Thread: Piston Removal BSA Lightning XL with Maxi scope rail>

Piston Removal BSA Lightning XL with Maxi scope rail>

Hi folks, anyone know how the piston comes out on a BSA Lightning XL with Maxi scope rail? The piston can be moved rearwards but comes to an abrupt halt when it meets something - presumably the underside of the maxi rail. Doe's this rail come off? if so how.

Thanks Pete

Welcome to the BBS Pete.

The scope rail has to be removed to get the piston out as you have sussed --- someone will be along very shortly to tell you which way to knock it with a lump of wood and a hammer to remove it.

All the best Mick

When I have removed them I have used a sash clamp rather than a hammer. Hook one end of the clamp against the front of the rail and react the other against the back of the cylinder. It will have to be on the "scew" to achieve this! It slides off towards the butt end of the gun btw. I have refitted them with the clamp also but the last one I did resisted so I tried tapping it with the wood and mallet and it worked

With most springer tuning you often have to strip them a number of times so I recommend that you test it without the rail fitted until you get it how you want it.

atb

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I have only done this on a Mercury Challenger but assume it is the same. The maxigrip slides out towards the butt, as said above. When I did it I used a small block of wood held against the end of the rail and tapped it towards the butt. It needed to move about an inch before the locating lugs on the rail were free of the holes in the cylinder. Once removed, the piston slid out as normal.
    Refitting was not too difficult on my rifle: I placed the rail lugs in the appropriate 'key' holes and pushed like ********* (for this read 'hard') to compress the rail against the top of the cylinder while sliding the rail towards the barrel. Once 'caught' in the groove, I then tapped the rail back into position with a wooden drift.

Good luck,
    Cheers, Phil