Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fx guns - are they as good as everyone makes out?

Fx guns - are they as good as everyone makes out?

Look on YouTube and it seems all the major airgun personalities especially in USA and South Africs are using FX, usually the impact or crown but also the wildcat. Although FAC rated, the accuracy at 100 yards they are presenting as being achieved is nuts, 10 shots over 1 inch. At the Extreme Benchrest comps, FX seems to be the weapon of choice. Even the likes of Giles Barry infers in his videos his go to brand is now FX rather than being Daystate. But I remember Bar's issues when Impact first came out. What do everyday users think about them?

I have had 6 FX rifles over the last 8 years. They were all accurate, some were very accurate. The early action in my mk1 verminator, cyclone and cutlass was a little fragile, but very compact and light. The new actions are very much stronger but a little bulkier and I find the new spring loaded magazines a bit of a pain. I currently have an FAC crown and a sub 12 streamline and these are excellent, I would recommend the new guns. Fit and finish is maybe not quite on a par with AA but better than BSA or the daystates I have seen, and if weight is an issue the FX guns are significantly lighter than those from other manufacturers. I would say that they get a bad press, but this seems mainly down to them releasing stuff before it is fully tested. This wasn't an issue with the crown (I had to wait 18 months from overseas release to get mine) or the streamline (I bought what I presume was one of the last before the dreamline was released) so advice would seem to be don't be an early adopter of a new model.

Although I don't have plans to buy one, I'll be watching this thread with interest, I too noted the bad press so will be interesting to see if they have put that behind them
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    To me FX are more suited to the FAC market, for sub 12fpe the adjustments for power are mostly unusable, so many people have messed up their guns by trying to play with them in this manor, and the smooth twist barrels prefer higher velocities and only start to come into their own with them, which you struggle to reach even with AA Express in a sub 12fe gun as it's just nudging 800fps but the FAC guns you see on you tube are doing 950fps+ with an 18gn pellet - there is a big difference!

I've had two over the past couple of years, my Impact was rubbish, as many of the early ones were, it had numerous problems and was basically a dog which I eventually got working to an acceptable level and sold giving the new owner a list of what had been done and the only pellets it would shoot straight. It's not fair to tar them all with the same brush, some have been very good and their owners rave about them, but there were a significant number that were not good, although I believe the new ones are far better.

I've also recently had a new Crown with the latest reg and smooth twist x barrel. (same internals as the new Impact) Again, I'd say these are better suited for FAC and again, most of the potential to adjust the power is waisted. This one was fine to be fair, it was light, had a good shot count, was reasonable accurate - but it could not compete with my Red Wolf, so it went. The Daystate was just nicer to handle and more accurate, and if you look at the Extreme bench rest this year Daystate wiped the floor with FX and took most of the silverware in most categories. In fact, I've just bought a second Red Wolf I was so impressed with the first, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. As for Giles, he's on the payroll - two years ago it was Daystate, Daystate, Daystate and he helped them on their stands at the trade shows - guess which rifles he's testing now - and on who's stands he's working So although I like him, you can't really believe his conclusions to be influence free.

I think FX have a lot going for them, but more so in the FAC market, which is why you see all the guys in America and South Africa with them. The options of barrel swopping etc is great for some people, but at around £250 and the inconvenience of doing it most people don't bother - I've seen loads up for sale because they are "not being used". FX are innovative, but can use the public to properly test some of their stuff before it's really fit for purpose, which is a bit duff. They are doing stuff which is great on paper, but in reality will not be used by many people, but some will love it - swapping stocks/barrels ect…….. each to their own, I'd rather just pick up the right gun for the job?

So I don't have a downer on FX, I just think they are not really UK focused, and if you like the tactical look and feel of some of their guns then they are worth a go.

If I were you I'd look at the model I was interested in - say the new Crown for example, and then find a couple of alternatives - the Red Wolf and perhaps the Steyr LG110 Hunter? Then get to an RFD and touch and feel them, try them out if possible, but make sure they fit and you like the handling and action. They should all be very similar performance wise, but you will have a favourite - so buy that one. You can only read and research so much without getting your hands on one, and you will get other peoples opinions and experience good and bad.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    As for Giles, he's on the payroll - two years ago it was Daystate, Daystate, Daystate and he helped them on their stands at the trade shows - guess which rifles he's testing now - and on who's stands he's working So although I like him, you can't really believe his conclusions to be influence free
    I suppose it's hard to be impartial in that position, presumably Daystate did OK, wonder why he 'swapped sides'
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Loving my mk2 wildcat

I’ve got a lot of time for FX air rifles although, I’m yet to venture into the new breed stuff as I just can’t justify the use or price tag

All the older FX range I’ve previously owned have been fantastic stuff, never once had a problem and the Mk1 verminator I had was awesome.

I’ve seen a few club members newer fx stuff and they do look fantastic bits of kit. I’ve had a go on the impact and really like it.

Must admit when the smooth twist stuff came out many years ago, I don’t know why but I never really considered the brand anymore possibly because there were quite a few negative reports around the time, so it never really floated my boat.

However having shot a smooth twist x barrelled impact in my opinion that would never put me off now.

What does concern me a little is I’ve read and know that they can require a little work to make them tip top.

Now for a rifle that costs so much this does put me on the fence a little.

Should I ever be in the market for one, I would not only ‘want’ but blooming ‘demand’ that if I was paying so much money for a tool for a job then it better work as intended.

Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough my local RFD said the same today - never buy a new model at release, give it 6 months so they can sort the teething issues out

Love my mk1 wildcat sticks plenty in the bag for me. Piccy in link below

https://ibb.co/dLw9dh2

Mike
    Last edited by game getter; 05-04-2019 at 05:30 PM.

I currently use a mk1 Bobcat in .177 sub 12lb and a mk2 Bobcat in .22 in FAC and can’t fault either guns...
    FX Bobcat MK2 .22 FAC. ATN X-Sight LTV.
    FX Impact X .177 Saim SCP19.
    FX Dreamline Compact Lite. .177 Hawke Sidewinder 4x16 FFP.

Quote Originally Posted by jigs View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Oddly enough my local RFD said the same today - never buy a new model at release, give it 6 months so they can sort the teething issues out
    With the rate new models keep coming out we will be on the mk6 latest FX incarnation by Xmas

At least they are giving Daystate Limited Editions a good run for the money though

They are superb in fac, although I've heard the new x barrelled version are fine in sub 12 also.
    The smooth twist needs speed to work as it should.
    Shooting eggs at 150 yards with my impact X , royale 500 and boss .30
    So very accurate and very high shot count.

Had a Wildcat Mk2 in .17 that was astonishing in every area, sold as I didn’t (and still don’t) like side levers. 8 shot mag too. Hmmm.

Next up was a brief affair with a FX Independence in .22. Interesting gun.

If I concentrated, it wasn’t gusty and the pellets were suited, I could nearly hit a barn door at 30 yds.

Seriously, it was shockingly inaccurate, all barrel issues, loaded pellets individually, many types, even opened a thread on here somewhere for advice. I stripped it, polished the bore, recrowned it etc. Obviously AFTER the issues. Got rid.

It put me off buying the Impact, it still does.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

My .25 FAC Impact is a phenomenal rifle, I honestly can’t believe how accurate and consistent it is. To be fair I have put the legwork into fine tuning it but the net result is the next best thing to a ray gun!
    I don’t claim to be a crack shot but i only bother shooting it at 100yds at the range now because any less is frankly boring.
    The group on the left is 10 shots at the 1” shoot and see dots at 100yds.
    If it got nicked or damaged I’d buy another in a heartbeat without looking at any other rifles.
    https://imgur.com/a/jOKctv6

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I've no experience with FX guns at all, but from my view as a prospective buyer (and I was very close to buying a Verminator and Independence), it came down to:

- Very expensive
    - QC/development issues
    - Not optimised for sub-12 market

I was also not impressed with their website at the time (a couple of years ago) which looked like an early 00's website and was very thin on information. Not confidence inspiring, in the internet age.

I saw far too many complaints on here to be comfortable dropping more than a grand on a rifle just so I could have the privilege of being a beta tester for their mk II or mk III - and it does come down to the money in the end, because FX charges premium prices. I came to the conclusion that my money was better spent elsewhere, on rifles that were more accurate, more reliable, and often better looking, for a fraction of the cost.
    At the end of the day you have to ask yourself what exactly you are paying for when you spend all that money on an FX?
    Daystates may be eye-wateringly expensive also, but at least you can generally see where the money has gone.
    Good deals with these members