Thread: Buying a HW95 already tuned, Sandwell field sports or Welsh willie

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Most stage 1 tuned rifles are much the same as the work done is pretty simple but if you want a HW95 in the top state of tune then a 'Banshee' from SFS is a great shooting experience. Is is better than the Venom Hornet? Probably not. If I was looking for any of the market leading tuned rifles-HW77, HW97, HW80, HW95/98 -I'd buy the first one that comes up at the right sort of price. If that was SFS, Venom V Mach or Airmasters I wouldn't care and wouldn't hang around. If I found I didn't like it I'd sell it to someone who did. Tuned rifles are usually quite easy to sell as both serious users and collectors are on the look out for good examples. One thing that really does help is paperwork. Having it can add quite a bit to the price because sadly words like 'Venom tuned' are over-used and in some cases fraudulently used. Recently a friend of mine bought a HW95 with a Banshee-engraved barrel which turned out to be just that: a bog-standard HW95 with a barrel engraved 'Banshee' .Presumably some unscrupulous previous owner had just swapped the actions over. It is essential to have a record of work done matched with serial numbers which sadly SFS appear not to have. My friend contacted them and got no significant help in establishing what had happened which was a shame. I must confess to being surprised that they were indifferent to someone passing off a standard twangy HW95 as a 'Banshee' just because it had 'Banshee engraved on the barrel but there we are. If Tony Wall reads this post I'd be happy to put him in the picture as to what happened.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 30-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.