Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley pistol box....

Webley pistol box....

Hi guys,

Just thought I would show off a couple pics of a Webley MkVI (Co2) pistol box that I have made for a mate at my club...

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...psastjvird.jpg

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...psgvnujctv.jpg

It is made from ply and covered with 2mm veg tanned leather, the inside is also covered in leather and green baize.

The Webley trade label is the first image on a google image search, don't know if it is correct for this pistol but my mate will get a kick out of it nonetheless ...What d'ya think?...
    blah blah

Sorry, meant to post this in the air pistols section..could a mod move it there, please?

thanks
    blah blah

Looks superb and so much nice to have the gun in rather than a plastic case

I'm in the process of making a case for my LP53, managed to get an old 1950s medics case in dark wood and converting it, a lot of work but so worth the effort,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Very nice

I'm sure they will.
    The label is fine, if a little early, but I'm not complaining. Very nicely made, and room for a pair of pistols

Thanks guys,

I've just given it a once-over with some dark tan Cherry Blossom shoe polish to age the leather a bit...think I'm happy with it now

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...pschrwewwf.jpg
    blah blah

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Very nice indeed - a period style handle and it'd be perfect.

Excellent work.
    Must be a market for them.

WOWSER!!

That's a grand job mate

I('m watching a few kiddies suitcases (Some evacuation ones from WW2) to put my PP-700 in!!

May have to have a go at making one too! (I just know it'll only be 10% as good as yours )

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Looks like a very nice well finished case.
    I had a thought as to whether the Tempest Centennial case would be suitable for the Mk.VI, but as I don't have one, I haven't been able to try it out, although as for the Tempest, it would possibly still be too large a case.

Thanks chaps,

Re. making them to sell...dunno, I had most of the materials already and have a fair few hours in the making of it, it was fun to do too...mostly, but not sure if it would be worth the time it takes let alone the cost? ..The only bits I bought were the piano hinge, lock and the self adhesive green baize, which still cost about £18-£20, something like that bought off the bay for convenience...I used half a pot of contact adhesive and I dunno what the leather and timber would cost? doesn't look it but there is about 5 square feet of leather in its construction (inside and out) - £20-£30?...so, at least £40-£50 in materials before you even start...

Re. internal dimensions of the box, it was made to snugly accommodate the original cardboard box supplied with the pistol (the diagonal divider isn't fixed) but I plan to make a leather covered pellet tin, oil bottle and cleaning rod to match...when I get around to it

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...psyc9qxhuc.jpg

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...pszr8uxsve.jpg
    blah blah

Plus your time Dave so at least £100 retail?
    Maybe not a way into the big time.

Reminds me of the time a mate made me an HW 95 with a .25 barrel off an 80.
    We had the bits in hand ,but when we costed the parts new and making them to sell on ,the price would have been prohibitive.
    Last edited by gingernut; 03-04-2016 at 11:03 AM.

If you think the modern Webley cases were around the hundred mark when Protek had them, I'd say these ones would be able to be sold for at least double that (in as much as they are small quantity hand made cases, rather than mass produced hand made in China/India/wherever).

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Looks like a very nice well finished case.
    I had a thought as to whether the Tempest Centennial case would be suitable for the Mk.VI, but as I don't have one, I haven't been able to try it out, although as for the Tempest, it would possibly still be too large a case.
    I've just checked and the case would need to have been about a cm longer top to bottom to accommodate the revolver squarely, with the left hand internal division also being broken into.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    I've just checked and the case would need to have been about a cm longer top to bottom to accommodate the revolver squarely, with the left hand internal division also being broken into.
    Thanks for that, but they do adapt to take a Nemesis quite easily, but, as for the pistol it was intended, the case is much to large.
    I wasn't too concerned about moving or adapting the dividers as I have near enough the right coloured material for re-covering, but it was the width I was concerned about, which you have now answered.
    Looks like I will either have to make a new case or adapt an existing one, should I ever obtain a Mk.VI.

Cheers guys...between £100 and £200 then! ...I may knock-up a couple more, we'll see...think I have enough of that veg tan leather for about ten or so...

Few tips for anyone thinking of having a go at making one of these..

1) if possible use the old timber and ply from old gash furniture to make the box, it is stable and (unlike new kiln-dried timber) it will not move, shake, warp or leech out resin six months down the line (just think how much that will upset you...)...bonus is it's usually free, old drawer boxes are best.

2) make a six sided box first, then mark it around and cut it by hand with a decent saw to make lid and base, then it'll fit

3) when gluing the leather on, use high strength contact adhesive and double coat the leather with glue - scrap a coat of glue on and leave it half hour or so to dry, then scrap another coat of glue on the leather and the box, leave to go tacky-dry (10 -15 mins) before bringing the two together, rub the leather with a smooth piece of wood to work out any lumps. Work quickly with the glue and don't use loads of it, but only work on one side of the box at a time.

4) search the bay for job lots of leather hides, you'll be surprised what you can pick up for little money.

I quite fancy making a small case for my Skan now...
    blah blah