Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: car boot finds?

Quote Originally Posted by BRET22 View Post
    Well what was it??????????
    A .25 if l remember right.

aria

Today got a little Milbro 4x15 scope made in Japan .£2.50.Deal.Nice for one of my oldies.

QUOTE=micky;6143203]A .25 if l remember right.[/QUOTE]

It was a .25 BSA Improved Model D Air Rifle, I was made up I can tell you, and since it was sold in the auction as a .22,They obviously got the description wrong. I have to say that I didnt notice myself for a couple of days. It was only when I got the gun out the following weekend for a clean and relube, that I noticed the little No.3 marked on the breech. I thought I was dreaming at first, and it was only after I had picked myself up off the floor, did my jammy good fortune sink in.
    Happy Days !

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    QUOTE=micky;6143203]A .25 if l remember right.

It was a .25 BSA Improved Model D Air Rifle, I was made up I can tell you, and since it was sold in the auction as a .22,They obviously got the description wrong. I have to say that I didnt notice myself for a couple of days. It was only when I got the gun out the following weekend for a clean and relube, that I noticed the little No.3 marked on the breech. I thought I was dreaming at first, and it was only after I had picked myself up off the floor, did my jammy good fortune sink in.
    Happy Days ![/QUOTE]

Hi Lakey l came across 2 BSAs at a antiques fair a few years ago both had the same price on them, when l looked at the numbers one was No1 bore and the other No3 l couldn't belive my luck, happy days for me as well.

Hey Micky, we need to keep the true meaning of that little No.3 a secret from the antiques trade for as long as possible. That way there is still the opportunity for the occasional bargain. Well done for finding a very rare BSA, that and the Military Pattern are on a lot of collectors wish lists.

Lakey

Hey Micky, we need to keep the true meaning of that little No.3 a secret from the antiques trade for as long as possible. That way there is still the opportunity for the occasional bargain. Well done for finding a very rare BSA, that and the Military Pattern are on a lot of collectors wish lists.

Lakey

Just out of interest, I wonder what % have no No3 stamping. I have seen 2 unstamped .25s

Lakey
    Hi Lakey l find that antiques dealers usaly haven't got a clue about airguns, and they tend to ask silly prices for them. but you can find a bargain occasionally.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    None for us when we used to go to them, just "other peoples tat" by the time we got there. But a couple of years go a freind rang me from one & asked if I was interested in a scope he'd seen , "It says made in berlin west germany on it"-" are the lenses scratched"-"no it's in working order"- "how much"- "lady wants £20 for it"- "buy it". He turned up with a pecar champion 8x45 for £15! I happily gave him £20 for his trouble!
    A pecar champion 8x45 just sold on for £595...! you did well
    Cheers, John
    AA 510 AirMasters88 Reg, MTC Viper, AA 400 AirMasters88 Reg, AA TX200, Aeron BRNO B96, FWB 65, FWB 80 Walther CP88

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Hi Lakey l find that antiques dealers usually haven't got a clue about airguns, and they tend to ask silly prices for them. but you can find a bargain occasionally.

Mick.
    Hi Mick, I second that thought...I have lost count of the Gems and tin plate Dianas / Haenels I have seen at Brown Bess prices in antique shops...

"It's a 100 years old that mate, very rare item" is normally the opening spiel when you linger nearby...

I suppose I could enlighten them about the actual value , but after a couple of attempts at different places (being very polite and honest) I got two very negative reactions as if I was trying to con them

I suppose I should have asked then what THEY had paid for them!

And also, like you say, very occasionally a bargain is to be had...I got a very nice complete MK1 airsporter about 3 years back from a brickabrack / house clearance type place near Monmouth for £55, and got the distinct feeling that the seller thought I was a total sucker

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Mick, I second that thought...I have lost count of the Gems and tin plate Dianas / Haenels I have seen at Brown Bess prices in antique shops...

"It's a 100 years old that mate, very rare item" is normally the opening spiel when you linger nearby...

I suppose I could enlighten them about the actual value , but after a couple of attempts at different places (being very polite and honest) I got two very negative reactions as if I was trying to con them

I suppose I should have asked then what THEY had paid for them!

And also, like you say, very occasionally a bargain is to be had...I got a very nice complete MK1 airsporter about 3 years back from a brickabrack / house clearance type place near Monmouth for £55, and got the distinct feeling that the seller thought I was a total sucker

ATB, ED
    Exactly my words aswell,went to a fair a couple of weeks ago and saw a lot of nails, and the usual spiel like what you say, but before i reply politely i take a deep breath and think f+++ it.
    Same fair had a rather nice Service 3rd series really nice and honest at £440 (asking) which was not that bad.

Cool finds

you need to be up ther when the stuff is hitting the floor iv had mint webley exoset in bag and 1000 pellets £60 . 2 excel,s 1 webley wolf cub .haenel mod 1 ,weston gun rig with 2 colt 45 blank firing ,2x gats a diana 45 ,i love boot sales .must go and sell some of it b4 next season make room for new bits to plink whith .