Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birchwood Casey bluing and stock finish.

Birchwood Casey bluing and stock finish.

Having spent some time stripping , re bluing my BSA Goldstar and stripping the stock to refinish as it had had a battering over the years, the stock has come remarkably well using the casey kit but the bluing does/has not taken the full dark colour I had hoped for although its is much better condition than when I started so I am fairly happy with the outcome, I also got some of that aluminium black from casey, I dont think much of that stuff, never worked well for me on the barrel end weight and maxi scope rail as listed on the diagram in John Knibs website.

Any one else has better success using these products,

I remember years ago using a bluing that the parts were totally submersed in the blue fluid/water mix and it seemed to work well from memory, the birchwood technique where you apply to small areas seems prone to getting an uneven finish, although after a few coats it improves, but then the process stops working so you cant just keep coating.

Chris

I'm currently in two minds over the blueing kit you used. In the past I have used the stuff to good effect on some rifles that could be called 'collectables' but were too badly 'gone' to rate that description in their current state. Results varied. Some took the blue very well and I acheived a good deep gloss; others did not and seemed to give a blue-brown colour. I remember one, a pre-war Diana 27 where the cylinder and barrel did well but the trigger block would not take a good colour no matter what I did. As these rifles were not to be shot too often I did not worry. But:
    I had a TX200 with a, frankly, really manky underlever so decided to refinish it with a home blue. This I did and the results were very good with an eventual deep gloss. Excellent, I thought. A few hundred shots later and I have noticed a distinct 'wear patch' on the underlever from where I grip it to cock the action. I can only assume that the cold blue is not very resilient to wear compared to a traditional hot blue. Maybe I got it wrong somehow? I don't know. The lever looks better than it did before I started so I am leaving it 'as is' for now.
    Cheers, Phil

The brown/blue colour is the what I have been left with on some areas, mostly areas covered by the stock so its not a huge concern,

It might be a case that in the future I will redo the blueing again with a different make, after all most of the hard work has been done removing the pitting and rust, I did not bother stripping the trigger mech, only enough to allow me to get the spring out and underleaver off.

Chris

G96 gun blue creme is a better product IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    G96 gun blue creme is a better product IMO.
    Thanks for the info, much appriceated.

Chris

re the stock finish ,, how did it come out and what colour.

thinking about getting the kit to re-do a beech hw stock

seen a few done with the kit , some look great and some look a bit red-ish in colour --- is that the norm

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post

seen a few done with the kit , some look great and some look a bit red-ish in colour --- is that the norm
    The colour is up to you,for a light colour water down the stain,overall its very good put the wax on very thin each time.

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post

I will take a photo, I followed the instructions mixed with a drop of water, I never bothered trying various water amounts, I just went for it, I have to yet put the last coat of conditioner on it, this is just coated with Tru oil, i've lost count how many coats, 5 or 6.

Chris
    Last edited by chrismac; 06-03-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Hopefully this will give you an idea, the stock was in a poor shape to the point I was actually thinking about getting a replacement, but it came up pretty good.

Untitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrismac View Post
    Hopefully this will give you an idea, the stock was in a poor shape to the point I was actually thinking about getting a replacement, but it came up pretty good.

Chris
    Very nice,I have just done one and when I used the conditioner,I used very fine steel wool with it to remove any small pips but make sure the oil is well dried and hard.

Quote Originally Posted by sarfarm View Post
    Very nice,I have just done one and when I used the conditioner,I used very fine steel wool with it to remove any small pips but make sure the oil is well dried and hard.
    Thanks and thanks for the info, I will leave it a day or so yet, the last coat just went on earlier tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chrismac View Post

Untitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

Chris

thanks for the pic , how many coats of stain have you put on it ...
    hoping to get a darker brown walnut

That was only one coat, 50-50 stain - water, it is quite dark maybe the flash has made it look a bit lighter,

Chris

Some people swear by the cold bluing stuff, personally I swear at it and for a quality rifle like a Goldstar I'd bite the bullet and get it blued properly. It isn't ridiculously expensive and the results are so much better. My second alternative would be to rust blue.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Some people swear by the cold bluing stuff, personally I swear at it and for a quality rifle like a Goldstar I'd bite the bullet and get it blued properly. It isn't ridiculously expensive and the results are so much better. My second alternative would be to rust blue.
    That's interesting and something I never even considered, I guess a google search will point me in the direction of some who can do this/

Chris