Thread: whaley Crossman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm

whaley Crossman

Anybody remember or has a whaley crossman?
    I think they were about in the late 70s early 80s
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Dave. Guest
    I remember them, wanted one at the time but I'm glad I never bought one as they were a right crock.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Yes expensive modded Crosman 761XL with wood stock. Claims of 850 fps in .177, three shot capacity and possible use as an air-shotgun accompanied the hype. Similar item sold as the Marshal Crosman. Inaccurate and unreliable with poor build quality. Do a search on the forum and see the slagging it gets.

Sharp Innova, Ace and Victory all far superior, as indeed was Crosman's own 766 (still for sale as the Classic, because it was cheap and cheerful). Sheridans with H&N pellets would also be better.

If you want a nice classic pump-up, Gary-K has a Crosman 140 for sale which is all-steel and real wood and a good piece of kit.

old thread

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ghlight=Whaley
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 11-08-2005 at 06:44 PM.

[QUOTE=Hsing-ee]Yes expensive modded Crosman 761XL with wood stock. Claims of 850 fps in .177, three shot capacity and possible use as an air-shotgun accompanied the hype. Similar item sold as the Marshal Crosman. Inaccurate and unreliable with poor build quality. Do a search on the forum and see the slagging it gets.

Sharp Innova, Ace and Victory all far superior, [QUOTE]

Whaleys of North London Tld. 456 Hornsey Road, London N19 4EE. Special based on the Crosman 761XL. Best advert for Sharps rifles ever.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Yes and I knew Adam Whaley quite well, the gun was just uprated a bit, shot like a shotgun even with pellets

They had mine doing over 1000fps when testing, still shot like **** though

Maybe the fact that the awful gun it was based on still had about 3mm play in end barrel fixing!

I remember a couple of evenings doing pellet tests for AGW in the shop basement, along with Rod Lynton and Adam, wow that was fun

The BSF rifle included in the testing regularly showed way over 12 ftlb as did the FWB sport, they had to be retuned to lower velocities

Baz

Whaley Crossman 761 XL super!!

The year was 1978 I think; what sold it to me was the picture of the pellet holder fixed neatly to the side in Airgun World. Promises of 2 full power shots without re-pumping.
    I actually part exchanged a .22 HW35 Luxus and opted for the rosewood timber. The gun looked absolutely great topped with a 3 x 9 - 40 in its fitted case. I recall it being inaccurate, just very poorly made and loud.
    I used that gun in the very first field target shoot organised by AGW and if memory serves me right a chap called Rex won it using a HW35 .22 which I still recall bent the sillohettes as it hit
    The gun lies somewhere in bits - I talked a cousin into it who happened to have a very nice .22 HW35 to chop

You must have got the only accurate one then, I recall irate letters from owners all over the country regarding accuracy

When I questioned Rod Lynton about the group pics in mag he admitted they were shot from 6 inches, at which range even the 761XL was ok

Baz

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by yansica1
    if memory serves me right a chap called Rex won it using a HW35 .22 which I still recall bent the sillohettes as it hit
    Rex used a .22 Feinwerkbau Sport.

Whaley Crosman???
    I remember it well.
    I opted for the oak version. I think it was just a lump of beech painted yellow.
    The accuracy wasn't to bad, but like any other crossman, it was a pain in the **** to pump up.
    The blurb at the time recommended 12 pumps initially, shoot, then 5 pumps shoot, six pumps shoot, and carry on in that manner. No doubt if Crombro units were available in those days, we would have found individual rifles different.
    The rifle operated with a simple knock open valve arrangement.
    I didn't keep it long, prefering to use my FWB sport.
    The lad that bought it still lives local, I will see if he still has it.
    Robin

draftsmann Guest
    I might well be selling one soon if anyone is interested. They are nasty things, but quite collectible.

Adrian

Good lord did they sell that many

Baz