Thread: Anschutz 335

Anschutz 335

I bought my first air rifle a couple of months ago.
    I didn't realise at the time, but it was a rather ropey 30 odd year old .177 MK1 Anschutz 335.

The stock had a bad finish with brush strokes and runs in the stain, the stock screws were all chewed up, and the original sights had been removed.
    I was naive and ended up over paying for it.

I decided to give it a rebuild after it showed 9.5ft/lb over the chrono. Upon stripping I discovered a cut and unfinished spring, no spring guide and a knackered bolt holding the leather piston in place.

I stripped and re-stained the stock with tea.
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...fle/STOCK2.jpg

The fore end screw holes were oval, so I found some top-hat nylon washers and fitted them in place.
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/100_1331.jpg
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/100_1333.jpg

A new main spring and ptfe piston seal went inside the action, the stock was finished with tru oil, and a nikko stirling gameking 3-9x40 and slip over silencer were fitted.
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/100_1343.jpg
    (I had to fit a spacer to the stock to get the pull right).

After running the rifle in, a four shot string with JSB exacts over the chrono gave:
    774 fps
    778 fps
    779 fps
    775 fps
    Which is around 11.30 ft/lb

With three sighting in shots, I managed a nice 1/2" five shot group, with shots three in the same hole!
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/100_1341.jpg

I'm really happy with the rifle now, even if I was ripped off to start with.
    Next on the list is a spring guide and a barrel re-blue.

Nice write up, welcome to the forum
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Hello there, good job on the modifications, thats some decent consistency you are getting out of your rifle.

ive always liked the anschutz style stocks, thinking to add some anschutz style stippling to my fx2000 beach stock soon

welcome aboard...

andy.

keep up the good work.

Good to see an older gun getting some TLC and a new lease of life.

A first rate job! Good to see a classic rifle brought back from the edge. I remember a mate of mine having a 335 in .22" back in 1980. It was a very nice rifle but had a tendancy to rattle the rear stock bolt out (front screw of the trigger housing). I remember him taking a shot once and the screw dropped out and the whole action pivoted skywards about the front screws :-) That was the final straw for his Dad and he took it off to the shop where he'd bought it and swapped it for an HW35E. The 335 was very accurate though and I suspect that it would have responded well to some moderate tuning by someone who knew what they were doing. I could do it now but we were only 12 and relatively clueless at the time :-)

All the Best,
    A

I have a Mk I 335 in .22 as well which I picked up fairly recently complete with open sights. I think these rifles are underrated, granted, not the 'pretiest'

They aren't a powerhouse, but are generally very accurate. I had .22 Mk I in the 80's and it was a cracking little rifle accounting for numerous vermin.

I'm quite looking forward to getting it back fully tuned, a 20th century rifle with 21st century guts, should be interesting !

Nice job.
    Its difficult for me to see from the photos but if this rifle hasn't got the screw holes on the barrel for the back sight it is a 335S, the target version which originally came with a peep sight, usually a Williams sports type.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

annie 335

Nice write up,I know the feeling of being ripped of on a 335 but hey we live and learn .still I have 2 also a m1 and m2 in both cals.both rattle both underpowered and one day I will take them apart and get to work.about 5 years ago we b ought a 335 177 and a fwb 124 the 335 for my bro we got home tried both his 335 was awesome v powerful and accurate with the feel on action of a v mach fwb fabulouse my 124 was a dog but looked mint .took me months to get it as good with thanks to Mr pope senior .but it just goes to say the 335 has the potential to become a fantastic rifle even if not a powerhouse.I like the weight feel too.nice to see enthusiasm.well done

That's cracking...I always like to hear about airguns being given a new lease of life!

I really like your 'tea' stained stock....the colour is very close to how I remember my 335.......did You use PG Tips or Tetley?? He He.

atb, Gareth.

I had a small mishap with the rifle last night.
    The anti-bear trap failed. Not spectacularly, I just wasn't able to fire the rifle after cocking.

I managed to discharge the rifle before taking it apart then found the anti-bear trap thingy was in three pieces. It was a bit fiddly but I managed to fix it with a couple of tack welds.

I guess it wouldn't be any fun if it just worked would it?