Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Will - some help needed with restoration

Oscar Will - some help needed with restoration

In a previous thread my rifle was identified as an oscar will break barrel rifle. I am looking for some leads to get some parts for the rifle, I would even consider buying restoration jobs to cannibalise them for what I need.
    I am looking for a barrel hinge bolt and a breech seal. I think I need a part for the piston as there is no seal on it and can't see how the seal would attach, it's metal on metal clang when fired. Probably do with a new spring also.

Any help is very welcome.

Anyone?

I think

Quote Originally Posted by tharg2007 View Post
    In a previous thread my rifle was identified as an oscar will break barrel rifle. I am looking for some leads to get some parts for the rifle, I would even consider buying restoration jobs to cannibalise them for what I need.
    I am looking for a barrel hinge bolt and a breech seal. I think I need a part for the piston as there is no seal on it and can't see how the seal would attach, it's metal on metal clang when fired. Probably do with a new spring also.

you have to make it your self , it is not possible to buy spareparts for this gun.
    I can provide you with some measuring of breech seal (leather) and bolt/tread ??? and pictures of course
    Maybe a spring from another type of airgun will fit ?
    Last edited by aircol; 26-09-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks aircol, I have the breech seal already but it's in very poor condition. I called nibbs to ask what seals they had in that measurement but they couldn't help without going and measuring breech seals which is understandably a big ask. If I knew one that would fit from another rifle I would order it, maybe I'll end up cutting one out from some thick leather or something if I have no joy.
    I have a large box of bolts at work and have one that kind of fits, the thread goes in but the part where the barel is hinged onto he bolt is a little loose, I suspect that part of the bolt would have no thread and be a little thicker.
    I'm hoping to pick up another at somepoint and cannibalise for parts, or use mine for parts.
    Could you get me some pictures of the piston, wouldn't mind comparing to mine to see what I need to add to it.

Cheers.

Just had a thought, I could melt some solder to the part of the bolt that sits inside the barrel hinge, that might make it a bit thicker.

Oscar Will - some help needed with restoration

buy some leather punches,and make your own breech seal they sell them on fleabay

Just found this thread http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-rifle-to-swap

Very interesting.

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by wil95k View Post
    buy some leather punches,and make your own breech seal they sell them on fleabay
    Thats how i make them , but a little advice , make the small hole first , (in the middle) or else it will crack , i know , been there , made 10 nice seals , all cract ,

Where did you get the leather from aircol?

some hobby store

Where did you get the leather from aircol?
    they has some remains , but this is in Denmark , dont know abouth UK ??

I have some leather samples at work, these are from colour samples for sofa leather. Maybe they will be thick enough. Or I buy an old shoe from a charity shop for £1 hehe

too thin

I have some leather samples at work, these are from colour samples for sofa leather. Maybe they will be thick enough. Or I buy an old shoe from a charity shop for £1 hehe
    i am afraid , you need it too be 4 mm thick

Try they sell offcuts on there all sizes

I think I need a part for the piston as there is no seal on it and can't see how the seal would attach, it's metal on metal clang when fired. Probably do with a new spring also.

Some very old guns didn't have a piston seal and relied on the piston being a good fit in the cylinder to compress the air.

To stop the piston crashing they used a leather disc in the end of the cylinder to act as a buffer washer --- could your gun have been this setup ?

All the best Mick

Could well of done, there are two brass looking circles embedded in the end of the piston but can't see how these would have helped to fix the leather to the piston. I'll get some pictures of it.