Thread: HW90 - Barrel swap question...

HW90 - Barrel swap question...

Hi all,

Been looking at an HW90 foa project I've got in mind. It needs a bit of work but is cheap enough for that not to matter...

Now, in my mind I wanted a .22 or even better a .20 (don't know if you can even get .20 90's tbh) but the rifle I've been offered is a .177. Now bearing in mind its the only suitable donor I've found how hard would it be to change calibe at a later date if I bought a 2nd barrel? Is it as simple as a barrel swap or are the transfer ports/internals different as well?

Not new to working with airguns, but normally stick to messing with PCP's...

Cheers in advance

I swapped the barrel off an hw80 to an hw90 no probs. just be carefull of the 90 because it has 2holes where the cocking arm
    goes. with the 80 it was the hole nearest the fron of the barrel. if you want to get rid of the 177 barrel i would be interested. Cheers Rays

I have a HW90 with .177, .22 and .25 barrels

Dependent on the age of your 90?....if yours is a relatively modern 90, with only one cocking lever pivot point in the breechblock, then it's and easy job to swap the barrels, no different to an 80,85,95,98...and any of the barrels from those guns will fit straight on a modern 90.

One thing, you mention your gun is .177 yet you wish to fit a .20/22 barrel...well, if your gun is close to the limit with the .177 barrel on it you may have to let a bit of air out of the ram to reduce the power as it's likely to go over with a bigger cal barrel.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    I have a HW90 with .177, .22 and .25 barrels

Dependent on the age of your 90?....if yours is a relatively modern 90, with only one cocking lever pivot point in the breechblock, then it's and easy job to swap the barrels, no different to an 80,85,95,98...and any of the barrels from those guns will fit straight on a modern 90.

One thing, you mention your gun is .177 yet you wish to fit a .20/22 barrel...well, if your gun is close to the limit with the .177 barrel on it you may have to let a bit of air out of the ram to reduce the power as it's likely to go over with a bigger cal barrel.
    That is why i mentioned the two holes on the breech block, you can use the hole nearest the front of the barrel then you can use most if not all the hw breech blocks.I took .22 barrel off an hw80 and put it on a.177 hw 90 and had to let some air out. yet the hw80 dropped by 3fp of power with the .177 hw90 barrel. now they are both well below 12fp.
    Rgards Ray
    Last edited by transporter; 04-07-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    That is why i mentioned the two holes on the breech block, you can use the hole nearest the front of the barrel then you can use most if not all the hw breech blocks.I took .22 barrel off an hw80 and put it on a.177 hw 90 and had to let some air out. yet the hw80 dropped by 3fp of power with the .177 hw90 barrel. now they are both well below 12fp.
    Rgards Ray
    Hi Ray,

sorry, didn't read the replies fully...glad to here that the older HW90's are no different then...and pretty much any of the bigger HW barrels are interchangeable it seems?...80,85,90,95,98 all fit each other!...I recently swapped my original carbine .177 HW90 barrel for a HW98 barrel - a good mate at the club wanted a lighter barrel for his 98 and I'm not using the .177 barrel atm, so we did a swap...for the record, the 98 barrel and sleeve is nearly a pound and a half heavier than the carbine 90, even with the silencer fitted (90 barrel was screwcut)
    blah blah