Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about a BSA PCP

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    My dad has a Spitfire, and I have shot that rifle quite a bit, but it does not speak to me like the Tech Star does.

I like my Ultras, and have been on the lookout for a Hornet for some while, but the classic stock design of the Tech Star adds the charm of the Super Meteor to the modern PCP design.
    Nice that your dad has a Spitfire. Is it the SF or HF model? My first airgun was a SF .177. Still have it, but it's in Holland. Not a good idea, as these must be shot regularly to prevent leaks...
    How is the airgun scene in Norway if I may ask? Are you allowed to hunt and is there a power limit?
    About the Techstar stock: I inletted a Super Meteor stock for the mmc action about two years ago. That's when I took this photo. The Meteor stock is shorter, but the lines are very similar. I used it on a .22 ms concoction (the breech came off an Ultra was tuned for me previously - I should never have taken that gun apart!). In the end I didn't really like my diy effort.

This is a superb thread , loving the knowledge and pictures . keep it going gents

Quote Originally Posted by scoie View Post
    This is a superb thread , loving the knowledge and pictures . keep it going gents
    Like others on this thread, I really like my BSA pcp’s.
    My favourite is my Hornet carbine with a HUMA reg fitted,my Ultra se has the longer 320mm cylinder fitted.
    My Spitfire in .22 is very accurate and reliable .
    I just need to get my Firebird serviced (it won’t hold pressure for long).
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Are you using internet explorer ? if so try changing to a different browser like firefox.
    Hi Bighit, were you able to see my pics ?

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Nice that your dad has a Spitfire. Is it the SF or HF model? My first airgun was a SF .177. Still have it, but it's in Holland. Not a good idea, as these must be shot regularly to prevent leaks...
    How is the airgun scene in Norway if I may ask? Are you allowed to hunt and is there a power limit?
    About the Techstar stock: I inletted a Super Meteor stock for the mmc action about two years ago. That's when I took this photo. The Meteor stock is shorter, but the lines are very similar. I used it on a .22 ms concoction (the breech came off an Ultra was tuned for me previously - I should never have taken that gun apart!). In the end I didn't really like my diy effort.
    I'm not really sure about the Spitfire, it has the "popup" fill indicator/over pressure valve, but is a Swedish 10joule restricted gun.
    We have no power limits here, but in Juli 2009 there was mandatory registration of all new purchases of airguns above .177. But we can keep all previously bought "large calibre" airguns unregistered, as long as they are not sold or traded.

Now, hunting with airguns is not legal in Norway. Hunting with airguns was banned with the game laws of 1981, but pest control with airguns was socially accepted (although, probably illegal, but professional pest controllers do use airguns when those are seen as the best tools for the job)up until about 2000, nobody cared. Pest control is controlled by law, and not considered hunting, so people debate whether shooting rats with airguns are legal or not. Rats are not mentioned in the game laws, but the pest control laws only mention chemical control.
    Back in the 60's 70's and 80's, granddad and dad shot a lot of thrush in the garden with airguns. They had me do it in the 90's too...
    These days I prefer to stay on the safe side of the law, and not shoot living animals with airguns.

Norwegian society has changed a lot over the two last decades.
    Airguns are, if you interpret the definition of a "shooting weapon" in our "weapons law" literally, the same as firearms- they are just not controlled the same way. Most communities have local police regulations, which state that you can not shoot in populated areas. If you as your local police force about shooting airguns in your garden, you will get varying answers.
    Up until the late nineties nobody cared if you shot an airgun in your garden, but these days, you depend on a close relationship with your neighbours to be able to do that without being reported to the police.

But this is way off topic, sorry about that!

The super meteor stock conversion has me thinking.....

Very interesting to read about airguns in Norway.
    One of my happiest airgun memories is plinking with an extremely fun to use Gamo Delta Fox at a sheep farm in Rogne, between lambing sheep (that was in May 2015 iirc).
    Just simple fun in that amazing Norwegian landscape.

That is a Spitfire SF. It is an amazingly intelligent and creative design. Typical JB. But so difficult to reseal. I have resealed one, but it has just started leaking from the front valve . Will have to start all over again lol. But man, the idea of an in-line valve design with a bleed off valve to start in the sweet spot of the curve each time... And the pressure indicator. And the fact that you can fill with a buddy bottle. Mine does 30 good shots per fill in .22. With a buddy bottle in the pocket that means about 100 shots? A lot. The Spitfire barrel is in fact a SuperTEN barrel on a springer barrel block. John summoned the factory to use these as the choke in the S10 barrel gives supreme accuracy.

Meteor stocks. I have a spare one that I would be happy to send to Norway for costs of postage if you want. Might be tricky with customs though? But it you want it, let me know.
    Inletting is easy. You fill the cocking slot with a strip of beech, after sawing the cocking slot square. Put 2 round pieces of beech in the front stock fixing screw holes. Then refinish. Mine wasn't great in the fact that you could still see the round places where the stock fixing screw holes were. Should have stained darker. Oh and you have to do the inletting. Not too bad. Just a bit of work with a gauge or Dremel. Also you have to do some inletting for the other trigger guard.

Talking about the S10. And seen that some people are enjoying BSA piccies in this thread lol.
    A S10 rebuild. A satisfying job
    Hade (hi or bye in Norwegian iirc)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Hi Bighit, were you able to see my pics ?

Norm
    Good morning Norm. If I may answer your question: the photos are still not visible. I'm sure that's the same for others as well.
    I find that imgur works really well. If you make an account on imgur.com, which only takes a minute, you can upload photos on there and then copy the "BBCode" and paste it in your message. We are all very excited to finally see your gun!

I can see the pics fine, looks like you are in to quality photography if all those wildlife pics are yours. Is that American biplane real or a model, hard to tell.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I can see the pics fine, looks like you are in to quality photography if all those wildlife pics are yours. Is that American biplane real or a model, hard to tell.

Baz
    Thanks for that Baz, yes all the pics are my own work, some from a few years back too. I love wildlife stuff, along with planes and sunsets ( you’d never guess that though )

If it’s the Yellow Navy Biplane in the Old Buckenham album then yes, it is real. !

I’m almost glad that few can see the Hornet gun pics, the more I look at them, the more I wish I’d done it slightly differently
    Trouble is the stocks got a bit of a shine to it and it’s hard to get a good picture, it does look better in real life - honestly

Norm