Thread: hw77 bear trap

hw77 bear trap

ive got one on my 77 and i can see it seems to d a job.why do people remove them?
    Perhaps as a group of hobbyists we have a tendency to worry to much about nothing sometimes? bigtoe

I believe the removal gives you the option of uncocking the action without firing a shot.
    Mk3 RT Type D .177 with Lightstream 4.5-14x44 FFP
    Prosport .177 with MTC 3-12x44
    Steyr LP10
    Beretta 682 Gold E 12G
    HW45 .177

I don't trust them, it's just a thin piece of tin plate that blocks the sear, unlike the TX and Diana, which locks up the actual compression tube. Even worse, the little springs break, so you think the ABT is working, but nothing happens. Never trust any ABT, but the HW ones are particularly bad.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

the above is correct
    BUT all under lever rifles ie 77 97 and the tx range require you to hold the underlever firmly
    when you load a pellet into the breech
    so as not to have your fingers smashed
    this is even more inportent if you do decide to remove it
    with it removed,you can , hold lever firm,press safety,in fire position,pull trigger,and release
    slowly untill no tnsion ,this decocks the rifle
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by keithomas View Post
    ive got one on my 77 and i can see it seems to do a job.why do people remove them?

Hi Keith

First off I must apologise for not relying to your PM --- very sorry.

I took the anti bear-traps off my MK2s so that I could decock them when out hunting --- I always hang on to the underlever when loading anyway so it's no big deal.

The MK1 77s didn't have an anti bear-trap fitted at the factory, so my rusty old MK1 77 doesn't have one either.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 28-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Fast, safe, quiet with no ratchet sound and can be decocked

i bought a hw97kt new and got it tuned when it was a month old. when it was took to bits the little spring on the bear trap was broken, so it didnt work anyway. up till then i'd always thought that it was in good working order when in fact it wasn't. ive always kept my hand on the lever in case it failed so no accident was likely to happen.

i thought what was the point in replacing it if it was likely to fail, so opted not to have one refitted to my gun. plus now as someone's already said, i can decock it. and because i know there's not one fitted i doubly make sure i handle my gun safely at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    I don't trust them, it's just a thin piece of tin plate that blocks the sear, unlike the TX and Diana, which locks up the actual compression tube. Even worse, the little springs break, so you think the ABT is working, but nothing happens. Never trust any ABT, but the HW ones are particularly bad.

Gus
    Not only that but the tin metal slider plate can become bent or distorted..which also negates its effectiveness

beartrap

Quote Originally Posted by gasman1 View Post
    i bought a hw97kt new and got it tuned when it was a month old. when it was took to bits the little spring on the bear trap was broken, so it didnt work anyway. up till then i'd always thought that it was in good working order when in fact it wasn't. ive always kept my hand on the lever in case it failed so no accident was likely to happen.

i thought what was the point in replacing it if it was likely to fail, so opted not to have one refitted to my gun. plus now as someone's already said, i can decock it. and because i know there's not one fitted i doubly make sure i handle my gun safely at all times.
    funny thing,i took mine appart to remove the beartrap
    allso found,little spring broke

ste

Quote Originally Posted by Bulsaye View Post
    Not only that but the tin metal slider plate can become bent or distorted..which also negates its effectiveness
    Yep...... If someone has been a bit clumsy taking the under lever off, that can damage the thin ABT strip.

Gus

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    It's an "Anti Bear-Trap Mechanism"
    No air gun is fitted with a "Bear Trap", if it were you couldn't carry it, "Bear Traps" are big and heavy -

https://www.google.com/search?q=bear...w=1024&bih=683

Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Why is there always a smart arse on here?

Gus

Cooking lever

Hi, first time I've been on here, so don't know if my question will be seen never mind answered😁, just got an old hw77 the lad said the part of the cocking lever which fits into the piston keeps falling out, it doesn't have an ant-beartrap and the serial no is. 1030565 so I think it is an early one and maybe wasn't fitted with one, it's been years since I last owned one of these so any advice would be great, perhaps the lever is worn?