Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krytox 205 now in my 97k

Krytox 205 now in my 97k

Well, I decided to rebuild my 97k stage 1 vmach'd rifle with krytox. It took ages to degrease everything, krytox wont mix with normal gease so all the old stuff has to go. I couldnt resisit buttoning the piston and fitting a vmach piston seel while I was at it I was using the standard weihrauch seel before.

So far I'd say that you only need to use a very small amount of krytox. I put some on the piston seel, buttons, piston, spring, guides etc. First shot was twang free, and smoother that before with no dieseling or even a slight smell of any conbustion.
    Its very smooth to cock and fire. I think the spring guide has less off a bind to the spring, which had the white vmach sticky stuff on before.

So, its looking encouraging, I will put a couple tins through it to run in and report back. I doubt doing a chrono test will tell me anything at all until its had a lot of pellets through.

I am hoping that what I've read on the american forums is correct, and the apart from being unable to diesel a krytox lubed rifle is quicker to come on song and less affected by temperature changes.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by DNF View Post
    Well, I decided to rebuild my 97k stage 1 vmach'd rifle with krytox. It took ages to degrease everything, krytox wont mix with normal gease so all the old stuff has to go. I couldnt resisit buttoning the piston and fitting a vmach piston seel while I was at it I was using the standard weihrauch seel before.

So far I'd say that you only need to use a very small amount of krytox. I put some on the piston seel, buttons, piston, spring, guides etc. First shot was twang free, and smoother that before with no dieseling or even a slight smell of any conbustion.
    Its very smooth to cock and fire. I think the spring guide has less off a bind to the spring, which had the white vmach sticky stuff on before.

So, its looking encouraging, I will put a couple tins through it to run in and report back. I doubt doing a chrono test will tell me anything at all until its had a lot of pellets through.

I am hoping that what I've read on the american forums is correct, and the apart from being unable to diesel a krytox lubed rifle is quicker to come on song and less affected by temperature changes.

matt
    Interesting stuff-keep us posted Matt
    Where is this magical grease available from-is it expensive?
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    I imported from the us, was about $15 so not bad. I've only used a fraction of what I bought, you only need a tiny amount. I think I have enough to do four or five more rifles.

If you put this in the bay of e....

DUPONT KRYTOX GPL-205 Grease

I bought 1/2 oz

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    £14.50 on the bay 150662492472 for 20gm

I'm in for 20g, I'll give it a whirl, I'm trying the other wonder lube, Hot Sauce reel grease too.

Springers are just great for experimenting

Update...

250 shots into an argos book later and no sign of the slightest whiff of any combustion, and no galling or squeeking. So, if nothing else this stuff is safe to use on a springer.
    Just remember you have to do a complete degrease, and can only use more krytox in the future because it wont come off without an expensive flourine solvent.

The rifle is shooting very smoothly and feels bang on already. I wont bother with the chrono for a good few days yet though.

Big thumbs up so far

This would have been a more valuable comparison if you hadn't made other changes though!

I use Krytox regularly and it certainly seems to be good stuff.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

This would have been a more valuable comparison if you hadn't made other changes though!..... Yes, it would have, but I wanted to get thwe vmach seal run in asap as the worlds is only a few weeks away.

I use Krytox regularly and it certainly seems to be good stuff...Spill the beans then mate

This would have been a more valuable comparison if you hadn't made other changes though!..... Yes, it would have, but I wanted to get thwe vmach seal run in asap as the worlds is only a few weeks away.

I use Krytox regularly and it certainly seems to be good stuff...Spill the beans then mate
    I wasn't intending that as criticism - just a constructive comment. Sorry if it came across badly.

I use Krytox on 'O' rings on dry gas seals for compressors. The seals cost from anything around £20K to £120K each, so you can imagine that we researched the grease we use pretty thoroughly.

Personally I much prefer it to Molykote 111 ( which is one alternative) because of the latter's tendency to cause galling between ferrous metal components - especially stainless.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

No probs

Krytox is here, I think I will use it on the Vglide 80 next week

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    Krytox is here, I think I will use it on the Vglide 80 next week
    Go for it. The krytox on the outside of the comp tube makes it feel super smoo like its vmach buttoned. Very happy with the stuff so far

Go for it. The krytox on the outside of the comp tube makes it feel super smoo like its vmach buttoned. Very happy with the stuff so far
    I will know if you're lying by the trail of swarf leading from the car boot

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    I will know if you're lying by the trail of swarf leading from the car boot
    and the grinding noises, which may be either from the rifle or my teeth

update...

Running in. Five hundred shots now. Even smoother.

Its so damn fast to shoot now. The rifle has completely lost the slightly slow lurch of before. Preload on the spring is very slight as I'd ordered a spring one coil shorter than normal, my target power was about 10.5 ftlb.
    Sight picture barely moves on discharge, I get the feeling that I may be able to hold the rifle on the peg for hft.

I'll be chronoing at the weekend and testing what the hold sensitivity is like. The trigger was krytox'd too, it has become very smooth and light. I may end up winding it up a little.

I'm not 100% sure I like firing cycle as fast as this. Its not the normal dull thud of a standard vmach tune, perhaps because I've removed the super-sticky white stuff from the spring and replaced it with something super low friction.

more to follow.

matt