Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vintage style aperture sights... i'm looking - but has anyone ever 'made' one?

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    I'm hoping for saturday if possible as need to meet up with Binners (though day will be chosen realistically by him) to finalise a recent purchase. I'll let you know. Many thanks for the pics - Josie (and the BSA No 22) looks great......
    ....but Oh Dear.... that homemade sight - did you say 'Heath Robinson'? More like 'Anne Robinson': and definitely the Weakest Link!

I do think function and form dictate a solution should be pretty, otherwise i'd be making something out of an old sardine can and gaffer-taping it on!
    I must admit I tend to agree. The sight is a substantial unit and stays put but...I removed it after testing it on the Bisley range as it just looked so 'home made'. It did place 4 out of 5 shots through a bell target free standing at 6 yards though. Come to think of it, the rifle is capable of equally good accuracy with the original open sights too!

John

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Ah Richard, I did try to warn you that these fine rifles do not like to live alone, the minimum family number is three. ATB John
    I know, I know.... You "told me so"
    Still makes me grin from ear to chin.

Luckily they all more or less look the same, so my wife still thinks I've only got one

I remember seeing some of these pics from a previous post of yours when i started digging around for info. Great pics too!

I also have this 1909 Standard Pattern Improved Mod D fitted with a factory fitted No 12 sight. This is a much neater solution than the No 8, but would require quite a bit of work to install as a later addition.

Below that, is a picture of an interesting rifle from an earlier auction which seems to cover all the bases.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psau875mjc.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psalifzt3i.jpg

BSA Improved Mod D with No 12 sight.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7b249bab.jpg

The full set.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I also have this 1909 Standard Pattern Improved Mod D fitted with a factory fitted No 12 sight. This is a much neater solution than the No 8, but would require quite a bit of work to install as a later addition.

Below that, is a picture of an interesting rifle from an earlier auction which seems to cover all the bases.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psau875mjc.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psalifzt3i.jpg

BSA Improved Mod D with No 12 sight.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7b249bab.jpg

The full set.

Regards

Brian
    all lovely solutions. i don't think these are impossible to do inset to the trigger block steel - just harder. My preferences would be into the top of a pistol section wooden stock as the 'Long Tom' i've hopefully agreed with Binners would suit this nicely - hence a BSA 21a ideally - or something similar. My LJ Patent (1905/first batch) is a straight stock, and too lovely (and original) to alter.

I know, I know.... You "told me so"
    Still makes me grin from ear to chin.

Luckily they all more or less look the same, so my wife still thinks I've only got one
    That only works till you decide to build a rack

i see a gun with an aperture sight in the auction at Peacocks, not for me though based on the estimate and i assume it is a DIY job.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...c-a49501172b46

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    i see a gun with an aperture sight in the auction at Peacocks, not for me though based on the estimate and i assume it is a DIY job.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...c-a49501172b46
    Thats an interesting one, it has Lee Enfield sights and stock, interesting that the sights are stamped GLJ, perhaps the great man himself was tinkering with a military air rifle trainer !
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Thats an interesting one, it has Lee Enfield sights and stock, interesting that the sights are stamped GLJ, perhaps the great man himself was tinkering with a military air rifle trainer !
    John Atkins once described a similar rifle in an early airgunner article (June 1988) - I wonder if this is the same one?

It also looks to have an SMLE stock. I also have an early BSA which has been fitted with the butt of a Lee Enfield and it handles quite well - bit like an upside down straight hand stock, although some will argue it's actually the right way up! Mine looks to have seen some military service as a trainer or similar as the trigger block is also stamped with the broad arrow or 'crow's foot'.

John

Replica sight again

Just had a very nice message from a Forum member recovering from nasty injury so has a bit of time on hand.
    He's now fitted the replica sight to his project rifle. We know our feelings

Should be here! "Rex's new sight"

Last edited by deejayuu; 09-06-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Just had a very nice message from a Forum member recovering from nasty injury so has a bit of time on hand.
    He's now fitted the replica sight to his project rifle. We know our feelings

Should be here! "Rex's new sight"

Did i miss something?
    "he's now fitted..." seemed like a referral to an earlier bit - perhaps with pics for different stages of manufacture?

Hello again Chieftool. This all started when a long standing forum pal needed someone to make a replica sight
    so a bit of banter followed. The result was a few replicas made by hand & eye for him.
    Along the way another forum pal liked the outcome and expressed a desire to fit one to his latest project so he was sent one.Unfortunately
    he suffered an accident so was unable to work on the project till now.
    Sorry for confusion.
    Please PM me 'cos I sent you a message some time ago asking if you would like sketches/operation notes etc
    but have no record of a reply. Regards, Jules.

Aperture sight made by Jules

Jules made this sight for me (a complete stranger to him) when I suggested during the banter he mentions, that he could go into business making these things, and if he did I would be his first customer. A few weeks later, out of the blue, a replica sight arrived in the post, accompanied by a note that simply said, "Enjoy"! It made my day - or more accurately, my year. I haven't publicly thanked him before as I thought he might have been overwhelmed by requests to make more, but as Jules has 'come out', I do so now - it was an act of incredible generosity and I am very grateful to him.

Not only that, but as I have said in subsequent email exchanges with him, I am in awe of his skill in creating such a replica using only hand tools. When I received the sight, from the precision of the metal shaping, I had assumed that he had used a milling machine at the very least. Following a serious knee injury I wasn't able to get up to my attic workshop for a while, but my slightly shabby BSA restoration project is now finally crowned by Jules' creation, as shown in the pics I sent him.

Thanks again, Jules.
    Last edited by scrapman; 10-06-2015 at 09:47 AM.

mystery solved - a very lovely job too!

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Hello again Chieftool. ....
    Please PM me 'cos I sent you a message some time ago asking if you would like sketches/operation notes etc
    but have no record of a reply. Regards, Jules.
    Can't get a PM through as your mailbox is full!

Thanks Scrapman, glad you like it, you're welcome.
    Sorry Chieftool. Some space in mailbox now.