Thread: Have I started something?

Have I started something?

A few months ago, I commented on a post about how I had never shot a Webley air rifle, let alone owned one. Well, not long after that, I picked up an Omega for practically nothing, but just needed a re-blue. Well, yesterday whilst I was bored in work, I visited a local gun shop's website and couldn't believe my eyes. Advertised for £245, I bought it without even seeing it (I know, stupid), and picked it up today. What was it? This...

https://imgur.com/a/znuyZoV

The question now is do I have it restored, as the blue is brown (and in some places gone) and the stock has seen better days, or do I leave it as it is? But more importantly, am I going to get bitten by the collecting bug? I mean I already have two Tempests, a Mk 1 & 5 Meteor, a Mk 1 & 2 Mercury, an Omega and a Relum Tornado. I'm really worried now, as I've had my eye on a few Hy-Score pistols as well.

The eye piece on that rear flip sight is odd. Never seen one like that. Though £245 is a steal for that!

By the sound of it you have already caught the bug!

Mk IIs are new to me, but when I saw the price I had to get it. It's ironic that it was so cheap, as the shop in question is notoriously expensive; I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who brought it in only got £20 for it. But I've had a few absolute bargains there, weirdly. Not sure what the eyepiece is supposed to look like; I'll have to do a bit of digging. Not sure where the serial number would be either; only thing I can find apart from the patent numbers is 42 stamped underneath the barrel. Shouldering it, it really does have that "feels right" feeling about it; can't wait to put a few pellets through it tomorrow.

Serial at rear of trigger guard. Peep sight here

Thanks mate, found it now, S7927, which I think makes it 1936-37. Do you mind if I pass your drawings on to my brother, he's an engineer and could probably make the rear peep sight for me.

Looks like the pin that stops the bolt rotating is gone/not working. No drama as it should repair.
    Cracking gun for the price and are actually nice to shoot too.

Mine will be the last gun I part with, such is my attachment to it.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Quote Originally Posted by Hartcliffer View Post
    Thanks mate, found it now, S7927, which I think makes it 1936-37. Do you mind if I pass your drawings on to my brother, he's an engineer and could probably make the rear peep sight for me.
    Help yourself. Good fun aren't they.