Thread: Taming the HW80 my way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maz001471 View Post
    Thank you for that brilliant info , and can i ask you if you are going to the springer bash and if you can bring this along for us to enjoy ??.
    cheers Maz.
    I hope to Maz

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Thanks WD, great write up.

So the lesson here seems to be that (very) short strokes in large diameter cylinders do work, but need heavy pistons ?

I may revisit my sirocco that we'd spoken about previously - .177, 31mm bore, I short stroked to 61mm but only got 9 FP - maybe I should add some mass to that piston....

Anyone else looking for to the springer bash even more now ?
    Jon I used lots of pre-load to try to counteract any piston bounce, I'm going to redesign the piston now because as it is I'm not in the springs sweet spot. When I did the original conversion for last years springer bash I used the heavy standard spring to counter act bounce & a lot less pre-load.

Quote Originally Posted by gibboj View Post
    hi wonky done much the same tune on my 80 but with buttons and a longer / softer spring [its got a big bespoke piston linner so the spring is held tight] still thinking off taking a bit of weight of the piston ? but it feels nice as it is ,wots your thoughts on light pistons wonky. also short stroked a smk xs20 [95 clone] made a delrin head for that one ,that on a 26mm piston. that shoots well but not had none of them down since short stroking to see how thay are wearing on the heads, id love to shoot a lazerglide or one of your or bigtoe tunes to see how mine compears and see wot all the fuss is all about
    atb john
    Hello John, I do lighten my pistons on the 95, 77/97 & short stroke them using an alloy head. This is the last 97 piston i did this week that's 30gms lighter with the short stroke, bearings & seal than a bare standard piston. If you don't mind me saying delrin is not the material to use for piston noses, it will fail in time. Delrin is a good bearing material but doesn't take shock too well.

Generally I short stroke 77/97 in .177 by 8mm, 95's by 12mm, .22's shorter. My own 25mm HW77 in .22 is 68mm with an "O" ring conversion.

Thanks for your comments guys.

I have a couple of .20 HW's to do, a 95 & a nice Green Laminate 77 as well as 2 TX's the later 3 being my own rifles that I hope to bring to the springer bash together with a Diana 280 in .177 & a HW99s that I did the anti gall fix on myself, in a different way to Tinbum! Think I might put some pics up on a new thread of that?
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

I have a couple of .20 HW's to do, a 95 & a nice Green Laminate 77 as well as 2 TX's the later 3 being my own rifles that I hope to bring to the springer bash together with a Diana 280 in .177 & a HW99s that I did the anti gall fix on myself, in a different way to Tinbum! Think I might put some pics up on a new thread of that?

Look forward to seeing the anti gall fix on the 99s

ATB Dave
    Weihrauch HW95K.22 Weihrauch HW97K.177 Weihrauch HW99s.177
    Weihrauch HW99s.22 IMP
    AirArms S400 classic .177