot out of collectors corner? Posting pictures from the late fifties in the general section, the very thought!

Er, the OP did ask a 'history' question.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by exmoor beast View Post
    Ha Ha Ha!!!

We do venture out occasionally to look at the new fangled and souless stuff on offer

Mind you, we do have some modern stuff as well

These are as recent as the 80's which is near enough brand new (trendsetter me )

Oh well, back to the comfort of the gentlemans club, i'll see you all again in a year

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Such an informative thread brought back to our attention today.
    Worthy of a revival, methinks!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!