Thread: Taming the HW80 my way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    aye i know BUT you have increased weight, I did an LGV piston here for an 80 with 30mm nose that weighed 230g 70mm stroke, 50g lighter than where you are at... which means you can tune the piston weight now with steel or brass tophat etc or use acetal to keep the weight down.

get drilling some holes or thin it down some more.

Alloy body, threaded skirt, steel bearing band on the back loctited on (hardened steel) may be the best bet
    Absolutely no chance! Don't forget I'm at 60mm stroke not 70mm. my first mod was at 68mm! I'm heading for 50mm & I feel you can go to light. there comes a time when you get diminishing returns & I feel it's far sooner than the theories may suggest.

Anyway I have not increased weight the original piston was well over 300gms 340ish iirc?

The lighter the piston the more spring/pre-load, I know this you know it & others on here have been finding out....I put a thread on here some time ago HOW MUCH PRE-LOAD IS TOO MUCH but deleted it because it attracted mostly uneducated responses.

Untill I have more of my own data it remains as is...anyway you haven't shot it! I had a chap here today with his shooting mate from Liverpoll trying it & they were absolutely blown away with how it shot.......the one lad has had rifles tuned at all the best tuning houses as well!

No nothing radical, a bit at a time will do!
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

At the end Dave's first post he says he is happy ( that's a first), then goes on to say ...." is it finished, No..."
    That proves that Dave is not actually happy. Dave is never happy with his tunes.....even when I shoot one of his tuned rifles ,that may have had 20 hours work on it,and go "wow"..... worries that it isn't good enough.
    This is why his tuning work is so outstanding and worth every penny. His quest for perfection is never ending,, and for that WE should be grateful. Wonky and Bigtoe are always searching for perfection but because of their mindset will never find it.
    They are true airgun tuning pioneers, ' boldly going where no man has gone before'.
    Just don't overdo it mate.....oh, and yes you do need to get out more.!
    atb,
    Pete.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    The lighter the piston the more spring/pre-load, I know this you know it & others on here have been finding out....I put a thread on here some time ago HOW MUCH PRE-LOAD IS TOO MUCH but deleted it because it attracted mostly uneducated responses.
    I'm rather interested in this too... for me personally, so long as the piston isn't slamming, the only way you can have too much preload is:
    i) the gun in too hard to cock
    ii) components are put under excessive stress
    iii) the spring itself is under too much stress

Personally, I like lots of preload... but practically, most of my guns end up shooting nice in the 40-70mm range... probably about 50-60 kg preload force max, most are more like 15-30 kg (and around 50mm)

at 60mm or so you have turned the hw80 into a hw35 with a short transfer port...interesting fact

And I STILL want one!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I do want a break barrel, but have found those that I've dabbled with have just felt too light for me to be truly comfortable with.

The thought of a short stroked 80 does appeal (not that I have the time or money at the moment!). My Wonky Donked TX is my sole gun at the moment (and the forseable future), so I'd be intrigued to see the magic he can weave on an 80 as well, or some of the other learn'd gents on here for that matter.

A couple of years on from this thread, has there been much development on what set up best suits a sub 12 .177 80?

Whilst most of it goes straight over my head, I do find these types of threads fascinating...

Maybe I need to get out more!

Joffy's been playing with one too, recently.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Brilliant read, I knew there was a reason I got an 80 last year
    Basc member

*** Looking for a Diana 54/52 ***

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Joffy's been playing with one too, recently.

Its a very different beast to the original gun
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive