I am confused. Is the new Sterling Mk2 a PCP or a springer that is intended to replicate the Webley Service MK2? Can we have an authoritative response?

Perhaps there could be a removable barrel but also a fixed barrel version, at a lower cost. Possibly, this would not be feasible as it would involve two different production models.

The cost is the biggest factor, methinks. Those here well know the old Mk2 Service rifle but how many know this amongst the buying public? Will Sterling sell, based on its brand name, regardless of price - like a Bentley motor car?

What is the competition, more generally? HW and Air Arms are two with splendid reputations, just for a start. Sterling wants to charge a premium but will the market tolerate it? A small number might buy but will they cover production costs and provide a return on capital? What will Sterling offer for its products that other manufacturers do not, to justify the higher prices?

I am struggling hard to see how this adds up from a business viewpoint. Perhaps Sterling has done its sums but perhaps not. It might end up copying Webley too closely: one recalls the Mk3 was a successful rifle, selling very widely but it never made any money for the company, as far as I understand it. I would like to see Sterling making money and coming out with new and innovative products to knock the German competition.