Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best single stroke pneumatic air pistol for 10m targets?

Best single stroke pneumatic air pistol for 10m targets?

(am sure you get loads of these posts, but thought I'd check with my own)

I'm looking to get my first target air pistol.

From what I understand the pre-charged takes a fair bit of initial cost (the gun itself is more, then the pump/tank to fill from, some have electric triggers, etc). I'm not too keen on the CO2 ones (but that's probably just my naivety) and have tried a Weirauch (a 45 I think) at my club, so was thinking of getting a similar one as my first gun.

Like the look of:
    - FAS 604 (the only one I've managed to find for sale)
    - Feinwerkbau 103
    - Pardini Fiocchi P10

Which one is best and does anyone know where I could get one?

Any help would be very appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by raistrick View Post
    (am sure you get loads of these posts, but thought I'd check with my own)

I'm looking to get my first target air pistol.

From what I understand the pre-charged takes a fair bit of initial cost (the gun itself is more, then the pump/tank to fill from, some have electric triggers, etc). I'm not too keen on the CO2 ones (but that's probably just my naivety) and have tried a Weirauch (a 45 I think) at my club, so was thinking of getting a similar one as my first gun.

Like the look of:
    - FAS 604 (the only one I've managed to find for sale)
    - Feinwerkbau 103
    - Pardini Fiocchi P10

Which one is best and does anyone know where I could get one?

Any help would be very appreciated!
    SSP pistols are very popular at the moment, and the new MPL can only help this along still further.

Unquestionably the Feinwerkbau 103 is by far the most desireable from this bunch - but it is also the most expensive and difficult to find.
    The Feinwerkbau 100 and 102 are similar and will cost less and should be considered along with the Walther LPM-1 as well.

The FAS 604 is a lovely pistol that everyone seems to enjoy shooting at our club - but look for the alloy Mk 2 version if you can find one as it is newer, has a better grip, is lighter and handles better too.

The Baikel is also worth a look as it can be bought new for less than a used FWB 103 and has a similar action.

You can see pictures of most of these on www.bobsairguns.com Click on Pistols/SSP and then the type on the drop-down menue that you would like to see.
    Last edited by zooma; 30-08-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

For a first gun, and to make sure this type is for you, you'd be surprised at how good a Gamo Compact is.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Great info thanks!

Where is best to look for a second hand gun? Is second hand a good idea? And how much would you expect to pay? Been offered a refurbished FAS 604 for £350.

Gunstar can be a bit hit and miss.

The best quality trends to come from forums.

Some particular gun manufacturers have dedicated forums.

The UBC often has a good selection from time to time. Can always post a request in the Wanted section.

Some gun shops also offer a good second hand selection, but the gun you want is usually a couple of hundred miles away!

Kind regards,

Phil

I have a Fas Ap604 in mint condition which I still shoot with at my club. This gun is more accurate than I ever will be though I love the idea of using a pcp. I will be putting it up for sale in the near future so watch this space.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by raistrick View Post
    Great info thanks!

Where is best to look for a second hand gun? Is second hand a good idea? And how much would you expect to pay? Been offered a refurbished FAS 604 for £350.
    Sounds about £100 over-priced IMO - Nice guns with very good triggers although velocity is a bit low and tearing holes rather than punching clean ones is common.
    I think the earlier ones had the better grips with an adjustable palm shelf.

the hw40 is a very capable ssp pistol. great trigger on it and the true glow sights on it are nice as well.

FAS 604 Mk2 - a definate improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Sounds about £100 over-priced IMO - Nice guns with very good triggers although velocity is a bit low and tearing holes rather than punching clean ones is common.
    I think the earlier ones had the better grips with an adjustable palm shelf.
    The newer Mk2 FAS 604 has the best anatomical grip's by far ( including some rare and no longer available coloured "Tiger Stripe" laminated examples) and is a really nice handling match pistol, but like the Mk1 can also be bought with cheaper non-adjustable grips.

The Anatomical grip on the Mk2 is a little fuller and has two cap head screws to keep the better sized palm shelf in position - the early Mk1 anatomical grips only had one screw and so the handshelf is not so secure and often "tips" a little when in use.

Although the Mk 2 is a bigger feeling pistol than the Mk1, it is also a lighter weight pistol due to the use of more alloy in its construction and is just a more desireable pistol overall.

The Mk1 has been known to fracture the top barrel cover/cocking lever as it is closed when completing the cocking cycle. I have not heard of this happening on a Mk 2 yet - but in theory it could be just as susceptable to this fault - unless the material changes used in the Mk2 are less brittle.

Like the Walther LP2 and LP3, the FAS 604 does have a lower velocity than the more up to date SSP pistols such as the Walther LPM-1 and Feinwerkbau 103 and so pellet tearing the targets rather than producing clean cut scoring holes can be a problem.

Mk2 FAS 604 pistols are highly desireable and are well liked by their owners and they do command strong s/h prices with good examples seldom failing to sell very quickly at prices much higher than those quoted.
    Last edited by zooma; 02-09-2012 at 09:09 AM.

HW40 are, without doubt, excellent pistols.

I use mine for 6 yard with good effect.

Not tried it to 10m yet, but if you want to concentrate on the correct 10m stance, then I think the standard pistol grip will show it's short comings.

As such are a last resort first pistol for 10m

The Webley Alecto has shown it's face a lot and does have quite a decent grip. It also has differing power level settings.

It's all down to getting an introductory pistol to see if the discipline is for you, or whether you have a determination to keep it up; if it's the latter then it would be wiser to go for the FAS.

With a good quality 2nd hand one you'd probably there, or there abouts, get your money back after a few months.

Kind regards,

Phil

I've had the FAS604 (just as described in above posts. And they do feel very low powered).

AirMatch 600 (The best trigger action I've ever had on any gun. Ever).

Now I have a IZH-46, which although they have their shortcomings, really are as good as they are deeply ugly and stupid-looking

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

Now I have a IZH-46, which although they have their shortcomings, really are as good as they are deeply ugly and stupid-looking
    They have been lovingy described as looking like an "Industrial Stapler" but there is no doubt that they work well, and those that have them seem well pleased with their purchase

.......but for the same sort or cash it should also be possible to buy a good LPM-1 or FWB 100 etc.

Buyers choice !

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    Must admit I'm mightly impressed with my industrial stapler,although considering it got that nickname from the ADONIS that is IJ,I'm not to bothered
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Had a go with one not so long ago.

I quite like the industrial look.

I am mainly on PCP power source, as I am getting lazier.

I added "power source" as I am "mainly on PCP" sounded a bit disturbing.

Kind regards,

Phil

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    Thing is Phil its nice to be able to pick it up not having to bother with air and it being as accurate as a pcp.Well in my hands anyway.
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu