Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hull Cartridge-so what?

Hull Cartridge-so what?

I am reading a lot of stuff about Hull Cartridge as though only those Weihrauch rifles which have 'Hull Cartridge' stamped on them are any good. I appreciate two potential problems buying a new rifle from another source which are a)warranty and b)power levels but apart from those, surely the Weihrauch rifles sold in Germany, France etc are the same quality and that one can take a view on the warranty & power issues based upon the money saved?
    For example I have a tuned HW95 without Hull Cartridge markings which shoots like a dream and operates at full power. Admittedly as it is over a year old, a warranty claim is not an issue.
    Are there any other problems which could arise or is this not another example of an importer trying to protect its margins and everyone else blindly parrotting 'make sure it bears the Hull Cartridge stamp so you know it is an 'official' import blah blah blah'? Apart from any other considerations isn't it actually illegal to restrict imports of goods made in another EU country into the UK provided proper customs declarations are made?
    I have nothing against Hull Cartridge in fact I know nothing about them but am interested to know the reasons for the 'hold' they appear to have over imports of Weihrauch into the UK and the way the Airgun press seem to help them in their task which to me looks like aiding plain old fashioned protectionism.

kerrwaf Guest
    good point. I have a Hw 90 that has no stamp, it shoots just like one with a stamp on. Do u know the legal limit for airrifles in other countries??????.

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    I bought my HW77 in Germany when I was serving there 4 years ago. The gunsmith added a uk spec main spring free of charge. There limit was 6-8 ft/lb. Its illegal there, to shot vermin with an air rifle, or so I was told.

I have had no problems with it.

Its the same item as the Hull Cartridge import.

Just about £90 cheaper.

Anyway, the chances of an HW going wrong, especially a springer a IMHO low.

All in all, im happy with my "grey import".

Pete
    Last edited by PeteB; 06-04-2005 at 03:16 PM.
    I plink, therefore I am.

I agree,

If the gun is older tha 12 months, there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever in insisting on an Hull imported gun. These guns can be repaired and serviced for little cost by prACTICALLY ANY GUNSMITH, OR EVEN BY THE OWNER.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility (knowing Germany as I do), that the guns produced for the German market will be of superior finish and quality, as the Germans demand nothing but the best!!

Prosit, und veil gluck!!

Doug
    Regards,

Doug

kerrwaf Guest
    ya, ich habe einen hw90, es ist sehr gut und wunderbar!

Hull Cartridge

I have an HW90 which has Hull Cartridge stamped on the .22 barrel, I then fitted a new .177 barrel without the Hull Cartridge stamp, now what am I going to do ?

Also both my HW35's, one of my 77's and my HW45 haven't got the stamp.

Regards

Ben
    Last edited by master_shriller; 06-04-2005 at 03:58 PM.

kerrwaf Guest
    you cant do anything just enjoy ur gun while u can and stop worrying

clubshot Guest

Arrow

The issue is that UK Company is not part of the Germany operation
    So not libable for Sales outside the Country.

Now if the UK was a part of the Manufactures Company then believe that the Law could force them to Accept liablity.

But also aware that International Companies set up seperate trading
    arms to cover overseas sales and liablities

Remember with my BMW Motorcycle , that overseas countries Run BMW Centers

But was not part of the Manufacturers

But they did have a World Policy of covering their Motorcycles World Wide.

Comes down to product prices and trading name
    Difference of a Gun of a couple of Hundred to a Motorcycles around £10,000

Rather like asking any dealer to Service a Gun purchased from any other dealer

Rather like many of today's Gun Shops Closing after years of running unpaid Showrooms for Mail Order Companies.

Have spent many hours showing possible customers guns @ Pax Gun/s
    only for them to buy them via a Mail Order house
    Then to come in the Shop and ask us to set it up for them

No do not work there
    Often up there doing trials and tests

That's what you pay a dealer for is Service
    That's the reason Mail order can beat local shops as do not have to pay staff to show people gun/s outfits.

Not forgetting that they often buy larger numbers so get better prices than most Shops can purchase for.

I have a issue with my HW100 as is a custom one , built by Bars
    From New , believe we have got there after many phone calls and Fax's

BOB/R

Bob,

Have you ever heard of Bletchley Park?

Rustam

Arrow

Sorry Bob, surely my original post covered the point of 'liability' through the warranty? Your point about gun shops closing after acting as unpaid showrooms for the mail order companies is true but not really relevant to the point I was making. They are retailers dealing with the fickle public not distributors dealing on an exclusive basis with retailers within a defined geographical area-in this case the UK. I am objecting, amongst other things, to those that make out to the uninitiated consumer that a non Hull stamped Weihrauch is inferior when it certainly isn't-or at least need not be. Mine certainly isn't inferior in any way whatsoever and does not bear the Hull stamp. I am contending that this relationship between the manufacturer (Weihrauch) and the distributor (Hull Cartridge) is actually perfectly straightforward but that it is being presented to the public in such a way that it looks to me as pure protectionism except for the point about warranty-which can be priced into any purchase-and power which can be easily altered. Perhaps someone from Hull Cartridge could be persuaded to post on this string telling us exactly what benefits a UK consumer is getting other than the warranty and the power level-both of which can be obtained by other methods?

Trust me, a Hull stamp is no guarantee at you are sub 12 ft lb

I had a 99s which i bought 3 yrs ago with a hull stamp adn it did a very consistent 12.55 ft lbs with H+N FTT.

my brother in law bought one 6 months ago (different dealer) for plinking and his was 12.7 ft lbs. with H+N
    Never argue with a fool. He will lower you to his level and beat your with experiance

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam Bana
    Bob,

Have you ever heard of Bletchley Park?

Rustam

Classic he he he!
    Regards,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Cam
    Trust me, a Hull stamp is no guarantee at you are sub 12 ft lb

I had a 99s which i bought 3 yrs ago with a hull stamp adn it did a very consistent 12.55 ft lbs with H+N FTT.

my brother in law bought one 6 months ago (different dealer) for plinking and his was 12.7 ft lbs. with H+N
    Similarly, I bought a brand-new HW95, with the magic Hull Cartridge stamp, it did 15ft/lb out of the box.

DJP Guest
    Yep, just had to detune my second 95K - both bought new as official "Hull Cartridge" imports.

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    My HW95K was doing about 14ft/lbs straight out of the box too.