Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry level benchrest scopes?

Entry level benchrest scopes?

Hi folks, I'll be dipping my toe into the benchrest scene fairly soon, and I'm looking for recommendations for a very entry level scope. I'll be mounting said scope on a Origibal/Diana 75.
    I'm not bothered about period looks and I'm not building an ultimate setup. I'm just looking for a decent scope that I can keep and use elsewhere if I find that benchrest isn't for me.
    I have also applied for .308 on my fac, so, fingers crossed, the use of such a scope may be transferable to long range target shooting.

So far I'm looking at nikko stirling diamond 6-24x50 holdfast, old bsa platinum with fine crosshair.... my budget will hopefully be around the 300 mark maximum, although I don't mind trying a cheaper scope to see if the benchrest is for me.
    Thanks for looking....
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Hi folks, I'll be dipping my toe into the benchrest scene fairly soon, and I'm looking for recommendations for a very entry level scope. I'll be mounting said scope on a Origibal/Diana 75.
    I'm not bothered about period looks and I'm not building an ultimate setup. I'm just looking for a decent scope that I can keep and use elsewhere if I find that benchrest isn't for me.
    I have also applied for .308 on my fac, so, fingers crossed, the use of such a scope may be transferable to long range target shooting.

So far I'm looking at nikko stirling diamond 6-24x50 holdfast, old bsa platinum with fine crosshair.... my budget will hopefully be around the 300 mark maximum, although I don't mind trying a cheaper scope to see if the benchrest is for me.
    Thanks for looking....
    I wonder if some of the classic early 90s FT (actually repurposed long-range US “varmint”) scopes might be good at that price. Tasco 6-24x40TR, Leupold 6-18x40 or 6.5-20x40. I have had a few of them, and they are definitely good scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I wonder if some of the classic early 90s FT (actually repurposed long-range US “varmint”) scopes might be good at that price. Tasco 6-24x40TR, Leupold 6-18x40 or 6.5-20x40. I have had a few of them, and they are definitely good scopes.

Thanks geezer... I'll have a look at them as well.. cheers.

One thing I'm wondering about.. I've not looked through a high (20+) mag scope.. I'm thinking the crosshairs maybe obscure the 2mm circle on the target? How do benchresters get on target? I have been looking at reticle with gaps around the centre or post type reticle which I could balance the 2mm ring on top of, or between. I'm also thinkingthat with a traditional crosshair, I could tuck the ring into the |__ .... or am I thinking too much?
    Donald

There is a similar thread in the the general section just now, Donald. That very point on crosshairs included. I cant add much to this apart from to watch out for a very long scope making loading a bit fiddly on the 75.

Thanks Drew, I'll have a wee look just now
    Donald

Benchrest scope

I would say the leupold 6.5-20 x40 efr would be a good choice also a used sight Ron sll 36x42 scope. I shot benchrest with .22lr and had good success with a fox firearms 6-24x50 side parallax scope which can be bought for about £140 .would also work on a .308. Very good glass for the price.

Thanks xdriver, I seen that fox scope on the bsa you sold recently. Looked like a perfect setup for me, but fac still isn't through!
    Donald

Drew, any chance you could copy and paste a link to that other thread please? I canny find it.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Drew, any chance you could copy and paste a link to that other thread please? I canny find it.
    It's the 6-24 First Focal Plane thread. Hope it helps a bit, Donald.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ecommendations

Aye I seen that one Drew.. doesn't go too much into reticle selection though...also, I'm not after a ffp scope.. I had a 44 mag ffp scope before and it didn't work for me.
    Donald

They're not for everybody. The reticle at 24x never mind 44x would be quite substantial.
    There seems to be a few interesting scopes popping up in the sales section.

Bench rest scope

Hi, i shoot both 0.22lr and air rifle benchrest. My first scope was a Bushnell 6500 Elite, unfortunately with mildot, great sight picture and easily useable for other disciplines, but the cross hairs certainly hide the dot! However, using NSRA targets, the cross hairs neatly match the numbers, giving a great aiming point.
    I recently upgraded to a sightron S2, and it's far superior for bench rest, narrow crosshairs and the dot fits inside the 2mm bull! Try and see what other club members are using, but you really need at least 20X magnification. David

Thanks David.. exactly the kind of info I'm after.. being that I'm only just trying out the benchrest discipline, and I maybe find a scope I can use elsewhere, have you ever tried or heard of anyone using the crosshairs to cradle the 2mm bull rather than cover it? In theory I can't see why it isn't an option, then again, I've never tried it
    Donald

2mm at 25m is the equivalent of 0.275 MOA.

Leupold's Target Dot reticle is 0.125 MOA. Nightforce for example do some reticles that go down as far as 0.016 MOA. Plenty to chose from however that may be limited with your budget.

Google the reticle subtension for various scopes and see what will work.

Just remember on a SFP scope, the mag which the subtension is quoted at may not be the max mag, therefore it may appear thinner than quoted when at maximum.

On a FFP then it will be correct regardless of the mag.

Sorry if that comes across as teaching you to suck eggs

Not at all mate.. just more facts for me to digest... I must admit, I'm no scope aficionados... I don't think I've ever spent more than 100 quid on a scope and I only got my first scope, a 4x20 bsa on my .22 Mercury around 1993! I don't think I got a variable mag for another 10 years! I've always liked open sights.
    Now I find myself on a learning curve and will take all advice. I can see a market for custom reticle, and I don't know why we can't order our own direct from manufacturers even at the lower price level. I feel like there is a real lack of reticle available. I like the half mildot and I like some of the classic gets like the A7 and L7 , as well as the plain fine crosshair.

Surely there's folks out there with a good idea for a reticle that would work for them.. how hard would it be to lay it out in an image format and Have The machine etch it ?
    Donald