Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Co2 pistol reliability

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East Hanningfield, Essex
    Posts
    408

    Co2 pistol reliability

    What in your opinions is the most reliable, jam free co2 repeating pistol pellet or bb shooter. I have have had most of the Umarex models and not one has been jam free. A walther 99 I had it repaired and serviced many times and it never worked properly. I junked it in the end out of frustration. My cp88 jammed occassionaly, same with my 92f, now I have a 1911, 6 months old and hardly used, and yep it jams occassionaly as well. I had a baikal and the only time it jammed was when I used lead bb,s. I have a Twinmaster Trainer not a problem. Never jammed on me yet. I want to try IPAS but feel the Twinmaster is a little too ungainly, also where would I get a holster?
    Any suggestions any one?
    TX200, , BSA Cadet, BSA Cadet Major,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,482
    I have used Umarexes for IPAS mainly a tuned CP88 and never had a jam. In fact I own 4 CP88's and they function perfectly. Mind you all of my these have been the older models which I believe had better build quality.

    The only jams Ive ever encountered is when I was new to this type of pistol and hadnt seated the pellets sufficiently in the 8 shot magazine. I use a small piece of hardwood dowel rounded at one end to do this now - Ive seen others use various implements. I always use RWS Hobbys. If you watch shooters at IPAS matched reloading you will see them all taking care re seating pellets.

    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East Hanningfield, Essex
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have used Umarexes for IPAS mainly a tuned CP88 and never had a jam. In fact I own 4 CP88's and they function perfectly. Mind you all of my these have been the older models which I believe had better build quality.

    The only jams Ive ever encountered is when I was new to this type of pistol and hadnt seated the pellets sufficiently in the 8 shot magazine. I use a small piece of hardwood dowel rounded at one end to do this now - Ive seen others use various implements. I always use RWS Hobbys. If you watch shooters at IPAS matched reloading you will see them all taking care re seating pellets.

    Hope this helps.
    I always use a match wadcutter but never used a tool to seat the pellets. That may be a wrinkle that could work for me. Worth giving it a try. When I purchased my Twinmaster 2nd hand, it arrived with wasp pointed pellets. The first mag went in and jammed. I immediately removed the pointed pellets, loaded with my wadcutters and never jammed since. Thank you for your input, I will geve that a try.
    Alan
    TX200, , BSA Cadet, BSA Cadet Major,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,482
    No problem Alan

    I am typing this from my garage on the laptop and have a number of guns gassed up. Ive just tried loading a few magazines and shooting them through a CP88, 1911 and 92F without seating them with my home made tool. The mags all failed to rotate properly. the 1911 was worst but they all jammed at some point. Tried again - this time with the tool and no problems at all, not a single jam.

    Cheers
    Ian

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East Hanningfield, Essex
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    No problem Alan

    I am typing this from my garage on the laptop and have a number of guns gassed up. Ive just tried loading a few magazines and shooting them through a CP88, 1911 and 92F without seating them with my home made tool. The mags all failed to rotate properly. the 1911 was worst but they all jammed at some point. Tried again - this time with the tool and no problems at all, not a single jam.

    Cheers
    Ian
    Ian, thank you. It looks as though the problem is me, I have never seated pellets with a tool. I have always had problems with mags jamming. The conclusion seems obvious. I will try making me a tool and see how I get on. I do appreciate you guys helping me out with your greater experience. Have a very merry christmas and a happy new year all of you.
    Alan
    TX200, , BSA Cadet, BSA Cadet Major,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Walkern
    Posts
    183
    Hi Schony

    I have a 92fs and it has performed pretty well without fault - I only push pellets in with my finger as I haven't made a tool to seat them properly. I have a jam on two occasions - once with diabolo pellets and once with slightly loose pointed pellets (I also favour hobbies/wadcutters) - and the jam was simply because the pellets had migrated backwards and wouldn't let the mag index properly. Remove mag and seat (decent , not too loose) pellets properly and the problem has disappeared for me.

    Other than the above two minor glitches, I have had no problems with my 92fs (circa 1500 pellets through it)

    ATB

    Jon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East Hanningfield, Essex
    Posts
    408
    Thanks Jon, It looks as though the fault lays with me lol.
    TX200, , BSA Cadet, BSA Cadet Major,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,482
    The great thing about an on line community such as BBS is that you can benefit from others experience. Whenever I have posted a question here I have always been impressed by and appreciative of the support and advice provided.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East Hanningfield, Essex
    Posts
    408

    Pellet seating tool.

    I have tried a 1/4 inch ball bearing and pressing that onto the pellet seats it nicely below the face of the magazine but still leaves plenty of clearance at the front of the mag. I will now find something, a piece of dowel or similar and set the ball bearing in that to use as my pellet seater. Thanks for all your advice guys.
    Have a good un.
    Alan
    TX200, , BSA Cadet, BSA Cadet Major,

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East Hanningfield, Essex
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The great thing about an on line community such as BBS is that you can benefit from others experience. Whenever I have posted a question here I have always been impressed by and appreciative of the support and advice provided.
    I agree with you totally Ian,
    TX200, , BSA Cadet, BSA Cadet Major,

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,482
    A couple of years ago Phil Price from AirgunWorld magazine gave me one of these that he had in his shooting bag

    http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psa7c3ed79.jpg

    The 'ball' end seats the pellet perfectly

    I believe that these were once given away free with the magazine

    Using the ball end of the tool as a guide I made a 2nd out of wood as mentioned above

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East Hanningfield, Essex
    Posts
    408

    Pellet seating tool.

    Well , just to confirm what several members have told me on here, I fabricated a pellet seating tool utilising a 1/4 inch ball bearing, loaded 10 magazines and seated all the pellets with my tool, no pun intended, and emptied all magazines with no hang ups what so ever. Just goes to show most of the problems I had in the past were most likely due to this one item lol. you gotta laugh. Its the simple things in life.
    TX200, , BSA Cadet, BSA Cadet Major,

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,482
    Thats great - glad you got this sorted!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Scarborough, N Yorks
    Posts
    10,381
    RWS Hobby have a large tail and are difficult/impossible to seat properly with fingers. A tool is needed. Use Geco or H & N Econo and they will seat with the ball of your thumb.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377, Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal .177

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    East Hanningfield, Essex
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    RWS Hobby have a large tail and are difficult/impossible to seat properly with fingers. A tool is needed. Use Geco or H & N Econo and they will seat with the ball of your thumb.
    Thanks Derek, I use pellets from Max Weiser they are branded H+N Match. I bought 5000 from Germany some years ago and am now getting to use them. They work a treat in my Twinmaster Trainer and these are what I am now using in my Colt. Yes they do need seating but waste not want not .
    Alan
    TX200, , BSA Cadet, BSA Cadet Major,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •