Thread: Best Pellet For An Omega

Best Pellet For An Omega

I bought a .177 Omega last year,not given it much use apart from some casual plinking with the open sights.
    What would you suggest as the most suitable pellet?,Falcon Accuracy Plus come to mind.
    Any input would be much appreciated.

Part of the fun of airgunning for me is (or was ) finding the right pellet for a particular rifle/pistol. Sometime you could tell within 20 shots that a certain pellet wasnt compatible but the remaining 480 in the tin dont go to waste. They may suit the next rifle/pistol that came along, and theres always another.
    This, of course, meant that at any one time I could have up to 20 different types of part pellet tins but they dont eat anything. They dont evaporate and 9 times out of 10 they dont get any cheaper. Our hobby () doesn't cost us several pounds per shot like some full bore(ing) shooters. I never fell for the gimmick pellets. The multi ring, non lead rubbish. Just your standard run of the mill domed heads. JSB, Superdome etc. or if your paper punching Hobby, R10s etc. Once I find a good batch (R10s) I buy them in batches of 10 (which doesn't last me that long )
    I suggest you go mad and experiment. It all adds to the fun of airgunning.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

What I.J. said

If you have Falcons, try them. Springers are usually better with lighter pellets, and they are on the light side, and are high quality.

I usually start with Hobbys and Superdomes, because they work well in lots of guns, are cheap, and I have a lot of them.

Any conventional design lead wadcutter or round-nose from RWS, H&N (aka Bisley), or JSB (who make Falcons) should cover 99% of anyone's sub-12 ft/lbs needs. Some of the Crosmans (eg Premiers in the box) may be OK too - I don't use them at the moment.

Avoid modern Wasps, most SMK, Marksman, Cammell, and anything more exotic-looking than H&N hollow points or RWS Superpoints, or not made of lead.

Avoid anything that seems too good value to be true. Except Gecos.

And enjoy your Omega! Lovely rifle.

Thank you Ian, That's the logical course of action,it's just that I've already amassed an ever growing collection of diablo pellets,largely as a result of such experiments.
    As an Omega owner could you not form a shortlist of likely candidates?.
    Then again there's always the strange phenomena of two examples of the same gun preferring a different round.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If you have Falcons, try them. Springers are usually better with lighter pellets, and they are on the light side, and are high quality.

I usually start with Hobbys and Superdomes, because they work well in lots of guns, are cheap, and I have a lot of them.

Any conventional design lead wadcutter or round-nose from RWS, H&N (aka Bisley), or JSB (who make Falcons) should cover 99% of anyone's sub-12 ft/lbs needs. Some of the Crosmans (eg Premiers in the box) may be OK too - I don't use them at the moment.

Avoid modern Wasps, most SMK, Marksman, Cammell, and anything more exotic-looking than H&N hollow points or RWS Superpoints, or not made of lead.

Avoid anything that seems too good value to be true. Except Gecos.

And enjoy your Omega! Lovely rifle.
    Again thank you,Tried the Falcons across the chronograph today,for an older rifle that doesn't appear to have had any work carried out, readings were amazingly consistent,within a few feet per second of eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Thank you Ian, That's the logical course of action,it's just that I've already amassed an ever growing collection of diablo pellets,largely as a result of such experiments.
    As an Omega owner could you not form a shortlist of likely candidates?.
    Then again there's always the strange phenomena of two examples of the same gun preferring a different round.
    Basically - what GEEZER has previously suggested. I always try Superdome when I do accuracy testing and over the chrono. Not THE best pellet in the world but then not the most expensive. I find they suit most barrels and then I do a bit of experimenting with JSB brands etc.
    In a .22 Omega - Ive got one that loves genuine Eley wasps but my stock of them is dwindling fast so I save them. Ive also got a BSA Mercury S (.22) than can tell the difference between genuine Eley Wasps and Bisley Wasp by increasing its m.e. by 1ft/lb.

Oh the joys of airguns.

I've just remembered a stash of two thousand Superdomes in the boot of a car,must stop collecting cars,this place makes Steptoe's yard look well kept.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I've just remembered a stash of two thousand Superdomes in the boot of a car,must stop collecting cars,this place makes Steptoe's yard look well kept.
    Ive got four, awaiting my fifth next month.

Superdomes are a good starting point.

ATB
    Ian

pellets?

Hi, Superdomes go reasonably well in mine. Atb