Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original/Diana 66 Fore sight Elements

Original/Diana 66 Fore sight Elements

Does anyone know where I can get replacement elements for an Original 66 foresight. These are 16mm rather than the normal 18mm, I am considering changing the foresight to a standard 18mm unit ie: Air Arms s200 but would rather keep original if possible, Currently using for 6yrd target but the 3.6 element fitted is too large so looking for 3.0/3.2

try here, these look like Neil (UK Neil here on the bbs) may make them?

Intershoot offer sets of 18mm acrylic elements, and also individual elements for those with a suitable diameter front tunnel.

Here are some photos showing the type and size of acrylic element I'm using on my Original 66.

The acrylic elements work very well if you haven't seen them before. Many shooters do use an overly small aperture, believing that it should nearly touch the black.

Having a set will allow you to experiment a little, although individual elements are available I believe. HTH
    Last edited by 18 Wheeler; 07-01-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Elements

Thanks, That exactly what i'm looking for, At present I have the black centre, outer rings and a white card in the sights, What barrel weight is on the 66 in the picture or is it a cut down original, I would like to lighten the gun a bit and this would seem to be the obvious way forward,
    Thanks Again Nige

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get replacement elements for an Original 66 foresight. These are 16mm rather than the normal 18mm, I am considering changing the foresight to a standard 18mm unit ie: Air Arms s200 but would rather keep original if possible, Currently using for 6yrd target but the 3.6 element fitted is too large so looking for 3.0/3.2
    I have plenty of elements for a Model 66 - mostly of the smaller sizes - do you have any big sizes to swap with me - anything like the one you have and bigger (4.0?).
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I have plenty of elements for a Model 66 - mostly of the smaller sizes - do you have any big sizes to swap with me - anything like the one you have and bigger (4.0?).

All I have is the one that's fitted, Rifle was found in a garage after sitting for many years, Fully stripped and rebuilt it and renovated the stock, Now looks great and shoots superbly, Looking for smaller sight options for 6yrd target,

What barrel weight is on the 66 in the picture or is it a cut down original, I would like to lighten the gun a bit and this would seem to be the obvious way forward,
    Thanks Again Nige
    It is an original Original/Diana (!) part and you rarely see them.

It is very light weight, made from some synthetic material. I had my doubts about it initially, but having also used the other barrel weights ( the sleeve type, which came in at least two versions) I much prefer its handling and it gives a better grip for cocking the rifle. I don't know where you would get one.

It wouldn't be too hard to make one from aluminium. If you decide to do that then let me know and I'll take some relevant photos and dimensions. Another option would be to make up a sleeve from aluminium, which would retain the regular sleeve's look but significantly reduce the weight.

All I have is the one that's fitted, Rifle was found in a garage after sitting for many years, Fully stripped and rebuilt it and renovated the stock, Now looks great and shoots superbly, Looking for smaller sight options for 6yrd target,
    OK - let me have your address by PM and I will send you a smaller element 3.0 - 3.2 - I will check later to see what I have

The 3.6 is a good size for me to use if you are sure you don't want it.

Some pics would be great, An alloy version is the way I'll go I thing but along the lines of the smaller version, Seen a few model 66's but never with that fitted, Reckon I can machine one up easily enough, how is it held in place at the rear, don't fancy putting grub screws or anything on my new blued parts.

Until I have tested some other sizes I would rather keep the 3.6 as the smaller ones may not be an improvement, won't know till I've tried, It's all a bit trial and error until I get the result I need.
    Thanks for your offer though

Reckon I can machine one up easily enough, how is it held in place at the rear, don't fancy putting grub screws or anything on my new blued parts.
    I'll take some photos either today of tomorrow and update the post.

No grub screws required.

What barrel weight is on the 66 in the picture or is it a cut down original, I would like to lighten the gun a bit and this would seem to be the obvious way forward,
    We have removed the barrel sleeve from one of our Model 66 rifles and it is really nice to use and has brought the centre of gravity backwards giving a more comfortable hold.

Why not try this first before making a new front weight and then you can experiment with the amount of weight you may like to add ( or not).

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    I'll take some photos either today of tomorrow and update the post.

No grub screws required.
    If you could send me a copy of this info I would also like to machine up some of these weights to experiment with on our Model 66 ( and Model 65) rifles.

We are using one with the barrel sleeve removed and it is very comfortable ( we are also using a Model 75 with the barrel sleeve removed as well) but the muzzle weight would be good to experiment with and looks good too!

Not tried with the weight removed, Shot it tonight for 6yrd, the accuracy is superb but the gun gets heavy after 15mins of shooting, Reckon the muzzle weight will finish the gun off nicely and make it easier to shoot for longer periods.

Hopefully the following two sets of photos will give you enough detail to make something suitable. Clicking on any photo will give an enlarged version.

-Dimensions

-Installation

Try the rifle with the current sleeve removed and see how much weight you would like up front. Aluminium or brass in the above design, or a simple full length sleeve in aluminium should do the job, it looks a bit spindly with just the naked barrel IMO. My barrel is 16mm OD.

The cocking aid in the photos is make of synthetic and doesn't damage the blueing on the barrel. It may be necessary to incorporate an o-ring, full "plastic" inner sleeve or simply use three rubber strips bonded inside the sleeve to prevent metal-to-metal contact.

Post some photos of what you come up with. Any questions, or things I've missed, then pm or update this thread.

Hope that helps.

Original Muzzle Weight

Thanks for a fantastic set of pictures, I can certainly work from these to produce what I need, Goona make with a plastic inner sleeve to protect the barrel as I think Blued steel will be the way for me to go keeping looking factory and in keeping with the rifle. Will post pics when done.