Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TX200HC vs HW97k Head-to-Head

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TX200HC vs HW97k Head-to-Head

In a freakish twist of fate, these two guns, ordered 10 weeks apart, both arrived this week (see LINKY). That being the case, I thought this might be an ideal opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of the often-debated TX200 vs HW97.

The contenders:

TX200HC in .177 with walnut stock

HW97k in .20 in std beech sporter stock

I realise the calibres being different means it'll never be a true like-for-like comparison, but AA don't do a .20 TX200, and the HW97k was ordered WAAAAY before so I could find out what all the .20 fuss was about!

Here's my findings (with some surprising results) - all scores are out of 10:

Bluing TX:10 HW:9
    Both had good, even bluing, but the AA was deeper and darker - comparable to the bluing on my brummie Longbow

Stock TX:9 HW:7
    The TX stock is a beautiful piece of walnut, but I'm not sure about the fish-scale chequering (yet). Unfortunately, HW don't have a walnut option, so I had to order the beech - it's a perfectly good, well proportioned stock, just a bit plain..... I might look at a custom stock CS500 when funds allow

Weight TX:9 HW:9

Both guns are full-size, and scoped-up there's nothing in it, with them both tipping the scales at 10.5lbs, with the centre of gravity ~ 4" in front of the trigger

Lever Release TX:9 HW:10
    The TX uses a just spring-loaded detent ball to hold the under-lever in place. To release, you simply pull the lever downwards until the ball over comes the spring pressure. The HW also uses a spring-loaded ball, but in conjunction with a button-plunger on the end of the catch assembly - simply pressing the button in allows the under-lever to fall free. Personally I prefer the HW system as there's little or no force involved, but I might be biased as I already have an HW77 with the same catch, that I've gotten used to.

Cocking TX:9 HW:10
    The TX has the slightly shorter lever, so requires a bit more effort - something that's become important to me since recently dislocating my shoulder!. We all know that the TX runs on synthetic bearings, so the cocking cycle is typically smooth, although with a tiny hint of roughness, which I suspect is just the bearings bedding in. The HW was a huge surprise in this dept - the cocking cycle was even smoother than the TX! I can only compare it to running a well-oiled finger across a sheet of glass. I've heard rumours that HW have done some work in this area, and I can only say I'm impressed!

Anti Bear-Trap TX:5 HW:8
    I've never been a big fan of ABT's, and prefer to rely on safe handling, but the TX unit drives me NUTS. I'm not sure if I just haven't got the knack of it yet, and maybe the dud shoulder doesn't help, but I find that I'm swapping hands, and where I'm gripping numerous times during the cocking/loading process, so I feel like I'm juggling the guns at times, which can't be a good thing. Also, the TX ABT makes a god-awfull ratchet-clacking noise when you cock the gun - I know you can overcome this by holding the ABT in, but that's more gun-juggling! In contrast the HW ABT is far simpler, and much less intrusive, albeit of a slightly weaker design, which just blocks the trigger from releasing until the under-lever is returned to it's original position.

Trigger TX:8 HW:9
    Both guns have excellent trigger mechanisms: the rekord is legendary, and the TX one is very close behind. I didn't like the contouring on the front of the TX trigger blade - it's convex, which I feel encourages the finger-tip to pull across the trigger somewhat, and not straight backwards. The HW trigger is nice and flat across it's face, but the length of pull is a bit long for my short, fat fingers. If I could have the HW blade, with the TX length of pull it'd be perfect (Rowan Engineering will be getting a call before long!)

Firing TX:8.5 HW:6
    Both guns had issues, which is a bit disappointing given their heritage (and cost!). The TX firing cycle is very nice: a slight thump of recoil, no twist, no dieselling, but quite loud (it's a .177 carbine, after all) - the big issues with the TX is that over the chrono it's running consistently over the limit (~12.5 ftlbs) with AA Fields, and is likely to increase as it beds in. Consequently, I'm going to have to open it up and remove some, or all of the 4 power washers to cool it down. Unfortunately, the HW fared worse: the firing cycle is comparable in terms of recoil, and report (and again, no dieselling), but there's an ALMIGHTY twang! It seems that the improvements in the cocking process didn't extend to a decent-fitting spring guide! Welsh Willy will be getting a call! In addition to the twang, the HW was also running at only ~10.2 Ftlbs with H&N FTT's. Again, this will rise a bit as the gun beds in, but I'd hope for better than that out of the box.

Accuracy - It's too soon to tell, and to be honest, I expect there to be nothing between the two guns with the right ammo.

TOTAL (/80) TX: 67.5 HW: 68

I swear I didn't fudge those scores to get them so close! As you can see, in total there's not much between the two, but both guns have different strengths & weaknesses, and both will need some attention before I'm completely happy with them.

Dunk
    Last edited by Dunk1302; 27-05-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Since writing this I've put another hundred or so pellets through both guns, and the TX has settled down to a much healthier 11.4 ftlbs - even Bis Mags & Hobby's stay well under the limit - I'll just have to keep an eye on the power in case it creeps back up.

Unfortunately, the HW hasn't changed at all: still low on power (9.8 - 10.2 ftlbs) and twangy. I've already ordered one of Welsh Willy's fine kits for it.

Consequently, the above scores will have the TX edging it over the HW.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Thanks for this write up bud!
    AA TX200 MKIII .177 + Nutshot Silencer
    My Site / Wooden Gates / Decking Strips

Thank you for the written up.
    I've a TX in .22 but want to go back to .177 and am torn between these two (& pro port & LGV) so seems its down to how it feels to hold with rest so close.

What do you think of the .20 as a calibre though? I'm struggling with .22 hence the back to .177

Thanks for the review matey, answered a few questions for me there

Paul

A useful review there, Dunk. With any luck it'll reduce the number of "TX200 or HW97?" threads

I know a lot of people don't like the ratchet on the TX, but I never had an issue with it; after a while the hand swapping became natural and it didn't take significantly longer than with a non-ratchet system.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Bazmati2020 View Post
    I've a TX in .22 but want to go back to .177 and am torn between these two (& pro port & LGV) so seems its down to how it feels to hold with rest so close.

What do you think of the .20 as a calibre though? I'm struggling with .22 hence the back to .177

i have the tx200hc wallnut in a left handed stock ..... allways allways used .22 all my life , then this came along in .177..... STILL finding it a tad weird getting used to little pellets ( especially with my sausage fingers )
    getting there tho i suppose its just a matter of getting used to it .....
    BRILLIANT review mate have to admit top notch .. well done

just read this thread

Being new and also finding both guns I might be looking at reviewed ,is very handy in helping me choose the right gun.Lets face it its quite a bit of money to spend on a hobby so I need to get it right,but things like this review help at least I know they are both good guns.Just one question though ,what is a welsh willy kit ,sounds like something from a sex shop lol.

22 or 177

Quote Originally Posted by Bazmati2020 View Post

Read you post, I can decided between the 22 or the 177 tx200? Which one did you decide on and why?
    Cheers Rich

I went .177 and Walther LGV. After a month or so and using the LGV for plinking and HFT I sold the TX as I know I won't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk1302 View Post
    Since writing this I've put another hundred or so pellets through both guns, and the TX has settled down to a much healthier 11.4 ftlbs - even Bis Mags & Hobby's stay well under the limit - I'll just have to keep an eye on the power in case it creeps back up.

Unfortunately, the HW hasn't changed at all: still low on power (9.8 - 10.2 ftlbs) and twangy. I've already ordered one of Welsh Willy's fine kits for it.

Consequently, the above scores will have the TX edging it over the HW.
    Just acquired a nearly new 97KT and it chrono-ed at the club between 9.8 and 10.5 ... with one close to 12. I agree with all your findings ... the TX is a better rifle for me out of the box though. Cannot believe the twang either on the 97. Will be going to Nick Simmons for a proper tune (frankly, these rifles shouldn't need it).

Had both and the 97K had been tuned professionally.
    Sold the 97 and have a .177 TRex full length...i prefer the AA.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk1302 View Post

Cocking TX:9 HW:10
    ...We all know that the TX runs on synthetic bearings, so the cocking cycle is typically smooth, although with a tiny hint of roughness, which I suspect is just the bearings bedding in...
    I could be wrong, but only the piston on the TX has synthetic bearings. The compression cylinder does not, therefore on cocking stroke you no not get so much benefit. One of the TXs I had was 'rough' on the cocking stroke.

Like a few others here, I have had both guns (2 TXs), and there is overall very little to choose between them.

Rich

I have recently purchased a TX200 in .177 with a lovely walnut stock. I also own a HW77 in .22 which is quite an early model. I definately think the Tx is the better shooting rifle out of the box, but I have played around with the HW77 and it shoots more on a level with the TX200 now. Accuracy is better with the TX but it is .177 so that is to be expected in most cases.
    I have found the AirArms to be very low on power, only giving around 9.5 ft lbs. I have shot perhaps a couple of tins of pellets through it but it still records the same velocities.
    I am quite happy with both rifles, but I would like to get another Tx200 in .22, or a Pro sport in .22 at some point in the future.

Tuned 97s

I have shot both rifles and like both the HW and AA but I have to say I love the Weihrauchs best.
    I have a 97K in .22 that I've tuned with a V-Mach service kit, I also fitted buttons to the piston and cylinder, tuned the trigger and added a weight to the stock.
    It super smooth to cock and shoots and very accurate.
    I also have a 97KT composite .177 that has all of the above plus a V-Glide piston and cylinder from Steve Pope that I put together at the end of last week and has already put great single hole groups out to 50 yards.
    Both guns are around the 11.4 fpe and I'll never need another underlever again, that doesn't mean I won't buy one though :-)

Atb

Chris.