Thread: HW 99 cocking problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stripped the gun rubbed all the bers of the cocking shoe re built it and it was ok got 5 shots now back to grinding...... going to have to strip it again and remove the spring as just said thanks for the help

Aha, so you've gone for the "fettle route"?

Have fun, do as described above; you'll get there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by mad man View Post
    Stripped the gun rubbed all the bers of the cocking shoe re built it and it was ok got 5 shots now back to grinding...... going to have to strip it again and remove the spring as just said thanks for the help
    dont forget to check the foot again as the grinding may have roughed it up again. This fault is brought about by the Gun heating up under a sustained plinking session. it would be quite possible for a hunter who just takes say a dozen shots per outing to be completely oblivious to the fact that the gun had a problem. it usualy starts after about 30 continuous shots. if you leave the gun for a while it goes away as the gun cools and then comes back. if you can get to 50 shots without the problem you are probably ok. I have recently been informed of one of mine that i fixed and later sold that it was galling after about 70 shots. I think it is one that i smoothed the foot but left the spring in place as an experiment. It is rare for me to plink for 70 shots. Usually i have changed guns by then. So it would seem that it is essential to remove the spring and smooth the foot.

Also check that the knuckle area is not dragging. There will be witness marks if it is. Maybe also worth reducing the Delrin strip a tad.

Have you applied moly paste / grease to all contact areas, including the "foot" and the internal of the cylinder?

Breech shims lubed and pivot bolt not overtight?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!