Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oscar Will - some help needed with restoration

An idea?....

I've seen a couple oldies that had the flat piston seal held on with brass "claws" through the leather, bent over and flattened into the face of the leather - like a nail poking forward with the head back inside the piston. You might consider this possibility.

Don R.

Oscar Will

I think you're right Don. I don't remember for sure but when I rebuilt the Oscar Will referred to most likely I put the piston in a lathe and drilled and threaded a central hole. That way it's easy to source and fit a normal leather washer unit.

Tharg; I'd guess a piston washer for a Diana would work. I've had these from Protek Supplies, so if you measure the piston and get one the same size or a fraction larger then you just need some help drilling and threading a central hole.

Mick; yes I've seen washerless pistons in some Gem airguns and they work just fine, just seems a bit crude.

Cheers
    torrens

Talking bugelspanner parts

Quote Originally Posted by tharg2007 View Post
    In a previous thread my rifle was identified as an oscar will break barrel rifle. I am looking for some leads to get some parts for the rifle, I would even consider buying restoration jobs to cannibalise them for what I need.
    I am looking for a barrel hinge bolt and a breech seal. I think I need a part for the piston as there is no seal on it and can't see how the seal would attach, it's metal on metal clang when fired. Probably do with a new spring also.

Any help is very welcome.
    hi I think I can help you with a barrel pivot pin , though there are a few different types, & try protek supplies for new piston seals . as for a breech seal if there is a place for it to fit in , the usual size is a 12mm/8mm ring in leather , its possible to replace the convolute springs with 3 bronze centering pieces & a webley mk3 spring cut in 2 & cut to size . gives a similar feel to the convolute type original springs ,anything more powerful (ox accelerator) for example will just feel horrible & make a negligable difference in muzzle velocity . the webley spring is a good one for these guns , but even with one of these chopped up & fitted you still wont be looking at much more than about 4 joules output . ive got a box of bugelspanner bits here .great guns these .

Hi customstocker,
    the earlier threads were about a conventional Millita type break barrel Oscar Will, not the Bugelspanner you mention. Having said that I'm interested to hear it's possible to use a conventional spring with larger diameter spacers on the old gallery guns. The only Bugelspanner I've stripped had the usual massive volute springs and despite using a compressor it's the nearest I've come to taking out a window or an eye trying to release the springs. Reassembly was fun as well.

Cheers
    torrens

Talking convolute springs

Quote Originally Posted by torrens View Post
    Hi customstocker,
    the earlier threads were about a conventional Millita type break barrel Oscar Will, not the Bugelspanner you mention. Having said that I'm interested to hear it's possible to use a conventional spring with larger diameter spacers on the old gallery guns. The only Bugelspanner I've stripped had the usual massive volute springs and despite using a compressor it's the nearest I've come to taking out a window or an eye trying to release the springs. Reassembly was fun as well.

Cheers
    torrens
    i have a myford ml10 lathe that is really useful for rebuilding a bugelspanner , i use the tailstock to recompress the springs & get them back in their hole ! the trickiest is lining up the rectangle of the piston arm with the hole in the back plate ( worse on crank wound rifles ) for these ive made a bore light on a 30cm long rod (magic wand) that i poke down the barrel of the lathe tailstock to see what the hell is going on in the dark , its still a tricky business putting a crank rifle back together , without the wand theres alot of swearing required . ive come across at least 3 different lengths of convolute spring pairs, in, im guessing, different manufacturers airguns , after all , theres probably more copies out there than "original" originals . I had one marked Oscar Will that was obviously not genuine , theres a give away on the construction of the real Will guns, that is dog teeth triangles cut into the barrel pivot boss & the hook boss located on the underside of the barrel , these were to create a larger surface area for the braize to flow around the joints . the copycats didnt bother to do this on all the copies Ive seen so far . I had a gun without springs that i traded a webley tempest for , which i tried with some turned up bronze bushes & parts of a broken mk3 spring, as I had one lying around . i actually chronoed the results which might be interesting to people out there . these results were with a standard "Bugelspanner" in .25 smoothbore with Benjamin diablos & a new leather cup type piston seal ( Protek Supplies) , as , Im sorry , but the original stack of leather washers is just a waste of time .

1. original volute springs ; 85-86 mps
    2. ox accelerator spring chopped to fit ( in 2 sections); 103-104 mps
    3. webley mk3 chopped to fit (in 2 sections);107-109 mps

same set up but with a urethane parachute type seal turned from a 99a durometer skateboard wheel & a teflon breech seal ( rifle had a ring cut for this seal when i got it .)

1. volute springs; 119-120 mps
    2. ox accelerator ; 110 mps
    3. webley mk3 ;111-112 mps

next set up was webley spring only & moly paste

1.P.U parachute seal ;111-112 mps
    2. leather cup seal; 115-117 mps which = 2.67 ft/lbs or 3.62 joules
    not a colossally powerful airgun , but for sure ,one of the more elegant & fun to shoot airguns ive briefly owned .

Ive got a crank rifle coming soon which is from a German independent gun maker ( 1800s) & not a mass produced item , will be interesting to see what differences there are between it & an "original Will" type, barrel is 30" long & 6mm bore .

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by customstocker View Post
    i have a myford ml10 lathe that is really useful for rebuilding a bugelspanner , i use the tailstock to recompress the springs & get them back in their hole ! the trickiest is lining up the rectangle of the piston arm with the hole in the back plate ( worse on crank wound rifles ) for these ive made a bore light on a 30cm long rod (magic wand) that i poke down the barrel of the lathe tailstock to see what the hell is going on in the dark , its still a tricky business putting a crank rifle back together , without the wand theres alot of swearing required . ive come across at least 3 different lengths of convolute spring pairs, in, im guessing, different manufacturers airguns , after all , theres probably more copies out there than "original" originals . I had one marked Oscar Will that was obviously not genuine , theres a give away on the construction of the real Will guns, that is dog teeth triangles cut into the barrel pivot boss & the hook boss located on the underside of the barrel , these were to create a larger surface area for the braize to flow around the joints . the copycats didnt bother to do this on all the copies Ive seen so far . I had a gun without springs that i traded a webley tempest for , which i tried with some turned up bronze bushes & parts of a broken mk3 spring, as I had one lying around . i actually chronoed the results which might be interesting to people out there . these results were with a standard "Bugelspanner" in .25 smoothbore with Benjamin diablos & a new leather cup type piston seal ( Protek Supplies) , as , Im sorry , but the original stack of leather washers is just a waste of time .

1. original volute springs ; 85-86 mps
    2. ox accelerator spring chopped to fit ( in 2 sections); 103-104 mps
    3. webley mk3 chopped to fit (in 2 sections);107-109 mps

same set up but with a urethane parachute type seal turned from a 99a durometer skateboard wheel & a teflon breech seal ( rifle had a ring cut for this seal when i got it .)

1. volute springs; 119-120 mps
    2. ox accelerator ; 110 mps
    3. webley mk3 ;111-112 mps

next set up was webley spring only & moly paste

1.P.U parachute seal ;111-112 mps
    2. leather cup seal; 115-117 mps which = 2.67 ft/lbs or 3.62 joules
    not a colossally powerful airgun , but for sure ,one of the more elegant & fun to shoot airguns ive briefly owned .

Ive got a crank rifle coming soon which is from a German independent gun maker ( 1800s) & not a mass produced item , will be interesting to see what differences there are between it & an "original Will" type, barrel is 30" long & 6mm bore .

Very interesting data. I have always wondered if convolute springs are more or less efficient than coil springs. One advantage of the convolute system is that you can squash a long spring into a smaller space than an equivalent length coil spring, which would have been useful in pistols.

Is your forthcoming crank airgun anything like this one ? http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psd42fa34f.jpg I picked this up for £290 a while ago on a whim, but it carries no markings so I have no idea of maker or age.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 03-11-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Hi customstocker,
    that's interesting info on bugelspanners, I like the lathe idea for reassembling them. Most of them have very short squat cylinders, much less efficient than a smaller diameter longer air cylinder and as you say dodgy leather disc washers don't help. Then again you only need low power if using .25 darts. The one I had was about 4 ft lb. It was ok with darts but also fun with .25 Rhino's; tin cans at 20 yards were an exercise in holdover artillery, really knocked them about as the pellets made a dent but didn't go through.

Nice find there ccdjg.....if they've another at that money I'd have it!

Cheers
    torrens