Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still use open sights?!

For Vintage rifles I always use opens (peeps); distance 6yrds
    For airpistol I still use opens; usually 6yrds or 10m, but 25m is possible
    For 10m match AR I use peeps

Dont care much bout regular opens but woul appreciate more rifles sold new with peeps (or option for peeps)
    ATB,
    yana

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I like the "Irons" but my eyes aren't up to it nowadays.
    From a hunting viewpoint they are great as you can see the surrounding area of the target so you get quick acquisition and if you're lucky the chance of another target !
    “An airgun or two”………

Yes, still use open sights, bead & v on vintage is fine with me, quite like a square post front sight with square notch rear. Easy enough to hold over or under with both types to allow for range. Fine on more modern designs too. Not so keen on peep sights in some instances. Ok in constant reasonable light at regular shaped well illuminated targets but in varriable circumstances I'd opt for something else as first choice. Scopes have their place though but perhaps aren't always needed in my opinion.

Mmmm...maybe I am missing(!) something....Never used a 'scope on any of my collectables......

Me to

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Mmmm...maybe I am missing(!) something....Never used a 'scope on any of my collectables......
    Never use telescopic on any of my old Rifles either just doesn't seem right.

Iron are best for quick target acquisition and I would never put anything else on a lever action. John Wayne didn't need anything else!!!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Well, I am encouraged by the backing for open sights. I feared I was very much in the minority but this is not the case.

With scopes making shooting such an easy option, it needs some determination to keep to the traditional faith. I also like to see a manufacturer make the facility available; alas, many do not.

I cut my teeth with the Webley Mk3 open sights and there was little I could not hit with them; I still have a nostalgia for them and find they are pretty good to use.

The best, in my view and excluding aperture sights, are those on the old BSA Standard, which provide a sharp image.

Depends on the gun, and intended use.

My current open sight guns are:
    mk1-6 Meteors
    HW80 and 35, plus the old HW30 and the old HW50
    BSA L. pattern
    Webley Osprey
    Webley Victor
    Diana(both German and British made) 25-27-35

The weekend before last i got out my .22 webley and my R10 and headed out to my local outdoor range. I wasn't really enjoying using the PCP, so switched over to the auld webley. I'd forgotten how accurate it fun it was to use. So AndrewM you aren't on your own!

It’s the challenge of using iron sights that makes the session more fun for me. Any half decent shot can get a good result with a PCP and a scope.

If only accurate rifles are interesting, then any rifle where more of your input is required to make it so, MUST be more interesting.

I just sold thd most consistant and accurate rifle I’ve ever had (FX Wildcat), and bought a Prosport to sit in the rack with Sheridans etc. I’ve never enjoyed shooting so much!

That said, I don’t hunt. If I miss, it doesnt matter, nothing gets injured.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

I’m so into open sights I changed my avatar to the Crosman 108 double sight. Why one when you can have two?

Very much agree with the latest comments. As PhilB remarks, it is the challenge of using open sights and the sense of achievement to have placed the pellets on the target. A PCP and scope combination is inert, characterless and without challenge. Open sights add to the challenge and allow the owner to master the rifle. Furthermore, the older rifles were designed to be fired with open sights and they provided that combination of challenge and achievement, with a feeling of connection, as Gingernut observes.

I have to say back to basics with open or peep sights is much more satisfying than a scope.
    I will probably get lynched for saying that so many "shooter's" who sit at their benches with a PCP and scope are missing out and might as well just put the gun in a vice and just work the bolt and trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by colin57 View Post
    I have to say back to basics with open or peep sights is much more satisfying than a scope.
    I will probably get lynched for saying that so many "shooter's" who sit at their benches with a PCP and scope are missing out and might as well just put the gun in a vice and just work the bolt and trigger.
    Nicely put Colin, that’s the reason I sold my FX Wildcat.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Open sights

Open sights , I think they are great . In my opion a rifle has far far cleaner lines without a scope . I try to get them fitted to lots of my collection if they aren't standard fit .