Thread: BSA Goldstar Underlever Servicing

BSA Goldstar Underlever Servicing

Some of the below was in another thread. I’ve added info collected when reassembling and some other observations. Best all in one thread that is more easily searchable in future.

An Idiots Guide...

To servicing a BSA Goldstar Underlever Spring Rifle.

My Goldstar needed a bit of a going over, and the information I could find was patchy and incomplete. If anyone needs to service one the below might be of some use.

Remove the stock screws, two at the fore end and one on the trigger guard. Pull trigger guard free. Separate the stock from the action.

Remove screw from maxi scope rail - the short sleeve inside and end cap comes out.

Compress spring slightly (I used a McGyvered sash clamp and a bit of timber with a half inch notch in to clear the retaining pin.) then push out the large retaining pin.

Release the pressure on the spring, then the spring pulls out.

The piston and compression tube need the main trigger sear taking out (knock out the sear pin then remove with needle nosed pliers)

The pins in the trigger unit are not very secure, a piece of tape is a good idea to stop any coming adrift.

Remove maxi rail - knock towards the rear of the gun with a soft drift, then lift off.

Both compression tube and piston push out now.

Reassembly the reverse of the above.

Now, if you decide for reasons of your own to remove the sliding magazine locking pin, you need to be very careful not to lose the tiny ball bearing and spring that acts on the pin. A chap I know was rather too cavalier when removing this...

If you have cause to remove the anti bear trap rod, and decide that the easiest way is to remove the split pin through the cocking lever, pay close attention to how the split pin ends are bent. They are bent in such a way as to allow the ABT rod to slide through the eye during cocking (and not to allow the eye of the pin to rotate). Failure to heed this when replacing the split pin will cause the rod to buckle and bend.

On a final note, the underlever catch pin and the barrel weight may be loctited on and will require gentle heat to break the bond if you need to remove them.

If anyone else has anything to add from their experience with the Goldstar that would be great.

BSA Goldstar Underlever Removal

Yorkiets,

I have read with interest your post on disassembling the Goldstar.

The scope rail on mine had a screw at the front, which was undone after the piston was removed, prior to removing the rail.

Could you kindly give any pointers on how to remove the underlever from the breech?

The pin appears to be immoveable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jed