Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crosman 600 grips

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post

It's interesting to hear that Crosman had actually considered the re-introduction of the '600', but hardly surprising the prospective cost put them off, although I am surprised they didn't have sufficient drawings in their archives.
    They have the complete set of engineering parts drawings. The issue was in some of the manufacturing processes involved. What exactly those processes were wasn't discussed. I figured it had something to do with the main body casting and how to finish it.

The designer and manufacturing engineer for the 600 was Rudy Merz and he had a real talent at developing unique manufacturing processes. After he left Crosman, and after his work at Ampell, Rudy started his own little company in his garage to manufacture precision lead balls for use in carburetors. One story about this business that was relayed to me was that Rudy realized that since so many of his orders were "urgent," he decided to set up a schedule of rising prices for how urgent the parts were. Thing is, he had the process so automated that he always had a complete inventory of sizes available for immediate shipment. He was a pretty smart businessman, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    I'm sure that you have probably got a specimen of the Crosman "Bullshooters" full page advert on file:

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...ShootersAd.jpg

This is the only pic that I could find quickly, and unfortunately the print is not very clear, but under the "Grips" heading, it does state that left hand grips are available for both models.
    I have representative NOS samples of the left hand grips, in both the brown swirl and all-black in my collection.

To the OP - my apologies for getting a bit off topic.
    Here's a better looking picture from Crosman catalog showing availability of lefthand grip. I'm just surprised that I can't recall ever seeing a set of lefty grips for the MKI/II. Seen plenty of the lefty grips for the 600.

https://flic.kr/p/mM4vQi

looking at all of the catalogs, it appears that the left grip option went away after Coleman took over in 1971.
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 05-04-2014 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    They have the complete set of engineering parts drawings. The issue was in some of the manufacturing processes involved. What exactly those processes were wasn't discussed. I figured it had something to do with the main body casting and how to finish it.

The designer and manufacturing engineer for the 600 was Rudy Merz and he had a real talent at developing unique manufacturing processes. After he left Crosman, and after his work at Ampell, Rudy started his own little company in his garage to manufacture precision lead balls for use in carburetors. One story about this business that was relayed to me was that Rudy realized that since so many of his orders were "urgent," he decided to set up a schedule of rising prices for how urgent the parts were. Thing is, he had the process so automated that he always had a complete inventory of sizes available for immediate shipment. He was a pretty smart businessman, too.
    Thanks for that; it's always interesting to learn of facts behind the 'classics' and their designers.

Lots of interesting posts here - thank you.

Like others here I think that $50 postage is extortionate - however $150 will give me the choice of two grips on an otherwise first class (not mint) pistol.

A Crosman 600 will always go up in value (I have no wish to sell). So when I die my heirs will have a Crosman 600, boxed and choice of grips.

I have listed all of my airguns on a spreadsheet with values - mainly vintage Webley's - for my eventual executors who would probably otherwise just scrap them.

Update - the grips arrived today and they seem original, a bit dusty and not shiney like used ones are.

I fitted the left handed ones (I am sinistral with ambidextrous tendencies) and applied some 3-in-one oil - which burnished them up and they now look the same as the broken, glued ones (before damage) which they replace.

As said I now have both left and right handed grips (plus the original glued "repaired" ones). Was it worth $150? - I'll let you judge but I have spent more than that on CO2 and Verminpell in the last few weeks so am well happy as I am prepared to pay for my fun and was irritated by the broken grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Sorry our paths didn't cross at Bisley. Perhaps we could arrange a rendezvous with other BBS members who may attend the Phoenix meeting in May. Maybe we could all meet at a particular place and time so that we can put faces to forum names.
    I will let you know how I get on with the 600 after its weekend outing.

Regards

Brian
    A red rose in the lapel and a copy of the Guardian always helps.
    Mel.